Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Evenflo Embrace Recall - Commentary

While searching for info on another car seat related matter, I found this page on a lawyers website. I think he is spot on in his commentary on product safety, consumer rights, and corporate responsibility. I can tell you now that after reading this I won't EVER support, recommend, or purchase a product from Evenflo, and their entire manufacturing group, again.

http://www.riccilaw.com/CM/BreakingN...eat-recall.asp
    Ian James - 3.5 Years
    FF Learning Curve Truefit and FF Britax RA

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: Evenflo Embrace Recall - Commentary

Wow, that guy breaks down into numbers and probabilities what I had been wondering in my head. I had looked at how long they continued letting the problematic seats be used even after fixing the design on new seats, but hadn't looked at the percent of seats involved by comparing incidents with number of seats.

I've been debating the same question about supporting evenflo after this incredibly awful delay in issuing a recall. I guess what I'm struggling with is that many seat manufacturers have had incidents of one type or another when a recall isn't issued until someone forces them to.

So I guess I'm not sure that there'd be that many seat choices left if you quit buying from every manufacturer who refused to recall until forced to. Especially since we don't have very many seat manufacturers in CAnada... but really, if you don't boycott a company completely, how do you get the point across..

I don't know the answer.. but at any rate, thanks for posting that article. It was really interesting to read and really hits the nail on the head.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Evenflo categorized over 90% of those injuries as "owner usage error" thus leaving them (in their eyes) legally blame free.

Think about it, if the infant/baby was properly harnessed (tight, in the right position, chest clip in the correct spot) -- how many babies would have fallen out of the actual seat and have been injured? They might have bumped on the floor if the seat had landed on the ground. But I'd think that an automatic reaction would be to lift the seat higher as the handle made the 'bucket' area swing free. Baby would not be likely to be injured, especially as terrible as some of those listed injuries are.

I'm not condoning how long it took for a recall to be enacted. This is how any company is usually advised by its legal staff. First they look for misuse on the part of the owner. We've seen it a lot from You Tube and other photos how rarely a child seat is used correctly. Then it's how much the company to blame for fault. If all those babies were incorrectly harnessed, then Evenflo is not completely legally or ethically liable. I can think up a lot of dialogue for testimony that would let them be completely off the hook regarding how parents/guardians handle carseats.
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Good point. Leah took a completely far face dive forward in her SS1 once, landed like a turtle on the sidewalk, and she didn't get a single bump or scratch on her face or head...of COURSE her harness was done properly... I should have known better than to prop her on a Britax Verve Stroller, though, blush blush.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by Morganthe View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Evenflo categorized over 90% of those injuries as "owner usage error" thus leaving them (in their eyes) legally blame free.

Think about it, if the infant/baby was properly harnessed (tight, in the right position, chest clip in the correct spot) -- how many babies would have fallen out of the actual seat and have been injured? They might have bumped on the floor if the seat had landed on the ground. But I'd think that an automatic reaction would be to lift the seat higher as the handle made the 'bucket' area swing free. Baby would not be likely to be injured, especially as terrible as some of those listed injuries are.

If all those babies were incorrectly harnessed, then Evenflo is not completely legally or ethically liable. I can think up a lot of dialogue for testimony that would let them be completely off the hook regarding how parents/guardians handle carseats.
    That what I have alway thought too!

CPS Technician

They knew there was a problem, and so they redesigned the seat. If it wasn't an issue, then why the redesign? THAT shows they knew there was a problem, and then fixed it. What they should have done, morally and ethically (screw legality), was to inform their existing customers about the issue, and made the retrofit available to all. They instead chose to keep all of those seats in the retail channel, and only did the recall when forced. They cared more about their bottom line than our kids. That is why I'm permanently done with Evenflo and their associated brands.

Economic punishment is all that consumers have to force companies to act as they should. They didn't give their customers the benefit of the doubt. Why should we do so for them?
    Ian James - 3.5 Years
    FF Learning Curve Truefit and FF Britax RA