Recaro ProRIDE install issues

Cardiff Giant

Hi, all. We've just purchsed 2 Recaro ProRIDE seats for our 16 mo. old twins. I am having a great deal of difficulty installing them in our 2007 Volvo XC90. First I tried them rear-facing and when properly installed, I can lift the seat and fit my hand completely under the base. This doesn't seem right and the manual says that if this condition exists to put a rolled up towel or pool noodle (!) under the base. That doesn't seem like a great solution.

Then I decided that I would install them forward facing to see if that was any better. As hard as I try, I cannot get a tight fit. The top (head) of the seat butts up against the headrest again not making what seems like a proper fit.

Anyone have any suggestions before I put these back in the box and send them back? TIA!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For 16mo children, forward-facing is not a safe option and should not even be considered.

Check for tightness using one hand at the belt path. A towel or pool noodle can be used to adjust angle, but does not "fix" an otherwise poor installation. However, being able to tilt the seat towards the back is not a poor installation.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yup, what she said. Movement at the head is normal and safe. A pool noodle or towel is an acceptable way to change the angle of the carseat, but not something you use to make a loose install tighter. Having less than 1" of movement at the belt path is the only thing you need to check to make sure the install is tight enough.

Wendy

JerseyGirl'sMama

A pool noodle or tightly rolled towel at the bight of the seat (where the vehicle seat back and bottom meet) are perfectly acceptable to use.

Do you have them in the rear-facing recline mode? Are you installing them with a seat belt or the lower anchors (LATCH)?

It helps to pull the carseat tight to the back of the vehicle seat as well as pushing the carseat down into the vehicle seat. Try putting a knee into the area where the childs bottom would be. Tighten and check that you have less than 1" of movement only at the belt path. Use a firm handshake and move it side to side and front to back.

Cardiff Giant

Thanks for the replies. I am using the LATCH connectors. When installed rear-facing, by "movement" I meant that I could tilt the seat towards the back of the car so far that it would touch the roof. That doesn't seem right at all. I followed all of the instructions on how to route the straps for a rear-facing install.

I guess I'll try a rolled up towel under the base and see if it's any better.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We knew what you were talking about. A shorter seat would rebound into the backseat, rather than hit the roof. It's still ok. Even if you recline it with a towel and it still does that, as long as there's less than 1" of movement at the belt path only you have an acceptable installation.

Think of it this way. During a collision there is going to be a LOT of movement. Seats and people will be bouncing all over the place. Seatlbelt and LATCH straps will stretch. If your seat moves at the head, it will allow your child to remain still relative to the carseat, rather than holding the carseat still and having your child do all the moving. Even if the seat allowed tethering rear facing it would still move in a collision. That's all ok. If your child is still relative to the seat, then there's less chance of injury.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes. Rebounding/cocooning is acceptable -- even expected -- in a RFing seat. It's fine. And towels won't change anything.

If it really bothers you (and again, it is fine!), you could exchange for seats with anti-rebound features. Since you purchased ProRides, I'm assuming front-to-back space and price are not obstacles, so you could look at Sunshine Kids Radians, Britax convertibles, and the TrueFit Premiere.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Think of it this way. During a collision there is going to be a LOT of movement. Seats and people will be bouncing all over the place. Seatlbelt and LATCH straps will stretch. If your seat moves at the head, it will allow your child to remain still relative to the carseat, rather than holding the carseat still and having your child do all the moving. Even if the seat allowed tethering rear facing it would still move in a collision. That's all ok. If your child is still relative to the seat, then there's less chance of injury.

Yes, and another point to realize is that the infant seats I'm guessing you were using before would do the same thing in a crash that you're seeing with the ProRides. They're made differently, so a lot of times it's not possible to tilt them with your hand, but crash forces are much stronger and all rear-facing seats will rebound in a crash (except, as mentioned, those specifically designed not to.)

Oh, and I meant to add that the correct way to check if you've got the seats installed tightly enough is to put one hand on the seat at the beltpath you're using (rear-facing, in this case) and try to slide the seat back and forth. If it slides less than an inch side-to-side, you've got it tight enough. :thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It should move less than an inch side to side OR front to back when pulled with one hand where the LATCH strap or seatbelt goes through. Up and down is not an issue. :)

mama d

Are you pulling the LATCH straps through the hole in the seat? Tightening the straps by pulling through the hole in the bottom corner from inside the seat as opposed to pulling from outside the seat gets it much tighter. I got a much better install that way, I can go take pictures to show you if it would help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC