car seats and wet swimsuits?

Jan06twinmom

Are there any issues with putting kids in wet swimsuits in their car seats?

Personally, I don't like to put my kids in their wet swimsuits in the car seats. I'd prefer to not get the car seats wet and have to worry about the seats drying. I also think that sitting in the car in a wet swimsuit isn't that comfortable so I would prefer to change into dry clothing.

I'm curious about what other people do.

Melanie

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I let my son ride home sometimes with a wet swimsuit. Long term, I'm sure it's not a good thing in terms of fabric color fading.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Since it's uber hot here, I let the kids get in the car with wet suits when we go to the water park to make the drive home more tolerable. Everything, seats included, are dry by the time we get home but that's what happens when its 115* outside.

scoutingbear

I usually have them change. But if they forgot clothes or whatever, no big deal. If they aren't dry by the time we get home, the seats will be dry within 5 minutes of the kids getting out of the car.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I always change DS after swimming before we go to the car. My main concern is that he's in a swim diaper and those don't really absorb and I don't want pee all over the seat if I can help it. We might do it differently when he's out of diapers.

leighi123

I just take all of ds's clothes off right before we are getting in the car, so he is nakey in his seat. Its only a quick drive home from the beach though. From the waterpark I usually change his clothes, but I also give him a full shower there first. If its a quick ride home and he is going to shower when he gets there, I don't want to mess up a clean set of clothes! (and we always arrive in swimwear)

menfusse

I leave them wet, but the drive to the city pool from my house is literally 2 minutes. I can see it from here, lol. I just make sure they aren't dripping and if the seat feels wet, I leave the windows down a bit to make sure it's dry. We only swim a couple of times a month, so it's not a big deal here.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
When I had my van, I used to leave them in wet suits, because the AC in my van was garbage and it would be a million degrees in there after baking in the sun all day. That kept them cooler on the drive home. With my Pilot, I usually have them change, but damp (not dripping) suits wouldn't wig me out, either. Except maybe in the Radian, since it has the foam and that might disintegrate.

scariestone

I haven't ever put him in the car in a wet swimsuit. With a pool I'd be worried about the chlorine ruining the cover or car's seat. From the beach, I just don't want all that $#&@^ sand in my car. Most people seem to have no trouble leaving the beach sand free. I'd love to know their secret. Maybe I should start spraying DS and I with Pam before we go.

julia94115

BABY POWDER! That's the trick for getting all the sand off. Just sprinkle it on and rub it around a bit, like a lotion. Voila!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I always bring a change of clothes... but yesterday we were at a park that I didn't know had a water feature so of course the kids went running right into it. I just stripped him and changed his diaper and put him in his seat in just a diaper for the ride home.

SavsMom

Suit come off dd, I usually just take it off and then put a t shirt on her for the ride home. I dont want her seat to be wet and nasty.

Sent from my Vortex using Car-Seat.Org

Mags462

Since it's uber hot here, I let the kids get in the car with wet suits when we go to the water park to make the drive home more tolerable. Everything, seats included, are dry by the time we get home but that's what happens when its 115* outside.

:yeahthatlove: Same here.... since they are boys, i have them take their rash gaurds off and then they sit in their trunks. But the walk to the van usually gets the trunks to a barely damp state and the drive home isn't terribly long. We aren't frequent swimmers - i would worry about fading from the chlorine water if i went all the time..... so i would probably change them if i did. But for our 3 or 4 times a summer jaunts i don't worry about it. :)

kater-tot82

8yo DD usually changes into clothes unless her suit is only damp. And if we are at our friend's house, which is a 5min ride home. We live 20min from a public pool so we change if going to that. I don't like seats getting wet if I can help it.

Mommy0608

I never put my kids in their seats with wet suits. We climb into the back of the van and they get changed there before getting in their seats. Works out well for us.

Cryssy Jane

we go to the splash park every so often in the summer. They're usually in trunks and a rash guard (matching so we can watch them easier). The splash park is walking distance from my house but we're lazy and it's easier to drive. There's no chlorine it's like water from a hose. As long as they aren't dripping wet, I'll strip rash guards and change diapers. Most of the time though they'll strip themselves and go home in a clean diaper and a t-shirt. It doesn't get very hot here so if they were soaking the seats would be wet for a while.

jenfrogmom

I do once in a while. I usually ride home in a wet suit, too. Since I only swim like 3 times a year, I don't worry about it too much.

jasminegrl

I always change her, she wears a reusable swim diaper and that thing holds water like there is no tomorrow so we remove it in the shower area of the locker room so i can put it in the spin machine to get the water out of it.

Kat_Momof3

I always have them change... for girls, being in a wet swimsuit out of the water for more than 30min can cause them to develop Trichomoniasis (a nasty infection)

When we're just doing the splash zone at the zoo, they're dry in like 10 min just because we only go on hot days... but I have the kids change if they aren't before we leave.

With the beach, I carry baby powder ... the boys do it themselves and I do myself and ruthie... baby powder all over, but especially crevices to get out all the sand, put back on the clothes we wore there (and I bring underwear) or (if we just had swimsuits on from the start because of the heat) the clothes I bring... and then we go home and everyone showers.

I probably wouldn't make the boys go quite so into it, but if I do it with one, I have to do it with all... and if I'm doing it for myself, they need something to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC