Need reassurance about Cloth Diapering being cheaper than Sposies

lovinwaves

Ok, so I just purchased my first Cloth Diapers. I bought new 6 Fuzzi Bunz, and 2 Bum Genius "one-size fits all". That total order cost $140

My DD just turned three and is trying to potty train

DS is 20mths and is not even close to potty training.

So here is my question.... I am pretty sure I need to buy more Cloth Diapers to go exclusively Cloth Diaper Day and night (which is what I want to do), because all I have is 8 diapers between the two kids. But I don't want to fork out another $100+.

This just doesn't seem right? Like I have to keep buying cloth diapers as my kids get older to match their size... So how is this cost effective?? :confused: Mainly, because I am so late in the game when it comes to Cloth Diapering I just don't feel that buying these Cloth Diapers is saving me funny (Emphasis I "I Feel", which doesn't make it right, so please help explain how it is cheaper :) )

The used ones are still $10-13 a piece.

ADS

ThreeBeans

It's cheaper, believe me ;)

And yeah, you need way more than 8. A good number for a toddler is enough dideys to go two-three days between washing...so twenty, minimum, per kid.

I wouldn't worry too much about your three year old, he'll be trained soon enough, but the 20 month old is likely to be in dideys a long time yet.

The nice thing about fuzzibunz is you can sell them after baby outgrows them. Although my 15 month old has been in size mediums for 10 months. ;)

luvmy2

You bought FBs? I bought size Larges for my son when he was 7 months old, and he wore the same size until he just pt'd at 26 months. :)
They are WELL worth the money. At first we used them only at home, then I started double stuffing them to use them overnight, and eventually we used them when we left the house too. I didn't have 20 of them, more like 12, and that would get us 1-2 days before I had to wash them.

lynsgirl

I've gotten all of my FB from FuzziBunz Seconds and had no problems with them at all. They don't come with an insert, but that's ok with me, because I'm so not in love with the microfiber ones they're including, anyway :p . Right now, I wash every 1-2 days. I have 15 diapers that I use right now, 4 of which are one-size pockets (3 BG and one Pampered Cheeks). Ds3 is 7.5mos old and currently in medium FB, which he'll be in for a long time.

ETA that I see FB Seconds is now offering an optional MOE insert for $3.00. I don't see any mediums right now, but their stock fluctuates.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, once you stop pouring money into pampers, you'll see that it's cheaper... I have a huge stash of cloth, and use sposies sometimes and just want to gag when I fork over $17 here and $13 there for packets of pampers. (try laying a thin washcloth or wipe between the diaper and the bum, so your kids can feel when they are wet... that makes them train a LOT faster, you could be almost done with both of them this summer if they know when they are wet and you work on it a little)
:)

LuvBug

how often would you say you buy a pack of sposies? and how much do they cost? If lets say you are buying a pack a week for $10 then after 13 weeks(3 months) you have spend and thrown away the same amount as those cloth diapers cost. Now those cloth diapers, you use them and wash them daily, you get 6 months out of them and then you need a new size, you sell them for half their original price(assuming they are in good condition) and so you only spend $65 for 6 months worth of diapers, where if you were still using sposies it would have been closer to $260 worth.

Does that help any? Its like with the carseats. You buy a $40 one now and in 2 years buy another one and then another and then another... or you buy the $200 now and not have to buy another for a very long time...

Trust me it is worth it :thumbsup: never forget that you can sell them when you are done(assuming they are still usable ;) but you would have to be really hard on them for them not to be usable). Its been a while since I added it up, but I THINK- if I remember correctly- that in the 2 years he was in diapers, after buying and selling the different sizes I only paid about $250-300(initial cost minus what I got back for selling them). So essentially I only paid about $300 for 2 years worth of diapers, where lets say I was buying a pack a week at $10 a pack for 2 years it would have cost me over $1000 to diaper him and they would have just been thrown away :(

Niea

I've been CDing for nearly a year and a half and it's much cheaper.

Remember, you don't have to do Fuzzibunz or any speciality diapers all the time. We use Swaddlebees pockets for the daytime, but for nights we just use CPFs and Bummies wraps. We also have a stash of newborn IPFs which we use to stuff the Swaddlebees.

The Swaddlebees were, by far, the biggest investment but we are happy we did so because it simplifies things for DH and DD's childcare provider, and does make things easier for when we're out of the house. But we found CPFs + covers to be the best for nighttime because you can put as much absorbancy as you need. We spent about $50 for 3 dozen prefolds and 5 covers. That's a lot of diapers!

So you could use PFs and covers most of the time, even, and just leave the FBs for when you need the convenience. By all means by more FBs if you want to, but it's totally not necessary, either.

lovinwaves

how often would you say you buy a pack of sposies? and how much do they cost?

Thanks Luvbug, Dh and I were just looking at our budget. We spend about $40 every 1 1/2 mths. So definitely not $10 a week. With Sposies I don't have to change them that often. Although, with these new Cloth Diapers I am not changing them as much as I thought I would be doing. Those cloth inserts really hold ALOT of pee. LOL!!

lovinwaves

So you could use PFs and covers most of the time, even, and just leave the FBs for when you need the convenience. By all means by more FBs if you want to, but it's totally not necessary, either.

Hmm... those CPF's and cover sound like what I should buy next. I know I need more diapers, but DH is NOT up for the idea to spend $18 a piece on 12more diapers, ya know?

So, now I need help with Prefolds? What are they? What brand? Can I get used? What kind of covers? How do they stay on?

arly1983

Hmm... those CPF's and cover sound like what I should buy next. I know I need more diapers, but DH is NOT up for the idea to spend $18 a piece on 12more diapers, ya know?

So, now I need help with Prefolds? What are they? What brand? Can I get used? What kind of covers? How do they stay on?

Little-lions.com sells some awesome, Prefold, cover, snappis packages.

jennsmile

Chinese Prefolds,

You probably want premium ones. They stay on with Snappies. You can get bleached or unbleached. I have had both. You can let you child go around in just a diaper, so you change them more often or you can stick a cover on. Let's see, there are nylon pants you can pull on, ones that snap, ones that velcro, and knit or crochet soakers. They all work and it is a prefrence. I like pull on nylon covers by Dappi, they are cheap but get the job done. Of course they are harder to resale than a Fuzzi Bun...

Jenn

oxeye

The reason they have been so much cheaper for me? You can sell them when you are done with them! I sold off all my small Fuzzi Bunz for about 80% of the cost I paid for them brand new. So I diapered DD2 in those for 6 months for only $50 maybe? (plus washing cost - but that's not much really).

It's a big cost up-front, but you definitely do come out way ahead. :)

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
The reason they have been so much cheaper for me? You can sell them when you are done with them! I sold off all my small Fuzzi Bunz for about 80% of the cost I paid for them brand new. So I diapered DD2 in those for 6 months for only $50 maybe? (plus washing cost - but that's not much really).

It's a big cost up-front, but you definitely do come out way ahead. :)

ITA! I embroidered all of my FB beause well, solid FB just weren't cute enough :whistle: I sold them almost for the exact same original cost. Can't beat that. It's like they never depreciate in their little clothy value :thumbsup:

Suzibeck

I got my diaper service quality prefolds as baby gifts so they didn't cost me anything. I'm now using them for cleaning and other jobs around the house. My perferred diaper was a prefold, pinned with Dritz diaper pins, covered with a nylon pull-on pant. Dh preferred the fitted diaps and all-in-ones.

My sister got diaper service quality diaps for dirt cheap by calling the diaper service in her area. They sold her a ton of diaps, she had twins, for $1 apiece. They had been retired and she had to sort through to find the best ones but it was a really good deal. She really found a lot diaps that were as good as new. I'd recommend this route if you are really worried about spending a lot.

KissTheCook

granitesmith on ebay has good diapers, and naturalbabies.com
about 80% of what I've had has been prefolds. I love them. They're cheap, they wash cleaner in fewer rinses, dry reasonably fast, have a million and one uses...
We're buying more for Babygirl even though we'll have to pay to wash them. I told hubby we'd be spending about 10-20/wk the first few on diapers, maybe a tad less if we get generics vs. about $3-4 a week to wash/dry them.

LuvBug

Ive got some prefolds, but I think they would be too big. They are toddler indian prefolds. I LOVE indian prefolds much more than chinese.
What size fuzzi bunz were they in again?

southpawboston

we're trying out some CDs that our friend is giving us... they are FB's. we're starting out with 4 to see if we like them, and if so, we'll stock up.

but one thing that no one here has mentioned is that you use a lot of energy in terms of hot water, and water usage, using CDs that you don't use with disposables. if you have to pay for hot water, that adds to the cost. i'm not saying it's still not cost-effective to go CD, just something to think about if you're going through all the calculations :).

a question: are you supposed to use special detergent with CD's? or can you use whatever you're already using? (we use the tide that is free of dyes/perfumes). are friend gave us some "special" detergent that she said has to be used with the FBs, but after reading the ingredients, all i can ascertain is that it's an all-natural detergent.

arly1983

I always used Charlies Soap because it was recommeded. I once used All F &C and our soft water caused a bad build up on our cloth so then I had to strip in the dishwasher....

oxeye

I just used Arm and Hammer powder - worked great for us. Fuzzi Bunz can repell liquid if they get too much detergent build up and we've had some of our diapers in use for nearly three years and have never had that problem.

My wash routine was this - cold wash with no detergent, then hot wash with maybe 1/8th of the scooper of detergent full. You don't want to use too much detergent or it will build up.

This worked really well for us - never had smell issues and we have an HE washer which can be tough for cloth diapers sometimes.

Ahh, I already miss cloth diapering. *sniff sniff* It's the only time I'm ever excited to talk about laundry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC