Bad info at a Baby Fair today

Kellyr2

I have no clue who the guy was (Lysandra, any idea? It was a man, tall, seemed to be an "authority" on carseats, was talking with a lady who apparently works upstairs and does the preemie carseat checks before they can go home) but he was giving out crappy info.
First, he had an AO and a Graco combo seat on the display table. I didn't see what the infant seat was.
Then in the back, there was a room where the baby fair workers were eating pizza and he was back there talking to a couple of the ladies and saying that he didn't like the AO - which I told him I was glad to hear - but then went on to say that he only didn't like it because it's hard to install. I mentioned it sucking that most kids outgrow the harness before 40 pounds and he shrugged and said, "yeah, but that seat says you can use the booster at 30."
Then, the worst, most mind boggling sentence I've ever heard come out of the mouth of a supposed "expert" - "The first thing I tell parents, is that they need to decide if they want to get a convertible, or if they just want to go from infant to booster." Now, at first I thought he meant, as in, one seat that will take them from infant to booster, like an AO. But no, one lady asked and he clarified - "an infant seat first, and then a booster seat."
:eek: Even if he just meant "combination seat" - holy crap, he's telling parents that babies should go straight from infant seat to FF??

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's terrible. I used to hear people give advice to go from a seat such as the Century SmartFit right into the Century NextStep, which was a FF combination seat. I used to hear people say that as long as they have outgrown the SmartFit, they are big enough to be in the NextStep. WRONG!!!!!!!

I hadn't heard advice that bad in quite a while. I'm so sorry to know that there are supposed "experts" out there who are giving terrible advice like that.

Lys

Senior Community Member
I know who you're talking about. He is the "safety" officer for the hospital.
I've given him my card at everyone of the last Baby Fair's they've had so he could call me to volunteer and never heard a word from him.
When I saw him at the last fair, he actually had some decent info.
I recently started voluntering there through the Red Cross and hopefully will be able to get up to the mother/baby unit to help with car seat checks.
He said they rarely check seats because the nurses are too busy to go downstairs at discharge to help the parents.
I wish I could have been there today. I would have had to say something to him about the misinformation. Maybe he did mean going from an infant ( baby bucket) to a combo seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC