Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Anyone see Oprah today?

Our state coordinator sent out an e-mail to be sure to tell us to watch it. It was about car safety. The first family was in a limo in a head on collision at 70mph, they lost their 7yo dd. The worst part was, I bet it wouldn't have happened (her dieing) if she had been in a booster. She was decapitated by the seatbelt which means it was cutting into her neck, I felt awful for them. The next family was a grandma who accidentally ran over her 4yo grandson b/c she couldn't see him behind her SUV. It just made it more real, than no matter what WE do sometimes, things can happen, and that just made it more important to me to make sure I'm doing the safest thing I can for my kids.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member MySillyKids's Avatar

Re: Anyone see Oprah today?

I saw 'oprah' on at three on the tv listing, and 'something' told me to watch it. I didnt however, but it will be on again at 9pm!

Yes, I saw it, but the little girl in the limo was only 7, not in a booster and LAYING down in the seat with the seatbelt across her neck. I'd be willing to bet that if she'd be in a booster, she'd still be here. I wish the show had at least mention that children should be properly restrained at all times.
    Mom to 4

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

I never watch Oprah--darn, wish I had today. I know I would have been bawling.

Did they even touch on the booster issue?
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrookeSLP View Post
    I wish the show had at least mention that children should be properly restrained at all times.
    I guess that answers my question. UGH! Oprah sucks. I know her show has been emailed about doing a CPS topic, but it's never happened.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

CPS Technician

I wish they would've touched on that, but it was more of a focus on drunk drivers instead of actual car safety. It just saddened me that everyone else made it out alive exvept for her, even her 5yo sister who was being held by her mom. I guess in those cases it would be like blaming the parents and obviously no one wants to do that, even me, it's heart breaking enough to go through I'm sure w/out living w/ the thought that you could've prevented it.
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

Senior Community Member Melizerd's Avatar

I usually watch Oprah but didn't yesterday. A friend told me about the episode and I'm glad I didn't watch. I heard that the mother was found holding her daughter's head. It was a horrible horrible story.
    Mel,RN
    Married 13 years to a wonderful DH and mom to an amazing 8 year old boy.

Living the dream...Blogging about love, life and family

Senior Community Member MySillyKids's Avatar

I ended up watching it last night. I cant imagine finding my daughters head, and holding it.

I also cant imagine loosing one of my kids because someone ran them over

We have taken every precausion to prevent that from happening. Sad Sad Sad!

I know no one want to blame the parents, and for sure, it wasn't their fault that someone chose to drive drunk. BUT if that little girl had been in a booster she'd be alive. The parents do have some liability.
    Locally, we have had a family of 5 kids get hit. All were restrained in car seats or boosters. 3 of the kids died. The parents had done all they could, so accidents are not survivable, despite best practices.
    Mom to 4

Senior Community Member BABYGIRLLYNDSEY's Avatar

My husband and I watched Oprah yesterday. I cried through the whole show. So sad.
    Mom to four ages 25, 23, 18 & 11. Busia to my new grandson.

I watched the first 5 minutes and deleted it. It was way too hard.

Erika