Advice please! 2011 Ford Edge vs Escape?

jama

We are looking at a second car and DH wants a Ford b/c his mom works at a dealership and he wants to go through her. Our other car is a Honda Odyssey, which is the only car we take the kids in, but with a second car they would ride in that occasionally as well. Both are RFing.

So between the 2011 Ford Edge or 2011 Escape, I'm wondering which might be safer? It looked like they both had similar safety features but I am still researching them both. We might go with AWD/4WD (can't remember which offers which). Also I've looked it up a bit and one thing I found here is that some people have issues installing a car seat in the middle seat of the Edge? I am hoping it is possible..?

Would appreciate any info! :) Thanks!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Just in terms of crash testing performance, the Edge is a Top Safety Pick from the IIHS (due to better roof crush test results that disqualified the Escape from being a top pick) and the Edge also did better in the 2011 NHTSA testing (4-stars overall vs. 3-stars for the Escape).

jama

Just in terms of crash testing performance, the Edge is a Top Safety Pick from the IIHS (due to better roof crush test results that disqualified the Escape from being a top pick) and the Edge also did better in the 2011 NHTSA testing (4-stars overall vs. 3-stars for the Escape).

Thanks! That helps a lot. Do you think AWD tends to be safer (even just as far as everyday dry condition driving) or does it depend on each vehicle? Thinking about the Edge with AWD.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
For everyday driving, I think AWD or 4WD offers basically no improvement in safety at all. It would basically just be a reduction in fuel economy. That's because it offers no improvement in handling or stopping, even in inclement weather. Those features, like stability control, are present and equally effective in either a 2WD or AWD version.

The main reason to get AWD is if you do serious off-roading or if you live in a hilly area or rural area with unplowed roads and essentially need this feature to avoid getting stuck or losing traction. For most other typical drivers in urban and suburban areas, it's just not a major safety benefit.

For most people, far more important than the presence of AWD would be the presence of high quality all-season tires or even winter/snow tires if you live in a cold climate. Unlike AWD, good tires will improve your handling and stopping ability, even in bad weather conditions.

So, to get AWD or not really depends on where you live and whether you really intend to do frequent off-roading or not. If you're like me in a suburban area (Chicago) that gets snow, AWD may get you going from a stop sign a little bit quicker, but otherwise is really just not necessary at all for most drivers. Plus, the extra cost, extra maintenance and lower fuel economy are big prices to consider if you don't really need it.

kathysr98

My mother has a 2011 Edge & we've been very happy with it. It seems more substantial & drives much better than the 2008 Escape she had previously. If you choose a model that slides the driver's seat back after turning off the vehicle, the Safety First True Fit or Evenflo Triumph Advance or 65 are good options. My mother's is a limited model with almost everything & she didn't want the carseat to rub on the driver's seat.

BrendansMommy

I admittedly know nothing about the Edge. But, the Escape/Mazda Tribute is near and dear to my heart. It has gotten us through 3 wrecks, 2 of which were major wrecks beautifully. Check out my thread called "This is why we care so much about carseats" on the carseat chat board if you want to see pics of the 2005 Tribute from the wreck that we all walked away from on Monday.

cookie123

I admittedly know nothing about the Edge. But, the Escape/Mazda Tribute is near and dear to my heart. It has gotten us through 3 wrecks, 2 of which were major wrecks beautifully. Check out my thread called "This is why we care so much about carseats" on the carseat chat board if you want to see pics of the 2005 Tribute from the wreck that we all walked away from on Monday.

I was totally impressed by how your Tribute did. My window sticker said I have 4 wheel drive. It's either always on or comes on when it needs to, I don't even know.:eek: I have a V6 and it consistently gets 20 mpg. It's noisy. Lots of wind noise and things clunking around back there!

What seats are you using and what are your kids' ages and weights?

Also, I've got 100,000 miles on mine now and so far nothing's been wrong with it. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

The Escape/Tribute is ANCIENT. The car is essentially 10+ years old. A new one is FINALLY coming out in a year or so.

macmomma

I had a 2008 Edge and I LOVED that car!!! I miss it:( If we did nt keep adding on kids and needed the extra space I would have NEVER sold my Edge- it is just great!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC