Radian safe stop vs top tether

kidnurse

I was looking at a friend's FF Radian today and noticed that under 40lbs FF it says to use the safe stop OR top tether. Is one way any safer than the other, or do they both accomplish the same thing?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You use the safe stop with the top tether forward facing under 40 pounds. If there's no tether you don't use it. You would never use the safe stop and no tether at any weight.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually, you only use the SS when FF WITH the top tether (either seatbelt plus top tether, or LATCH) and under 40 lbs. So rear facing, FF over 40 lbs., or when not using a tether, you do NOT use it.

The SS reduces neck loading by slightly increasing head excursion to lengthen ride-down time- which is why it is NOT a good idea to use it when not using the tether, or over 40 lbs. :)

Lemonade

I was just checking this out in the radian manual last night. Luckily, I was doing it within guidelines (DD is 30# and seat is tethered). But for some reason a friend who has a radian gave me the impression that the safe stop was to be used in all FF situations. I know their DD could not be more than 40# but I may shoot them a note about it anyway. I know they RF'd their now-4 yr old until nearly 24m because there was too much harness FF with the SS until that point.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC