Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Flying Delta Tampa to NewYork with 5 yo

Okay I just spent the last hour searching and reading a lot of posts on this topic, so I know this has already been discussed. But I am still a bit confused. I am mixed on whether or not to worry about having anything on the plane, however I need something for the rental car. We have a Marathon and a Frontier, so I could take one of those. But after reading the new FAA reg's I am not sure if I can even take those. I guess my basic questions are what would you do in this situation. We will be doing a fair amount of driving and will be in the NYC area for a week. Also, I should add my son has never been in anything other than the Marathon and Frontier (except as an infant).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: Flying Delta Tampa to NewYork with 5 yo

As far as I know, FAA regulations haven't changed in regards to seats lately. If you purchase a seat on the plane for your son, you are entitled to use a carseat in it.

If I were lugging one of the seats you currently own, I'd take the marathon. Much lighter and easier to carry, imo, than the frontier.

CCO 4/15

Thanks for the advise. I was reading an FAA document here: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...%20120-87B.pdf

Not sure if they could make that document any more difficult to understand!

The airlines are also getting crazy with charging for checked bags. They can't count a car-seat as a carry-on can they?

I just read through the document. It pretty much says that as long as a child is under 18 and the seat that you bring has a sticker saying it is certified for use in aircraft that the airline has to accommodate you- so if your seat doesn't fit in the assigned seat, they need to move you to another seat.

I also just checked out Delta's site and they allow a carseat or stroller to be checked for free, if you need to. This would also apply to bringing the seat or stroller to the gate and checking it there for free. Although, if you've made it to the gate with the seat, might as well just use it!

CCO 4/15

Thank you very much, I think I will take the Marathon and then I will have it for the rental car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMacGyver View Post
    Thank you very much, I think I will take the Marathon and then I will have it for the rental car.
    The marathon fits wonderfully on a cheapo luggage cart. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Easy-Grip-Flip-Out-Platform-Capacity/dp/B000USIM5M"]Amazon.com: Sparco Compact Luggage Cart, Easy-Grip Handle, Flip-Out Support Platform, 150 lb. Capacity, Chrome: Home Improvement[/ame] I got one of these at kmart or walmart for about $15. With the latch hooks and tether, it goes on nice and solid. You will have to take it off to get the seat through security, but I found it pretty easy to do. Since your DS is 5, he can likely walk through the airport, but you can easily bungee your carry ons on top of the seat in the cart. Or if he needs a ride, I've pulled my kids behind me in the seat attached to the cart, with the kids strapped it. Makes flying with a seat so much easier.

CCO 4/15

Smile Re: Flying Delta Tampa to NewYork with 5 yo

I like that idea. Thanks

Leaving tomorrow and have one more question. I know a lot of people here have said they have traveled with Marathons and had no problem. My son is within the limits of the Marathon, but he looks (and is) much more comfortable in his Frontier 85. Do any of you have any experience with the frontier on a plane? I know there is the issue of hauling the seat through the airport, but my wife will have me loaded to my maximum capacity no matter what anyhow, so I don't care about that part! So as far as belting it into the seat, would it be about the same or ?? Thanks