CA 65 are most of you still using them more upright?

I am trying to decide what to do, I have mixed feelings.. I guess it would help to know what other informed car seat mamas and dads are doing with theirs.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I ditched mine. They say it passes at 30 degrees, and I fully believe it. They also say it does better at 45, which I don't believe for a second. What very little trust I had in that company is now gone, so I will no longer use their products (just as I had vowed before the CA).

smackeen

I am still using mine. I think it is about 38-40 degrees. I am not sure if I would use it at 30 degrees, but I was definitely not able to get 45 degrees.

mine installs around 40 degrees anyways, but the line is far from level with the ground. ( I have hinges that mine gets caught on in the car that makes it more reclined, because I can not make it flat on the seat)

Ninetales

Mine is at about 36 right now. I am replacing it because I feel the same as LISmama. I don't see how the angle they want can possibly be safer than a more upright one for older babies and toddlers, especially heavier ones. I don't trust them.

momtotwogirls

When it gets used it will be upright but Im also worried how it could possbely do better with an older child at the 45 degree angle opposed to more upright when they admitted it is safer for an older child to be more upright. Mine is still for sale along with my ETA

zeo2ski

Well it's either use it more upright or FF a new 3 y.o. I'm using it. I don't know what the angle is, but it looks identical to the angle of my KF with the bubble level where it should be...but I found the line on the CA shell and it's way more upright than that line says it should be.

I can understand where it could do better at 45 than more upright. With most seats, an older, bigger child would be nearing the top of the shell and ramping up over the top would become a possibility, but not with the CA--there's still a ton of shell over almost ANY 40 lb kid, so they're not going to ramp out. So my thought is when it's more upright, the back of the head would have more force on it because the child is going straight back into the shell rather than ramping up it. When they ramp up, the harness/child's shoulders would be taking more of the force. Make sense? *I'm not a tech*

christineka

I've put mine in the closet and I'm trying to sell it. I am still undecided, though I feel that it would probably be fine at a 30 degree angle.

christineka

I can understand where it could do better at 45 than more upright. With most seats, an older, bigger child would be nearing the top of the shell and ramping up over the top would become a possibility, but not with the CA--there's still a ton of shell over almost ANY 40 lb kid, so they're not going to ramp out. So my thought is when it's more upright, the back of the head would have more force on it because the child is going straight back into the shell rather than ramping up it. When they ramp up, the harness/child's shoulders would be taking more of the force. Make sense? *I'm not a tech*

I wonder if it has anything to do with the way they added shell height to the seat. Mine is very new- the latest model, yet it has a shorter shell with a shell extender added on to the top.

jessi f

I'm using ours more upright. I feel ok with it since dorel admitted it passed testing.

:yeahthat:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the way they added shell height to the seat. Mine is very new- the latest model, yet it has a shorter shell with a shell extender added on to the top.

Do you have pics of this? I'm trying to picture it in my head but I cant. I had one of the old 50 lb models that was replaced with a new one and didnt notice any difference in the shell height, just the little "ski" things on the bottom. Thanks :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
zeo2ski said:
Well it's either use it more upright or FF a new 3 y.o. I'm using it. I don't know what the angle is, but it looks identical to the angle of my KF with the bubble level where it should be...but I found the line on the CA shell and it's way more upright than that line says it should be.

Not really. Presuming people follow the 40" rule, then no, the kid's head isn't likely to hit anything.

But the farther back you are when the rotation starts, the farther down it's going to go.

Plus when you start out halfway back, the motion will put a tremendous amount of stress on the child's shoulders and will also strain the neck by pulling the head back. More upright is definitely preferable so the seat takes that stress, not the child.

That's why I feel Dorel is being disingenuous saying that older kids are safer at 45 degrees than 30 because I just don't see how that's possible.

Cryssy Jane

zeo2ski said:

See I don't really agree (not trying to start a debate). O is 36 ish lbs and has less than two inches of shell above his head. S is 38 ish lbs and has a shorter torso than O and he doesn't have tons of shell over his head either.

As for the seat. I was trying to sell mine before all this debate and um it's still listed for sale in multiple places with a brand new cover and doesn't seem to be moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Keeanh

I think Dorel is full of it. The "it does best at 45*" makes no sense. Now they are admitting it passed testing at 30*. Whatever. I'm using it FF right now, but if I ever need it RF I will do it in a heartbeat. I will just be a "normal" person and install it the way it fits in my vehicle, make sure it's nice & tight and that it looks good, and never mind the protractor ;).

NannyMom

:yeahthat:

Do you have pics of this? I'm trying to picture it in my head but I cant. I had one of the old 50 lb models that was replaced with a new one and didnt notice any difference in the shell height, just the little "ski" things on the bottom. Thanks :)

You don't notice it until you take the cover off. Another tech posted on here about the top part of the shell cracking around the screws, so I peeled back the cover to look at mine.

sunnyday

We have the original CA (50lb limit) and it's currently in our basement. I'm still deciding what to do, and lurking here mainly to find out what others are doing. DD's riding in the Scenera for now, but I hate having our "good" seat just sitting down there not being used.

jessi f

You don't notice it until you take the cover off. Another tech posted on here about the top part of the shell cracking around the screws, so I peeled back the cover to look at mine.

I just went and looked at mine :) I wonder when/why they started doing that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC