Car beds

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Guard-Infant-Car-Bed/dp/B000F1ONMA"]Amazon.com: Angel Guard Infant Car Bed: Toys & Games[/ame]

for up to 9 pounds.

THere is the hope car bed by merritt, but it is 850. 4.5 - 35 pounds, 29 inches, more if legs can bend.

http://www.eztether.com/PDFs/Merritt_Manufacturing_HopeCarBed_Literature_6-12-10.pdf

cosco dreamride se, 5-20 pounds.

http://carseats.babycatalog.com/infant-car-seats/ultra-dream-ride-22022FSM

http://www.saferidenews.com/SRNDNN/SafetyTopics/ProductLists/Preemie/tabid/145/Default.aspx

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Of the 3, the Hope is by far the easiest to install. The Cosco is the worst. Usually you'll be working with whatever the hospital has though. They are typically ordered through hospitals.

Eclipsepearl

Just curious, what is the safety of these beds? Are they just used for preemies? Here in France, they're used for normal transport of infants. I was talking to my dh's (French) cousins and thought that it was strange, and possibly dangerous, to use this for their full-term newborn, in good health, when they had a convertible seat. Was I wrong?

Pixels

Car beds really aren't that safe at all. I mean yes, of course they are much better than nothing at all, but they are nowhere near as safe as a rear facing, semi-upright seat. They are only to be used for an infant who must lay flat for transport, such as a newborn who experiences oxygen desaturization when semi-upright, or certain other medical conditions.

Car beds fall into the category of special needs restraints, along with seats that don't have a hard shell (86-Y, EZ-On vests, RSTV, Go) and what we usually think of as "special needs restraints" (Hippo, Special Tomato, Traveller Plus, Monza). Special needs restraints (and traditional restraints when tested above 50 pounds) do not have to meet any of the injury criteria - no head injury criteria, no chest Gs, etc. They just have to stay attached to the test bench, and keep the dummy in the restraint.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That said, the Hope was really designed to provide at least more safety than the traditional car beds we've had on the market. While I'm never thrilled when a child has to go into one, and would always recommend avoiding all but strictly necessary travel in one (to and from the doctor, etc.) I feel more confident in the Hope's crash performance than the traditional car beds- the tethers help a lot with that confidence, as does the ease with which it installs properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC