Question RF or FF 3 yr old?

Wy`sMom

My daughter is 3yr 3mon old, RFing in a TFP and is 34 lbs. I am torn between turning her and buying a radian to continue RFing. We have a new baby coming in December so the TFP will be used then. She has no complaints sitting RFing and I know it's so much safer. If we turn her I might get her a frontier when the baby comes which makes alot more sense but the thought of turning her now makes me sad!
Any ideas what to do? I guess I am just looking for some opinions and support!!

ADS

Jan06twinmom

My daughter is 3yr 3mon old, RFing in a TFP and is 34 lbs. I am torn between turning her and buying a radian to continue RFing. We have a new baby coming in December so the TFP will be used then. She has no complaints sitting RFing and I know it's so much safer. If we turn her I might get her a frontier when the baby comes which makes alot more sense but the thought of turning her now makes me sad!
Any ideas what to do? I guess I am just looking for some opinions and support!!

I can see why you are torn. Both of your ideas are viable options. You've done a great job rear-facing her to the maximum of her seat. I don't think anyone would criticize you for turning a 34lb 3+yo child forward-facing in a True Fit. Then if you make the decision to keep her forward-facing, the Britax Frontier is an excellent long-term choice.

I think that buying a Radian to keep her rf longer is also a good option. What car do you have and do you know how a rf Radian fits in your car? If the rf Radian works in your car, I would probably go with that option since it will also allow you to keep her rf long and then it could be used to keep the baby rf longer too. Between the True Fit and the Radian, you would get a lot of use out of these seats over the long term.

Melanie

msg221

I just went through this same dilemma. My 3 year, 3 week old godson is at 34lbs. and my 2 year, 11 month old grandson is about the same weight as well and both ride in a TFP in my vehicle. For the past couple of months, I've been torn up over the decision to buy another convertible with a higher RF limit to keep them RF or to just go ahead and turn them FF. Well, when I was able to get a Radian 80SL last week for $97, that made the decision much easier! The new seat will be delivered on Thursday and the boys will be in that seat and I will move my goddaughter (my godson's twin sister and a peanut, at only 27 lbs.) into the TFP and the MA70 that she is in right now will either be a spare seat or I may have a buyer for it. I just wasn't ready to turn them yet. My godson will likely be turned in his mother's car because I think she is fine with him FF. She briefly had him and his sister FF for about 3 weeks last year and then I convinced her to turn them back and they've been that way ever since. I just feel better keeping them RF in my vehicle. If they want to be turned when they are 4, I would probably be okay with it. Actually, my grandson has been FF for a few months now in his parents' vehicles. But as long as the boys are happy RF and still fit, I will leave them that way even when they are beyond 4!

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I personally feel that if you can RF them, then do it. If you have to buy a new seat anyway, I'd go for the radian, it can be passed down to your noob when they need the higher RF weight limit and I think both seats FF would get you to a safe booster age.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

kalamos23

I'm in a similar position, we had a radian xt and dd was 37 lbs for a long time so she rfed. Well she gained and went over 40 lbs last month, so I turned her reluctantly. A few days later, we got backed into and I got to replace the xt with an xtsl so she went back rfing. This morning I weighed her and she was 44lbs, so I will be happy if I make it to her 3rd birthday in 2 weeks still rfing.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

bnsnyde

My 3.5-year old is 35 lbs. :)
I think we'll get the xtsl to keep her RF for as long as we can. But in the spare car she is FF since the Radian is just too big.

bella_1818

Buying a Frontier is probably going to be the most popular and logical option. With the super latch issues I couldn't buy a Radian XTSL right now. If I had a second child who could use the seat 3-4 years from now I'd be sorely tempted to import.

Mags462

Parental decision IMO - and since i am not the parent i cannot say what is best.

For MY child, he RF to the limit of his seat and then i turned him. Also a TF.... and now that it's summer, he wears less and is moving more/eating less so he is back down to the 32ishlb range dressed so he ride RF again. But when i was faced with that decision, i chose to keep the seat i had and use it FF. :)

Stelvis

I'm in the same boat. Not gonna ever own a Radian again after my Superlatch issues, so I think we're going to be FFing shortly. (I do have a FN 85 installed in DH's car, which he's ridden in twice, including once around the neighborhood to check his fit). I'm at peace with it.

Phineasmama

to be honest I would probably just buy a Frontier or similar. I like the Radians for ERF but they aren't very comfortable for my kids FFing- or at least that's what I found with my 4yo DD. So I would still want to buy another harnessed seat for her after she turned kwim? I actually just got her a Recaro Prosport and it's awesome! She rides in a Frontier in DH's car.
I had DD RFing until nearly 4 years, and DS is actually riding in a true fit right now but he is only 30 lbs at 2 1/2 years. I plan on FFing him after he hits 35 lbs.

3 years is definitely my goal for him RFing. I think we will probably get to more like 3 1/2 with this seat though.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
MaggieQ said:
I personally feel that if you can RF them, then do it. If you have to buy a new seat anyway, I'd go for the radian, it can be passed down to your noob when they need the higher RF weight limit and I think both seats FF would get you to a safe booster age.

This is my thought exactly since you will be buying a new seat anyway :)

babyherder

I'd get a radian and install with seatbelt (as long as it works in your car). Then when your dd is too heavy to rf in the radian your little one can rf in the radian and your dd can ff in the TF. Then you get more rf time and you don't have to worry about if the radian is comfortable for ff.

Mommy2Marcus

I personally would turn her FF & get a Frontier 85. My personal age for FF is 3 years. My son RF'd to 3 years 4 months & then I turned him FF. I then bought him a Nautilus. I felt comfortable with him FF at that age.

Ninetales

In this situation I'd be fine with turning. I personally won't buy SKJP products so that's what I'd do if Radian was the only RF option.

SAHDADDY

This is my thought exactly since you will be buying a new seat anyway :)

:yeahthat:

1000% :yeahthatlove:

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think either option would be okay. It depends on your personal preference. Personally, I would try and RF, but if money is tight or something, I'd be okay to FF as well.

StPaulMom

I was recently in a similar situation. My DS is 3.5, 30 lbs and until 2 weeks ago was in a RF TF. He asked to turn around a few months ago and we said "later". He kept asking. We decided that at 3.5 his opinion had some weight so even though he's still within the RF weight/hight limits, we turned him. I sometimes still want to turn him back around, but since he's over age 3, I'm ok with FF at this point.

Wy`sMom

To be honest with everyone my biggest hesitation with the Radian is the seat belt install. I love my lock offs on the True Fit. I am worried about tipping and such. I did install it once with latch and it was ok but I don't know if I would trust latch anymore. I guess I should just go and try it again! BTW I am in Canada so the Radian is going to be $300.

aeormsby

Since you have time before you NEED to get another seat (when the baby comes).... turn her FF in the Truefit and see how you feel about it. Both of my kids turned FF shortly after they turned 3yo. 3yo was my goal for them and with DD the highest RF limit seat was 35lb (our seats RF to 33lb). Even when the 40lb RF seats came out about 6 months later I was still OK with her RF.

You HAVE kept her RF to the limits of her seat, that's awesome! Since you'll need to purchase a new seat anyway you could keep her RF, but personally I'd go with something like the Frontier, it's good for 9 years so even the new baby will get a lot of use out of it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC