Hmmmm, Should I? Regent Q.

Morganthe

I have until June 9th to decide on this, so all comments (except truly nasty ones ;) ) are welcome. Until that date, there is free shipping on 2 or more Baby items through Target.com.

With the advent of the new Britax Regent cover & the fact we might be either doing a lot of long distance driving or getting stationed overseas again in 10 months, I am seriously considering purchasing a Regent. BUT before I do, I want to try one out and see what it is like in real life. How does it fit my car?, does my daughter like it?, can I install the bloody thing?, can I see past the head area in the rear center spot? -- you know -- the really need to know questions :p

The nearest Toys R Us is 190 miles due east and I don't know if it carries the item. I'd call, but it's a very long boring & gas guzzling drive, so the only practical way I'd be able to check it out would be to order it online. I'm considering ordering it through Target and returning it after I test it all out within a day or 2. I dislike the old covers and I think even the Blue Bonnet one won't breathe enough for hot TX. Then when the new Recaro comes out, I'll have some sort of idea which one will suit my needs better.

So what do you think? Am I certifiable?
I was suprised. I thought trying to find the second Baby item would be difficult, but I need refills anyway for our Diaper Driek. So at least one item won't be returned :shrug-shoulders:

The one question I do have -- how high is the weight limit of a child before a Regent is required to have a top tether used -- and what age might that be around given that my dd is a shade under 37lbs at over 3 1/2 years old?

TIA

Last edited:
ADS

mominabigtruck

I do believe it is 50lbs when it has to be top tethered. I would do it, I don't feel bad in the least when I go to bru and harass the workers there and then buy nothing and go online and get what I need. And on the upside if you reture the regent instore to target someone else is going to get a great deal on a brand new regent because don't they mark down returns of stuff they don't carry instore.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
50 pounds, a couple years away (like 4), and you can get a top tether installed in your camry (99, right?)for a couple hundred bucks (or sweet talk your dealer and get it cheaper). It's not great for sleeping, but it's comfy...if she's a car sleeper, skip it...if not...hmm... harder to say.. ;)

TxMomma

The only bad thing I forsee ordering from Target is you have to pay sales tax. They don't have the Madison instock either, if that's the one you want. www.elitecarseats.com does though. I just ordered mine from there.

The weight is 50 lbs when you have to use the top tether, I'd say you have a couple years at least.

If you were close I'd let you try mine out :) But TX is huge and you are probably hours away lol.

I hope I answered at least some of your questions.

Morganthe

I"m planning on returning it, so the sales tax would also be refunded. No worries there. I'd order through Albee baby or somewhere out of state later on.

Reason I ask about the top tether, is if we end up overseas, especially in England, there's no guarantee that I'll be driving the Camry. I'd want to have a right hand drive in England. Anyway, I have no loyalites to cars anymore. We've gone through about 8 in the last 12-13 years. :rolleyes: From what I understand, Euro spec vehicles don't have a top tether. So I'm trying to anticipate :shrug-shoulders:
Maybe they will have them by then. I don't know what they're planning on. :confused:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah, gotcha on the top tether thing. (that camry sticks in my craw, I always have to get on a soapbox about it, lol). Thre are some seriously fantastic booster seats in the UK (Concord Lift, a few others), such that I wouldn't stress too much about keeping her harnessed forever, know what I mean?

Lys

Senior Community Member
Ah, gotcha on the top tether thing. (that camry sticks in my craw, I always have to get on a soapbox about it, lol). Thre are some seriously fantastic booster seats in the UK (Concord Lift, a few others), such that I wouldn't stress too much about keeping her harnessed forever, know what I mean?

:bow: to the Concord! I :love: their boosters. If I could import a seat, it would be that one!!!

LuvBug

did you call the local baby stores and see if they have them?? BRU just recently added them to their stock, but a lot of specialty baby stores have been carrying them for a while. Maybe you will get lucky

CandCfam

did you call the local baby stores and see if they have them?? BRU just recently added them to their stock, but a lot of specialty baby stores have been carrying them for a while. Maybe you will get lucky

This is what I would suggest too.
Britax has a dealer locater online you can use to see if any B&M stores local to you carries Britax, then you can call and see if they have a Regent.:thumbsup:

arly1983

Make sure that you check to see if a specialty store will refund you in cash NOT store credit.

(I once had $400 in store credit that expired in a year:eek: )

LuvBug

I wouldnt buy one from the specialty store, just see if they would let you try it in your car. I think most will since they want to move them quickly.

CandCfam

Make sure that you check to see if a specialty store will refund you in cash NOT store credit.

(I once had $400 in store credit that expired in a year:eek: )

I think she's just wanting to try it out, so I'm thinking a store would *hopefully* let her take it out to her car to see how it installs and if her DD likes it.

Morganthe

:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:
Y'all have forgotten! I have NO BABY STORES, specialty or not that even carry carseats within 190 miles :p You so funny, all of you sweet people :love: :D
I know how difficult it is to envision how empty West TX is if you've never experienced it personally. Heck, I"d love to not have a clue :p With gas at over $3.00, I'm not driving long distance to locate a carseat, especially when I'll be driving to get a bed from IKEA for dd in a couple of weeks. That's going to be 4 hours each way minimum regardless the locations in North Dallas or South Austin. :(

We have one Target & 2- 24hour Walmarts. The Target does have Britax, but the Marathon only, I think, no Regents for sure which is what I need to consider. I just saw that they're building a second Lowe's, so perhaps a SuperTarget MIGHT arrive here in conjunction with it. But that could take a long time. :shrug-shoulders:

I'm going to go ahead and order it from Target.com today. Then I'll have a chance to try it out which I wouldn't be able to do any other way.

Thanks so much for the info and the help. You all are truly the best :D I'm sure when it arrives, I'll have lots of questions too. I'm sure it has been like understanding an elephant from only 4x6 photos and brief written descriptions. ;)

luvmy2

Are there any baby stores around the IKEA store you are going to be visiting soon?
I'm originally from southern Ohio, and there is nothing there either, so I feel you on that.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The sun has ris, and the sun has set, and we ain't got out of Texas yet....:D

Seriously, y'all...I've driven from San Francisco to Houson quite a few times... that part of texas is... devoid of high end retail...to put it nicely.

:cool:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Devoid of high end retail is an understatement.

But there are some pretty nice baby shops in the vicinity of Ikea.

There's a Toys R Us in Frisco that was quite nice. I can't recall what they carried in Britax. I'm sure there are some others as well.

I love Ikea.

Morganthe

Are there any baby stores around the IKEA store you are going to be visiting soon?
I'm originally from southern Ohio, and there is nothing there either, so I feel you on that.

What a small world it is. My friend who is going with me (so I can USE my back seat instead of having a child + carseat) went to college in South East Ohio. I can't remember the name, but it was definitely in the backwaters almost on the KY border. She says this isn't much better, but at least everyone has electricity.

Yeah, I've been debating visiting a baby store during the IKEA trip. It's been hard though. The Frisco (North Dallas) store has USA baby nearby & we'd pass by the TRU location. The problem is that I've done that trip already and with dh as experienced as he is in international navigation, we still got so far off the right roads, it added 45 minutes to our journey :( Other than DFW International, there's just no sense of distance or location in the area. Add to the mix lots of road construction, heavy traffic, and sun constantly in the eyes, I really don't want to return to that mess. My friend is also a driver, not the navigator, so neither of us feel to confident in our ability to do this without a lot of backtracking.

The Red Rock location is 30 miles south or so of Austin, but the store is more of a direct line via back highways from where I am. Much easier to get to, than Frisco store. North Austin has the baby shops. But my priority is getting all the pieces of the bed that I'm purchasing into my Camry. I don't see a problem, but I wouldn't be able to use my back seat anyway :shrug-shoulders:

I have a feeling, we're both going to be enjoying the atmosphere of civilization too much to try to search for another store.
Besides, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable trying out a carseat outside of the store and then saying -- "Sorry, I"m just looking because I don't have the money just yet" :eek: I know a person can do this, but it's just not my way.

My friend has NEVER been to an IKEA and after looking through my catalog, she's eager to experience it :D There's also a Whole Foods nearby AND a World Market. :thumbsup: We're going to have fun on a budget :D

This is what I'm getting dd. The Head & foot areas 'fold down' to extend the bed all the way to 6feet eventually. It's still as wide as a twin & I"ll be able to sit with dd instead of busting her 50lb limit toddler bed that she's outgrown.
ViKare Bed Info
67198_PE180791_S4.jpg

The basic bed frame + rail ^
Complete Bed v
10125_PE084948_S4.jpg

For 1- 3pt mattress, 2 clip on bed rails, 2 mattress covers, & one bed frame -- approx. $250 with tax. Much better than I could find anywhere else for a complete set. Plus dd LOVES foam mattresses much more than the Spring inner coil.. blah blah expensive posterpedic name brand mattresses & a bed frame set ;)

Since the middle rails aren't that long in comparison with a full sized twin frame, I shouldn't have any difficulty getting them into my trunk either sideways or through the center :D

Last edited:

LuvBug

:ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:
Y'all have forgotten! I have NO BABY STORES, specialty or not that even carry carseats within 190 miles :p You so funny, all of you sweet people :love: :D

lol! Yeah I live in the middle of no where too, but there is a baby store about an hour and a half away that carries the regent(and I didnt know they existed until I happen to drive by when I was lost)... they didnt have any instock but they were on order.

Morganthe

Well, I did it. I ordered the Regent. Not sure the style name, but Target says it's "Tan and Gold". ummmm, does this look like tan and gold to anyone?
51J4CGVFRYL._SS260_.jpg

Doesn't matter if it comes in the other pattern, since I'm only trying it out, I guess.

It took longer than I thought it would to order since diaper pail refills apparently are not considered "Essential Baby Gear" :rolleyes: Laugh all you want you cloth-diaper mommas at that one :p :D I find mine useful to dispose of feminine hygene products too :thumbsup:
I ended up with an Eddie Bauer Seatback protector that has pockets on the bottom for $9.99 to receive free shipping and drop the $18 off the total. I"ll put it on the back of dh's seat since that's the one that dd LOVES to prop her feet on. :D

Now that delimma is over, I can enjoy my chaotic Sunday morning in peace while dd is sniffling in her bed.

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Well, I did it. I ordered the Regent. Not sure the style, but Target says it's "Black and Gold". ummmm, does this look like black and gold to you?

Black and gold *could* be the Classic pattern????? That was a limited-release cover, though, so I doubt it.

Black and gold *could* be the Sahara pattern????? That would be kind of a strange description, though. :)

Black and gold??? Hmmm....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC