Backless Booster for 9 year old?

SuperMommy

Hi everyone. I have a question. I hope this is the right place to post it. My son just turned 9 and asked if he can remove the back from his Monterey and make it backless. I took some pictures of him in the seat and want to know if he looks ok in it? He does sit still in the car. I think his age and maturity is appropriate I just want to make sure his body is ready. Thanks for any advice :)

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If he can sit up and not slouch 100% of the time, I would not have a problem with it provided that there is adequate head support which it appears there is. A backless booster is an appropriate seat for a 9 year old.

SuperMommy

Thank so much for the replies. Hes does sit properly. He is not one to slouch or fidget in the car. The article was very imformative and helped. I will keep an eye on him to make sure he keeps sitting properly if he does we will leave the booster backless. If he starts to slouch and move we will just add the back again.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Does he sleep in the car? For my charges that age, they are allowed to be backless, except on long trips when they might sleep (and fall out of position.) If your DS still sleeps, I might make the same compromise with him. Otherwise -- I feel 9 is a totally appropriate age to go backless (even if it does squee me out a bit to see it in my rearview, lol.)

SuperMommy

That is a good idea for long trips. He generally does not sleep in the car unless it is the really long ride to Grammies house. I know what you mean about seeing the backless booster in the rear view window. I was totally freaked out seeing that today. Everytime I checked my mirror it just looked wrong lol.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
O/T but is the dog crate secured in any way to the floor? I would be afraid that it would hit the kids in a crash :twocents:

But I agree with the booster recs :)

SuperMommy

O/T but is the dog crate secured in any way to the floor? I would be afraid that it would hit the kids in a crash :twocents:

But I agree with the booster recs :)

I meant to mention the crate. Yes it is securly tethered down to the floor. It does not move at all. We got a special tether to hold it in place. I didn't want my dog to be free in the car. I am kind of a safety freak even with my 4 legged babies lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC