Graco Smartseat Questions

sunnyday

What is the general opinion on this seat? How does it fit newborns and how does it do as a booster? Also, another (possibly dumb) question: how does the height adjust? Worth the money?

For someone that already has an infant seat and a couple of convertibles, would this seat ever be worth it for me? I think it looks really nice and I wish it had been available before my daughter was born. The girl cover is so pretty too :p

ADS

Kobain's Mommy

Re: Graco Safeseat Questions

Do you mean Smartseat? I believe someone posted a picture of her newborn in one and the harness was to high.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Fixed the title. Here's a blog review... http://carseatblog.com/8834/the-ultimate-graco-smart-seat-review-with-tons-of-pics/
For me, it has a lot of room for improvement, primarily the ease of snapping it in the base, and the ergonomics of the padding aren't terrific for a lot of kids (ie, not comfy). One parent at BRU told me she put it away till the infant seat is outgrown, won't use it RF because it was like her kid was sitting in a bowl with his feet straight up, so it seems like it might have the potential to make people FF younger than they would if they thought their kids looked more comfy RF (just a speculation there...I'm sure none of the rules of average parents apply when we are talking about US and our passion for RF as long as possible no matter what :cool:)

Pixels

I posted DS in it as a newborn. Definitely does not fit. I tried him again at 4? months and still didn't like the fit.

With older kids, it often pushes the head way forward.

IIRC, the height adjusts by squeezing a thing on the top, like the Nautilus.

Pixels

Even with the infant insert, the bottom harness position was about an inch too high, and the bulky harness covers (required) wouldn't fit into the non-space between his shoulders and head because he was shaped like, well, a newborn, with no neck. I wasn't able to tighten the harness near adequately and he was complaining. Also, the harness covers pushed the harness out to the edges of his shoulders, not on top of his shoulders where the harness should be.

When I tried him again at 3 months, the harness was finally below his shoulders (It should be, he shares seats with DD without changing harness slots - third slots of the Radian) and he finally grew a neck so the harness covers had a place to go, but they still pushed the harness out to the edges of his shoulders. The infant insert ended at an awkward location on his back.

Three year old DD's head was pushed forward without the infant insert. I don't know precisely what her complaint was, but she did not like the SS at all. She usually loves playing carseat and won't get out of seats, but she asked me to get out of the SS.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=160107 has photos. First post is with DS at 15 days, last post is at 3 months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC