Britax Frontier 85 vs. 85 SICT

U

Unregistered

Anyone have any feedback on the Britax Frontier 85 vs. the Frontier 85 SICT? Is the SICT worth the extra bucks in your opinion?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Here's a blog review, I don't know if anyone really owns one in real life yet (here), to comment on it even more personally, but you can post a question to Darren at the blog... http://carseatblog.com/10016/britax-b-safe-and-frontier-85-sict-preview/
As a side note, we've been using the old Frontier for 3 years now, for kids as young as two and as old as 12, and everyone fits comfortably in it and it's one of our favorite seats. I don't know if I'd splurge on the SICT model, but it would fit in my old minivan's captains chairs and add some side impact protection, so I might.

Pixels

As far as I know, the seats are identical except for the cushions on the SICT, and the SICT does not require top tether use at any weight. The cushions make the seat very wide, and IMO it is unlikely that you'll ever be able to put anyone next to it, thus negating half the reason for the cushions (to protect a passenger sitting next to the car seat).

If I was buying a Frontier, I would buy the SICT just because of the tether issue. My vehicle has a 40 pound weight limit for the tether anchor, and DH's current vehicle has no tethers and we can't get the parts to get it retrofitted. Because of no tether, the Frontier85 would be unusable at 65 pounds.

bnsnyde

In my opinion, as a mommy obsessed wit SIP, I would get the SICT because of added protection, especially outboard. IF IT FITS.
I don't know that it would fit next to an Advocate (doubtful), in a 3 across situation in the van but since the Advocates are RF seats for us, it might work out fine that way smack against the SICT.

We'd get new seats or something if we had FF across. But we're not in that situation yet.

I plan to get the SICT for the spare car when my kids outgrow their Prosport Harness to Booster harness. I'll only ever get two seats in the Civic anyway so they can be HUGE.
For the van, with all the seats, though, the regular Frontier85 might be needed just for space issues. I wish I could play with all the seats and see how they'll fit, but as that's years away something else might come out anyway.

Last edited:

msuarez919

In my opinion, as a mommy obsessed wit SIP, I would get the SICT because of added protection, especially outboard. IF IT FITS.
I don't know that it would fit next to an Advocate (which we have) but since the Advocates are RF seats for us, it might work out fine.

I have a RF Advocate 70 CS and now the SICT and there's approximately 7-8" of space between the 2 seats in my '03 Nissan Altima. I haven't tried FF the Advocate (and won't for some time, my daughter is only 17 months) along side the SICT but I think it would work for our car. Btw, the SICT is approximately 24.5" across the widest part (at the cushions) if anyone is trying to figure out if it will work in their car.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Here is another blog from a month ago with some comments on the feature differences:

http://carseatblog.com/10287/britax-frontier-85-sict-unboxing/

Update: New review video: http://carseatblog.com/10551/britax-frontier-85-sict-review-video-and-feature-summary/

Amazon now has Onyx and Cardinal on sale for $271.99

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Frontier-SICT-Booster-Seat/dp/B004Z4U1QU/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1308756711&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Britax Frontier 85 SICT Booster Seat, Onyx: Baby[/ame]

Katy

I can fit the SICT between and next to RF radians. Haven't tried anything else yet. I got the SICT for the tether rule. I really don't plan on needing to have someone sitting next other than a RF. The SICT is plastic with air on the inside, not foam like I assumed it would be. I love how easy it is to get the cover off! I got a deal so there was not much of a price difference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC