Car seat related...but not car related. Please read.

NYFarmWife

Hi there,
Today's most random question, I promise;-)
Our cars/trucks are well equipped at this point. BUT...we have another situation. We have a farm. We all spend a lot of time in tractors, with buddy seats. The buddy seats aren't huge by any means and are pretty flat and boring....but do have seat belts. Obviously we don't need a "proper install" as the max speed on any tractor we have is 25mph and average is about 10:) But I'm looking for the smallest/lightweight/el cheapo car seat that we can move around a lot and put where we need it. It would always be FF..as otherwise the driver couldn't get in and out...something that happens often.
I have a Radian XTSL in my car...but it's heavy and I don't want to constantly move it and jeopardize the install in the vehicle that goes way quicker and has FAR less steel around it:)
Any advice?

ADS

jnamommy

I second the Maestro. It is very lightweight (I can carry it with one hand), and very reasonably priced. And the cover comes off easily - a plus if you are on a farm I would think :rolleyes:

NYFarmWife

I know the Scenera fits well on a buddy seat in both Case and newer Cat tractors ;).

Haha, you rock!
We have a Magnum, Steiger, Claas Chopper and JD Combine & Windrower:)

Baby isn't here yet:) Just planning ahead---it's what I do. Earlier on he'll just be in my ergo while I ride shotgun w/hubby.

rxmommy

If it was me, I would be more concerned with preventing falls than with crash safety.

yes this, although my girls have not ridden in the tractor with daddy except on the field (not on the road) and they were old enough/big enough to sit still. Except even with multiple warnings, Evelyn last year couldn't figure out to hold on when the beeping meant the tractor was going to bounce for whatever reason. (They were baling hay with daddy, and I'm a city girl, I have NO idea what the beeping meant - a bale was done?! lol). She kept falling off the seat and so she opted to get out ASAP.

I've never thought of putting a car seat there and I think DH would decide that I've gone off my rocker. :cool:

NYFarmWife

All of our tractors have enclosed cabs and 2nd seats equipped with seatbelts. I'd never put a child on an open station tractor.
Here's one of ours:

T

treyton2011

I know the Scenera fits well on a buddy seat in both Case and newer Cat tractors ;).
Hi, so I realize that this post is a year old, but I am wondering if there are any new rec's for FF car seats for farm tractors? I had my husband measure the jump/buddy seat in our Case 485 tractor and he says that there is only 12" between the arm rest on the driver seat and the bar that goes across the door. The Scenera says that its dimensions are 17.5" wide, so I'm not sure how J-Max was able to get hers to fit, unless she doesn't have either the door bar or the arm rest.

BTW, my son is 14mo, was 27# and 31.75" at his 12mo well check in March. Normally yes he does RF but in a tractor that isn't an option and he loves to ride with Daddy. It would be nice to be able to send him sometimes so I could get a little bit of a break.

Any suggestions??

Thank you!!!

mommycat

No idea about tractors in particular, but the Scenera sits up on a bit of a base with the shell flaring over it, so maybe it just puzzled over the armrest?

I think the radian might work, the classic one was 17" at its widest point and only 13" at the base of the seat; but very pricey for what is essentially just a better way to keep the child from wiggling out and not really crash protection. The only other reason i see is if for some reason the tractor rolled over so then you need a good harness.

If you are in Canada (or even if not if it is just for in the fields - are tractors exempt from motor vehicle car seat laws?) I would try out the Harmony V7. It is not a big seat do it wouldn't last that long but hopefully long enough for the child to know better. It has a harness to 50lbs and about 16" tall, it is a ff only seat. I measured it at about 16.75" at max.

Would the Coccoro do? That's narrow as well.

And speaking of not needing a rated seat, if there is a seat back on the buddy seat, and if the seat back is tall enough, I would consider using a Cares harness for kids within the range for that. (did I read right that the belts are lap belts?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC