FirstSeat...how did we miss this?

ADS

Wineaux

Wow! Ok, so now I'm intrigued. Anyone have the skinny on these new seats? Have they been showing off this seat at any of the recent conventions? When will it be released? Costs? RF weight limits? FF weight limits? Slot height's? Enquiring minds want to know!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow! Ok, so now I'm intrigued. Anyone have the skinny on these new seats? Have they been showing off this seat at any of the recent conventions? When will it be released? Costs? RF weight limits? FF weight limits? Slot height's? Enquiring minds want to know!

I'm with you! Never heard of it, neither hide nor hair... I think someone needs to email them and ask them for the scoop :whistle:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I wonder what a frontal crash test would look like with it, remembering the CR-inspired discussions of how designing seats to withstand side impacts may potentially affect performance in frontal collisions. And the Triumph sure makes it look good in the side impact crash video, whoa. Very interesting, wonder when it will be on the market. The site's press release dated Jan. 31st (this year presumably?) says it's in the final stages of testing.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Looking at that video I'm betting their seat is top-tethered. How else could they prevent that upwards movement of the seat shell tipping to the side with the impact? Would the triumph look the same if it was top tethered?

(Thinking out loud...)

Chameleon

Looking at that video I'm betting their seat is top-tethered. How else could they prevent that upwards movement of the seat shell tipping to the side with the impact? Would the triumph look the same if it was top tethered?

That's exactly what I'm thinking. They just have to make their seat look good.

natysr

Seems weird...

Wh are these people?

Their website says they are headquartered in Monterey, CA. It also says the company name is First Seat LLC, but I did a search with the california secretary of state (to try to get an address) and they are not registered with agency.

I could be way off on this, but for a product as important as a child safety seat...would you buy it if it is manufactured by an LLC? (Limited Liability Company).

LuvBug

I just heard back(quick and weird why are they emailing me at this time of night on a friday?? lol anyway) this is all I got from them:
Thank you for your interest in first seat. We really appreciate your
feedback, and yes the seat on our site is just a prototype.

Keep checking back with us we hope to have more information up on the
site within the next two months.

Thanks!
The First Seat Team.

wow thanks, I only asked them a million questions and this is all the answer I get? lol! very strange! I did tell them their seat is ugly lol! maybe I offended them :p

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hmmm, interesting response.

You know what I have to wonder? Why did they choose the triumph as the competitor seat? You'd think if they really wanted to make a point they would've shown multiple crashes with different brands of seats.

Probably premature to say this, but it seems kind of fishy to me - new company, not registered, nothing more than a description of a new state of the art technology and the only pic is one compared to the triumph in a side crash test. Maybe a vendetta against evenflo. (Sorry if it's too conspiracy theory-ish.) :eek:

Don't think I'd trust a completely new upstart company with a child safety seat... especially one that seems rather vague. And how weird for them to be replying at 12:30 midnight. (MTN time, if it's eastern it's already 2:30am.) :confused:

Out of curiousity, when was the domain registered? I don't know how to check that, but maybe one of you more web savy gals/guys can find out?

Wineaux

That was just automated email reply. You can set your email up to do the same thing. Their press release talked about frontal impacts as well, and that once they had a solid seat for frontal crashes, they then went on to focus on side impact crashes where every other seat out there is deficient. I'll bet you get a real reply via email on Monday or Tuesday when someone is actually in the office.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Seems weird...

Wh are these people?

Their website says they are headquartered in Monterey, CA. It also says the company name is First Seat LLC, but I did a search with the california secretary of state (to try to get an address) and they are not registered with agency.

I could be way off on this, but for a product as important as a child safety seat...would you buy it if it is manufactured by an LLC? (Limited Liability Company).

LLC is a corporate designation, you could still sue the cr@p out of them if you had to... ;)

I guess everyone has to start somewhere, I don't think we have any reason not to trust them if they make a good product... no point putting any faith in the seatmakers on the market that keep cranking out overhead shield seats, seats without EPS foam, seats without built in lockoffs, infant seats with handles that release and get recalled time after time after time...etc... It's hard to get funding for a new company, anyway, and you need millions to get a car seat designed and tested and to market.. could take years (They are probably hoping their design gets bought out for big bucks by an already-operating company...that's how it works in software, anyway... you design something and pray that Microsoft buys you out, lol).

And yeah, I'd still like to see more comparisons...but since tethering isn't legally required, that's really the best we can expect from a seat with a lapbelt unless there's some kind of lapbelt lockoff for FF, or some cool base design... I kind of think Britaxes wouldn't fly that far sideways, their bases are way more grippy to the seat than that rounded Triumph base...

Morganthe

What an annoying website! Sure, there's a video of a test. But there's not even a close-up photo of their wonderful groundbreaking carseat! I looked through the pdf of their press release & every link on their site -- no other features mentioned except talking about frontal & side impact safety.

How easy is it to install? What size child does it fit? How new is it? Is it only ff or does it rf?
There's just nothing on background. :(

TBH, so far, I'm not impressed. There's not enough basic information for any sound decisions on whether or not it's a good product :shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC