Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Dog supplies - Where to get the best deals?

We may be adopting a 7 year old Lab so will need to buy a bunch of stuff for him. Leashes, bedding, toys, grooming, the whole nine. Where do you guys go for decent prices? Amazon? Pet Smart? There is also a Tractor Supply Store, Agway, etc near us.

I say may be adopting only because we haven't met him yet.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Dog supplies - Where to get the best deals?

We buy all our stuff from Fleet Farm, which I suppose is like a tractor supply store?

I have to say that I think it's awesome you're thinking about adopting an older dog. They often get overlooked for the adorable pups. We have a 10 year old lab, so I have a soft spot in my heart for seniors. He is so mellow, nothing bugs him. But he still has enough energy to accompany me on 3 mile walks almost every day and leap off the dock into the river up north.

When he's gone, I will without a doubt, get an older adult or senior dog!

The only thing I don't buy there is his food. He gets Taste of The Wild, which is pricey, but worth it IMO. Most "cheap" dog foods are filled with grains and junk. It's amazing the energy he gained when I switched him from a Walmart generic. Not to mention he poop become more normal and his coat is beautiful! A 30lb bag last us about a month. He's a big boy though, almost 90lbs.
    Emily (7.5) Monterey / Eleanor (4) Frontier 85 / Samantha (22 months) RF Radian

I have multiple large dogs and I buy their supplies at Tractor Supply Co. The food prices are the best there. Like the pp, I also buy Taste of the Wild. TSC also carries dog beds, flea and tick meds, collars, leashes, water bowls, crates, dog treats, shampoo, brushes, toys, etc. They send coupons sometimes, too.

You can take your dog in there with you, too. Most people don't, but they do allow you to do so!

Thanks for the replies!
    Our really good friends run a lab rescue and in 5 years they never once asked us to adopt a dog. They knew we would come to them when we are ready. BUT, they finally came to us because this guy is supposedly *perfect* for us. If we don't adopt him, they are actually going to keep him because he's amazing. So even though I planned on waiting until all three kids were in school, this boy's throwing a kink in the plans, LOL!

Sent from my Nexus One using Car-Seat.Org

I also buy my stuff at a feed store (although not tractor supply, local stores). They tend to have better prices, and in the case of food, certainly better selection.

This is a local pet supply business near where I work but they also sell online or take phone orders. I think they have really great prices compared to the big chain stores like Petsmart & Petco, especially for large items like dog crates or the cat condo I bought for the two kitties we recently adopted.

http://www.ryanspet.com/

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)

Senior Community Member

I agree on checking whatever "farm type" store is in your area, they often have the best prices on supplies. Also, if you can snag stuff on sale on amazon there are sometimes some good deals if you're looking for something specific. For general "start up" stuff though I'd check a whatever farm supply store you have in your area. Also, go with stainless steel bowls, since they last forever and you won't have to replace plastic or ceramic. They're usually a little cheaper too.

ETA: I know you didn't really ask for "product recommendations" but I wanted to add in that the only thing I wouldn't buy cheaply is a good brush. For a lab in a climate that they're going to be shedding a lot (wide season changes) I would definitely spend the extra money and get a Furminator. It makes a world of difference! I was curious if it was really worth the extra $ so I brushed my rottie/shepherd mix with a "normal" brush then went over her again with the Furminator and got a plastic grocery sack full of hair out
    Mama to an amazing 8 month old baby boy and many fur babies!

Sold! on the Furminator. I've heard great things about it.

Thanks for the recs. Every time I go to Agway there are people in there buying numerous giant bags of dog food. I'm guessing that's the place to go locally. TSC is about 20 minutes away. I'm glad I asked because I would have gone to Petsmart first. I'll go to TSC first, then Agway and eventually PetSmart to compare all of the prices. I'm very relieved to know I can buy a bunch of stuff at TSC and not be worrying in the back of my mind that I'm getting ripped off.

I also agree about the Furminator. Our Aussie Cattle Dog sheds horribly and we have used it on her and could make a new dog out of all the fur that comes off her! I bought some Furminator shampoo as well, but haven't given that a try yet. I tried the Furminator on the cats as well and it works well on them too. They have long, fine fur, like an angora rabbit and it worked on them! I used the dogs, but they do have one for long haired cats that I am trying to find a good deal on. I bought the dogs' last year on Amazon. E-bay has great deals on them too.

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)

I know this doesn't help now but I know that in a few months Diapers.com is opening their own online pet supplies website! I'm pretty excited about it.
    DS 1/2009, DD 2/2011
    Britax Frontier & Turbo Booster SS
    Cruising in a 2015 Pilot and 2002 Jeep Liberty

I don't have a dog, nor do I live near a Tractor Supply Store so I can't say if it's cheaper - but Amazon.com has a subscribe and save feature on a lot of dog food. You save 15%, get free shipping if you sign up, which is free, and you set up a delivery schedule (monthly, every two months, etc...). You can cancel any time without penalty.

This is how I get my cat food (Nature's Variety Instinct), I save money, it's delivered for free and I get a new bag every two months. I love it! I even had an issue with a bag of food and amazon refunded my money (they won't take back grocery items) with no hassle.

It's worth looking into anyway

13. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krobbin2 View Post
    I don't have a dog, nor do I live near a Tractor Supply Store so I can't say if it's cheaper - but Amazon.com has a subscribe and save feature on a lot of dog food. You save 15%, get free shipping if you sign up, which is free, and you set up a delivery schedule (monthly, every two months, etc...). You can cancel any time without penalty.
    Nice tip! I'll have to see if they carry "my" food and crunch the numbers.

ETA: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Taste-Wild-Prairie-Formula-30-Pound/dp/B000W5SLB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308626091&sr=8-1"]This[/ame] is the food I get my dog. My local feed store (small business, not a chain) has 30 lb bags for $40.95, so Amazon's not a deal for me. I'm pretty sure my local pet store/boutique has it for a couple of dollars more than the feed store, which still makes it less than Amazon. Definitely crunch the numbers if you're trying to save!
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

We find that Amazon usually has the best deals on pet stuff, what's great about it is that if you don't know what to look for you can see results by best sellers or reviews. I find the reviews really help to find good products that you didn't know about before.

You can get a Prime Membership for being a mom!
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/mom/signup/info"]Amazon Mom[/ame]

So far we got our puppy a harness and have just started getting dog food on subscription to save another 15%.