Considering head excursion

tl01

Okay, so I haven't really worried that much about how much space was available for my child's head in a crash before. Mostly, this is because we have always driven pretty big cars. Now, one of our cars is not quite as big so with the help some people here on the board, I've measured our car to see if it has a reasonable amount of space for head excursion in a crash. I'm curious how may people have measured this space in the car before. I'm not asking in order to point fingers if you haven't, but even as a tech, there was no training about how to measure if there's an appropriate amount of space for head excursion. Also, for many people, there may not be a way around a seat install that doesn't have enough space and obviously a seat is better than no seat.

As a tech, would you speak with the parents about putting the FFing child where there is more head excursion room if the current position doesn't afford much room?

ADS

Pixels

If I can see a better option (usually the center, for an only child) then I'll mention it while we/the parent is choosing which seating position.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ditto. Also, if there is like NO head excursion room and the child fits rear-facing in the seat, and the seat would fit rear-facing in that spot/vehicle, I'll mention that as an option.

canadiangie

Yes.

As recent as last weekend. Working with family who had their 18m/o FF outboard driver in an older Ram extended cab (not quad/crew cab). Rear facing was not on the table, for a few reasons, that I won't go into. Anyway, I strongly encouraged them to have the aftermarket TA moved to the centre seating position. The child had very very little HE room behind the driver.

I keep what I say on the simple side, but I do not treat parents like idiots. For the most part they have no idea how far forward their child's head is going to move. Explaining the importance of adequate HE room just seems like the right thing to do. It also helps parents think twice about over reclining their own vehicle seat (a safety risk all on it's own), and strapping things like DVD screens to the backs of the front head restraints.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I posted this thread last week, I think, asking about HE in my vehicle... so it must be in the water. It has some interesting info, including about why they measure from the point several inches behind the seat bight. Thankfully I'm able to arrange my vehicle in a way that I consider to be ok, HE-wise, but it still looks awfully close to me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC