Mirrors for rfing kids

opheliajoy

I've been surprised at how many techs and enthusiasts seem to have and even recommend mirrors in the back seat of the car. I have had emergency personnel, at two separate times, tell me that those things absolutely were not safe. They said that in a crash, they come loose and that they have seen many an injury from it.

What are your thoughts about them?
I'd love to have one to see my kids, but haven't found one I'd be comfortable using. I'd live to find a super coulee lightweight one.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Mine weighs about 10 ounces and is strapped back onto itself around the headrest.

In a 30 mph collision, 10 ounces (0.625 pounds) will be an 18.75 pound projectile, IF it comes loose. In a 60 mph collision that increases to 37.5 pounds of force.

To kill a child or adult, 76 pounds is needed to the throat, 2000 pounds to the head, and 400-4000 pounds to the chest.

So for me, the mirror is in the gray area. I don't recommend them and I don't bring them up in carseat checks unless I see the one the parents are planning to use. However, if the parent brings it up, I explain this. I would never do one that requires batteries at all, nor am I a fan of ones that aren't attachable to the car or back onto themselves somehow (though I used one for years between both kids, I still wasn't a huge fan).

The way I have mine set up, though, it would take quite a collision for it to come off of the headrest. If it does, a 10 ounce mirror is going to be low on my list of things to worry about. I'm going to be far more worried that I just rolled down an embankment and woke up three days later in the hospital.

Here's my car from the back. You can see my mirror on the driver's side headrest.

196117_1783677506293_1070139791_2076442_2781404_n.jpg

Wendy

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
what wendy said and in my opinon although I do not recommend them I'd rather a parent have a mirror...then to turn them FF because they can't see what they are doing

Chely7425

We have a mirror too (and some really light DVD players but that's a separate issue) and my logic is the same as Wendy's... For any of these items to become a severe danger it would be a really severe crash and I'm pretty sure I'd have bigger concerns at that point.

it may appear that I do not have a firm grasp of the English language... blame my iPhone

Ninetales

I made the decision to have one. It's not as securely attached but its about ten ounces too. I threw it at my own face a few times to test it and I'm comfortable with it. The mirror part is like a sticker.

Pixels

what wendy said and in my opinon although I do not recommend them I'd rather a parent have a mirror...then to turn them FF because they can't see what they are doing

My mirror connects to the top tether anchor in the back window. I like being able to see him.

:yeahthat: to both of them

I have one. I use it when I feel I need it, and take it down when I don't. DD just started unbuckling her chest clip, so I need to be able to keep an eye on that so that I can correct her when she does it. So for now, having the mirror is a safety issue, as in my child is not safe without it. After she undoes the chest clip, the arms come out of the straps.

I used it previously when she somehow leaned way out to the side of her seat. I still don't know how she did it, but there is no way she was still properly harnessed when her head was between the carseat and the door. I put up the mirror so that I could catch her doing it and figure out what was going on, but she never repeated it.

zactayaus

We use one in dh's truck for long car rides so ds3 can see the dvd player along with the other kids (we just angle it). Ours tethers and since he's in a seat that tethers RF'ing it would be highly unlikely that either would meet each other in a crash.

cryswilkins

I wouldn't tell a parent to buy one, and I would let them know the dangers associated with them, but I do not make a huge deal about them at checks. I had one for DS because he had reflux so bad that he would vomit and not be able to clear his airway. I needed to know if he was choking enough that I needed to pull over. I still use it now even though he has outgrown the reflux.

opheliajoy

Thanks! That makes great sense. I was wondering what people could do when their kids are seated so far away from them in vans, etc..,

momtoo3

I also have one for ds3. It wraps around the headrest, velcros and then has a clip. I can't imagine it ever coming off in a crash. Ds3 also tries to escape and it is my alternative to FF him in my van.

Emi's Mommy

Mine is very lightweight and attaches via the top tether anchor. I like being able to see her. I also have a feeling she is going to be an escape artist when she gets a bit more manual dexterity so it will be a must then to make sure she is still in her harness.

Cryssy Jane

I don't have one and I usually don't recommend the usage. However I'm getting a very refluxy baby soon who chokes on her vomit so I do feel that I'll be getting a mirror in the very near future. That's a medical concern and I need to make sure I can see her to make sure that doesn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Can some of you say what brands/models of mirrors you have? Judging from my daughter's personality type, I think she's going to be an escape artist when she's a toddler. I wouldn't use a mirror until/unless I have to, but I think I'm going to end up in the "Either a mirror or FF" group sometime in the next several months.

I would want one that attaches to the top tether anchor for one car, and one that attaches to the head rest for the other. So I'd really like to know which ones those of you who have these mirrors (don't officially) recommend for this purpose.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I had the same one as Wendy and the others I've seen here. We originally bought it so Evan could see the DVD player in our old van when he wanted to be rfing again. Then we gave it to Olivia. It's the first time I had ever had one and I must say I enjoyed it. lol I'm not as concerned about them if they attach like mine did and baby is in a rfing tethered seat.

T4K

I frequently find the tethersble SafeFit mirrors at TJMaxx for 7.99-9.99.

On my iPhone...Probably NAK or PAK ;-)

Pixels

I have this one. It clips to the tether anchor or wraps around the head rest. It's the only one that I found that clips to the tether anchor. I had to have one that clips to the anchor because I don't have head rests.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Thank you! So I'll be looking for the SafeFit mirror. I'll have to swing by TJ Maxx to see if they have any.

I don't have a head rest in the center position in the Civic. And the top tethers in the Suburban are on the floor. Which is why I need one of each; sounds like that mirror will work for either car!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am uncomfortable with even 10 ounces. We have one as a temporary solution for my daughter to side the dvd screen. I will eventually have rear-facing screens but not yet. Judi found me one that is COMPLETELY soft and flexible and weighs less to boot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC