06 Pilot, meet the Walking Disaster

VoodooChile

(The Walking Disaster would be me).
My mom, my sister, and I am taking all 3 kids (my 2--dd, 5.5, and ds, 2, plus dn, 3) on an outing tomorrow), so we're all going in my Pilot, so we can all go in one car. I NEVER use my third row (seriously, it's been used once, and not with car seats), so when I went to rearrange car seats this morning, well, it might have been funny to a casual observer...
1.Dd's seat is a Frontier80 (booster)--2nd row, passenger outboard. Not moving. No problems there.
2.Ds's normal seat is a classic Marathon, rf, 2nd row, driver's side outboard. We'd thought that dn could sit there ff (she's over the weight limit to rf in any of the seats we have). I haven't installed a ff MA in years, and the back part of the base is way off the vehicle seat if I want the back of the MA to stay in contact with the seat back (I did change the base recline). My dd had a serious thing about being reclined while ff, so I've always tried to install ff seats as upright as possible--am I just trying to make it *too* upright? B/c with the whole base on the vehicle seat, it would definitely be in dd's "tantrum zone", recline-wise.
3. The third seat is an ETA, which I've tried to put in the third row. I obviously prefer ds to be rf but the seat doesn't seem to fit, front-to-back. There doesn't seem to be LATCH back there. I tend to favor seat belt installs, since I have arthritis (probably RA), which attacks my hands/fingers terribly (they feel fantastic after this morning!) and digging at those LATCH hooks is less than ideal in most cases--so I don't look for LATCH right off the bat. Anyway, The belts are the kind that come from the ceiling of the car, snap into a smaller buckle, then go across (I'm sure there's a term for them, I just don't have my car manual handy). So I tried to install the ETA with one (passenger outboard)--no dice. I could NOT get it to work--the outside (away from the buckle) would lift a good 5 inches even after I locked the belt (I could hear it ratchet), and I tried a locking clip instead of locking the belt too. I'm not sure what else to do. My hands have about had it for the day, and the local tech is the one who insisted all rf seats MUST be at a 45-degree angle (dd LOVED that), that all rf seats needed the harness in the bottom slots only, and used a locking clip on my Marathon...

ADS

todzwife

No advice, I just want to say I feel your pain. I have an 08 Tribeca, and playing musical chairs with the car seats to get everyone to fit is a TOTAL PITA. It makes me REALLY wish I had a minivan every time we need to take anyone other than my own 3 kids along.:rolleyes:

VoodooChile

I think I have it figured out (LATCH install for the MA, 3rd row center for the ETA), but if I had to do 3 seats full-time, I'd probably implant my head into a brick wall!

rodentranger

5.5 yo FR center third row, 2 & 3 yo middle row. I can install teh FR80 center 3rd row LBP, *justbarely* with NO extra belt in my 03 Pilot. And then I want to cry and poke the eyes of anyone who suggests I take it out.:D

AnnieW625

No real help, but if I had to put a seat in the 3rd row of my 06 Pilot it would be the Frontier because I'd rarely have to move it. I too agree that my old original Marathon was a pain to deal with too and it was soo huge. I seriously love everything including the size of my new BLVD 70 (except the lockoffs, but that's not that huge of deal), and I will move that seat and install with LATCH (which I don't like doing) than move the darn Frontier.

erikanohelani

We decided to take my mom's '06 pilot out of town one day and needed 3 seats, at least 2 in the 3rd row. I spent an hour with several different seats and ended up with sore, red hands. I wanted to cry like a baby lol. Sorry, no advice.

rodentranger

I don't mind doing seats in the third row. In fact, I'm driving on three field trips this summer because I can get five seats and two adults in it fairly easily and I have the seats so other parents don't need to move their own.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC