Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Britax Frontier 85 vs. 85 SICT

Anyone have any feedback on the Britax Frontier 85 vs. the Frontier 85 SICT? Is the SICT worth the extra bucks in your opinion?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Britax Frontier 85 vs. 85 SICT

Here's a blog review, I don't know if anyone really owns one in real life yet (here), to comment on it even more personally, but you can post a question to Darren at the blog... http://carseatblog.com/10016/britax-...-sict-preview/
    As a side note, we've been using the old Frontier for 3 years now, for kids as young as two and as old as 12, and everyone fits comfortably in it and it's one of our favorite seats. I don't know if I'd splurge on the SICT model, but it would fit in my old minivan's captains chairs and add some side impact protection, so I might.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

As far as I know, the seats are identical except for the cushions on the SICT, and the SICT does not require top tether use at any weight. The cushions make the seat very wide, and IMO it is unlikely that you'll ever be able to put anyone next to it, thus negating half the reason for the cushions (to protect a passenger sitting next to the car seat).

If I was buying a Frontier, I would buy the SICT just because of the tether issue. My vehicle has a 40 pound weight limit for the tether anchor, and DH's current vehicle has no tethers and we can't get the parts to get it retrofitted. Because of no tether, the Frontier85 would be unusable at 65 pounds.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Here's my review of the SICT on Amazon... emphasis on the differences between the F85 and the F85 SICT.

http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Frontier-SICT-Booster-Seat/product-reviews/B004Z4U1QU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
    Marisa, mommy to Desmond, 4 years old, 38#, FF in a Onyx Britax Frontier 85 SICT - Mia, 17 months old, 25#, RF in a Cowmoo Britax Advocate 70 CS

CPS Fanatic

In my opinion, as a mommy obsessed wit SIP, I would get the SICT because of added protection, especially outboard. IF IT FITS.
    I don't know that it would fit next to an Advocate (doubtful), in a 3 across situation in the van but since the Advocates are RF seats for us, it might work out fine that way smack against the SICT.

We'd get new seats or something if we had FF across. But we're not in that situation yet.

I plan to get the SICT for the spare car when my kids outgrow their Prosport Harness to Booster harness. I'll only ever get two seats in the Civic anyway so they can be HUGE.
    For the van, with all the seats, though, the regular Frontier85 might be needed just for space issues. I wish I could play with all the seats and see how they'll fit, but as that's years away something else might come out anyway.
    Last edited by bnsnyde; 06-19-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

Quote Originally Posted by bnsnyde View Post
    In my opinion, as a mommy obsessed wit SIP, I would get the SICT because of added protection, especially outboard. IF IT FITS.
    I don't know that it would fit next to an Advocate (which we have) but since the Advocates are RF seats for us, it might work out fine.
    I have a RF Advocate 70 CS and now the SICT and there's approximately 7-8" of space between the 2 seats in my '03 Nissan Altima. I haven't tried FF the Advocate (and won't for some time, my daughter is only 17 months) along side the SICT but I think it would work for our car. Btw, the SICT is approximately 24.5" across the widest part (at the cushions) if anyone is trying to figure out if it will work in their car.
    Marisa, mommy to Desmond, 4 years old, 38#, FF in a Onyx Britax Frontier 85 SICT - Mia, 17 months old, 25#, RF in a Cowmoo Britax Advocate 70 CS

Here is another blog from a month ago with some comments on the feature differences:

http://carseatblog.com/10287/britax-...sict-unboxing/

Update: New review video: http://carseatblog.com/10551/britax-...ature-summary/

Amazon now has Onyx and Cardinal on sale for $271.99

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Frontier-SICT-Booster-Seat/dp/B004Z4U1QU/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1308756711&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Britax Frontier 85 SICT Booster Seat, Onyx: Baby[/ame]
    Welcome to Car-Seat.Org! Click to Post a Question. Please respect our signature guidelines. Thank you.
    These topics have useful information: Main Announcement, User Guidelines, Please Support Car-Seat.Org
    Please support Car-Seat.Org by using forum links to Amazon (please bookmark!), Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Albee and our Sponsors.
    All Website Content Copyright© 2001-2019, Car-Seat.Org, All Rights Reserved
    Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About Us

I can fit the SICT between and next to RF radians. Haven't tried anything else yet. I got the SICT for the tether rule. I really don't plan on needing to have someone sitting next other than a RF. The SICT is plastic with air on the inside, not foam like I assumed it would be. I love how easy it is to get the cover off! I got a deal so there was not much of a price difference.
    Nicholas ~ 8yr 50lbs ~ FR85 SICT Harnessed
    ~ Kassandra 12/24-29/05 and Nevaeh 10/21/06 ~ Safe in heaven.
    Karsen ~ 4yr 35lbs ~ ERF in S4ME
    Hailey ~ 3yr 34lbs ~ ERF CA65LX