Need cleaning help

april77

So ds threw up all over the car this evening and of course the straps of his Boulevard were covered with it. I sponge cleaned them with warm water and detergent, but they still smell so bad. He'd had a bunch of strawberries and banana right before we got in the car. Is there anything safe that will help with the smell? How much cleaning is safe? Can I sit the seat out in the sunshine tomorrow, to try and sun it out?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but ds (15 months) is still throwing up so I don't have much time to research and we don't have a back-up seat if he needs to go to the doctor or anything. Thanks!!

April
mom to 4 year old dd and 15 month old ds

ADS

april77

Thanks! This has been going around the Mother's Day Out program where I work/he's in the nursery. I thought we had avoided it but no. The vomiting seems to last less than 24 hours followed by several days of diarrhea. A lot of the parents have gotten it too, so I really want his carseat clean before I go down. The cover is washed and line drying. We have the onyx and it washed beautifully.

CandCfam

You just don't want to soak the straps. I think the sunning is fine, and hopefully will help.
Maybe some vinegar water solution to help clean the straps?

I hope your son feels better soon.

april77

I'll try vinegar/water in the morning. Do you think it would be safe to put a few drops of essential oil in the vinegar/water or would that be bad?

Thanks to everyone!

CandCfam

According to papooses' post here, Britax has okay'd the use of some *diluted* essential oils.

Britax OK'd my using diluted Peppermint, Clove & Teatree oils to help eliminate the smell -- pure essential oils must be diluted with olive oil, so I wiped the straps with a wet rag of that stuff (smelled great!), let it airdry & wiped again with a wet rag using Woolite/Dreft, then let that airdry.... That was a last resort, though & I don't actually suggest using anything without getting the OK from Britax.

april77

Thanks everyone!! I did a vinegar cleaning this morning, no oils just in case, and that seems to have done the trick. Now hopefully dd doesn't get what ds had, I've had enough car-seat washing for the weekend. Thanks again!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC