Can't decide if I need to bring DS2's seat on the plane...

KelliBella

I am making myself crazy, and DH is tired of talking about it. We are flying cross country with three full-fare ticketed kids, and of course bring a seat for 2 year old DD. DS2 is 4.5 years old, but he is only 29 pounds, and very small for his age. He normally rides in a FR85 or a Nauti.

It would be much easier to not bring a second car seat, but I worry that he would not nap as easily without the comfort of a harness. We would probably bring the Nauti, and throw it on top of the double stroller to get through the airport. I know the tray in the plane would not work with it.

What to do, what to do? :p

Would you be comfortable with a teeny tiny 4 year old in only a plane lap belt for 7-8 hours of flying?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would take it. I flew with the three kids a month ago and did not take a seat for my 5yo. She was miserable and uncomfortable the whole time, enough so that I considered buying her a Frontier on vacation to use for the return flight.

jnamommy

I also would take it. When we had a 6 hour flight with my then-almost-5yr old ds a couple of months ago, the carseat was awesome for the plane - he was able to get comfy and sleep.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
On my flight I ended up holding DS on my lap for about an hour, turning the CCO FF and putting DD in it (she looked ridiculous, her whole head is above the shell, but at least she could sleep). That way we all got about an hour of sleep (our flight was from 1am-6am).

mam521

If you don't want the bulk of a big seat, you could look at a reasonably inexpensive Maestro. Nauti is a beast to haul around...

KelliBella

My big question would be if you don't take a seat, what will he using when you arrive at your destination?

He will be riding in a Nauti, either ours or my IL's. They had purchased it for my oldest a couple of years ago, and we had been using it as a HBB the last time we were there. I would just put the harness back in for DS2.

As far as the weight/bulk of the Nauti, I am so used to hauling around the FR85, that the Nauti really doesn't seem so bad. Like I said, we will have a stroller to get it all the way to the gate, and DS2 is really comfortable in it.

I am definitely leaning toward bringing it now.

littleangelfire

Well, then my answer would be you know your child best. I flew with my then 5-year-old son last summer and did not take a seat on the plane, and he did fine. Of course, he is a lot bigger, don't know how much that should factor into it or not. If you wanted to buy something, if you fly often, you could look into getting a CARES harness for the plane. I think I saw them for $60.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC