Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Train Trip

Train Trip

ETA: more questions in post 3

We will be taking the train to San Diego at the end of July and renting a car once we get there. The boys seats are covered (RSTV and HLR) but which do you suggest I bring for the baby? CCO or Radian? Obviously she wont be using it on the train, so we'll have to check it.

(Unless, of course, there is a cs.o member who wants to meet us at the train station with a seat to use. )
    Last edited by scoutingbear; 06-19-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Karen
    A: 11 C: 9 M1: 5 M2: 6 months
    [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Black"]

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Train Trip

I wouldn't check it. I'd bring the Radian and put it in the overhead. The CCO would fit as well (I've put a big Britax up there). I've also stored carseats at the front of the train car.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Okay. Part 2 and 3 or more of questions. We will also be taking a commuter train to get to the Amtrack train. Once we get to the station for Amtrack, we'll have about 1/2 hour. We do not have assigned seats for the 2 hour, 45 min trip to SD. Will we still have overhead luggage areas to put the stuff in? Suggestions on how to get 3 kids 2-3 duffles/suitcases (we are open to either), 1 pack n' play, 1 carseat (CCO or Radian...I am MUCH more comfortable with Radian installs but am comfortable with CCO with LATCH), 1 NBB, 1 Maclaren up onto the commuter train, off the commuter train and on to Amtrack without losing our minds? We've never taken the train and although we could drive and spend the same amount of time, we decided to try the train this time to give the vacation an added perk to the boys. So, any advice is helpful!
    Karen

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

You'll still have overheads.

Likely the porter will help you lift things up if there are stairs, or you'll just walk on the train. I don't know about a pack n play, I've never used one. But I would attach one carseat to rolling luggage, have A pull another suitcase, have C carry the NBB. Or maybe have C push the stroller with the PNP in it and the NBB on top, you with one suitcase and a carseat, baby being worn in a sling, and then the oldest with a suitcase as well. Or can you rent or borrow a PNP and a stroller there? Then you have you with a carseat and suitcase, baby in a sling, C carrying the NBB and A pulling another suitcase. Much easier.

You have two seats for three kids, though. Is there another one someplace, or an RSTV?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

The 3rd is the RSTV. Our stroller is a Maclaren, so I'm not worried about it taking up much room...besides, we can pile stuff in it. I thought about not bringing our pnp, but M only sleeps in her own bed and we just used one recently for a trip, so I'm hoping it will still be familiar enough to her to settle her down at night. Cosleeping is not an option for us, unfortunately. I plan on wearing M on my back for transferring on/off the trains and getting through the stations. I think I'm just over thinking things right now and, dh doesn't adapt well to new things so I need to be able to give him a specific plan of how we are going to handle the stuff. (I need to be told to go away and start planning stuff for C's birthday party instead!)
    Karen

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Do you have a Flash frame? That would make the stroller/car seat issue slightly easier. (We keep meaning to take the train to San Diego, and I especially wanted to do it when DD was littler just so I had an excuse to use the CCO/frame combo. But now it'll have to wait for the next one...)

With careful planning (who grabs/carries what) and your boys carrying some of their own stuff, I bet you can do it easily.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Oh, are you staying at a hotel? They might have a crib you can use. (Unless M needs her OWN bad vs just her own space.) Sorry if you already addressed that and I forgot.

Nope. Don't have the flash frame. And I don't know that I want to be installing/uninstalling the CCO all the time. Although I bet that would up my comfort level with it! So, yeah, that's also why I"m undecided on the Radian or CCO too. Radian folds and I think we have a carry strap. CCO is lightweight. Both are skinny seats to fit all the kids in the car. To tether or not to tether while driving around down there? Hmmm...
    Karen