Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

School busses OK or not?

So my boys' have always been driven to and from school because they go to a specialty math and science school that is in our district, but not the bussing route. Anyway, I signed them up for a summer program at school and it sounds like they can be bussed. They are 6.8 and 8.5 years. They have been on school bussed for field trips, but that's all. I would really like the option of sending them on the bus, so I don't have to bring DD out if I don't want to, but honestly I am nervous for them to ride on a bus. Maybe more nervous about what they might learn on the bus would they be safe?
    Monica-former CPST, now just a car-seat safety freak.
    Samuel, 12 yrs, seat belt middle passenger row of our Odyssey.
    Mitchell, 10yrs, back row, Amp.
    Lucy, 6 years, booster. All of us occasionally ride in a Honda Fit.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: School busses OK or not?

Statistically I'm pretty sure they would be safer on the bus than in your car. They're old enough (and I assume big enough) for the bus to be safe.

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Stats are for the US

In 2009, 3 school bus drivers and two school bus passengers were killed in accidents. 13 pedestrians were killed by busses in that same year, and 91 passengers of other vehicles involved in bus crashes were killed. 1,108 school aged children (5-15) were killed, in total, that same year in all accidents, the majority in passenger vehicles. a little bit more than 33,000 people were killed, in total, that year in automobile related accidents.

Busses are extremely safe, something like 800% safer than a family vehicle.

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

5. Thank You from:

Alright, maybe we should move closer to the school than! It's hard for me to let them be not in my control. Good to know they will be safe. A couple years ago there were a few kids killed on a bus around here, so I guess I think about that.
    Monica-former CPST, now just a car-seat safety freak.
    Samuel, 12 yrs, seat belt middle passenger row of our Odyssey.
    Mitchell, 10yrs, back row, Amp.
    Lucy, 6 years, booster. All of us occasionally ride in a Honda Fit.

Kids are eight times more likely to be killed riding to school in their parents' vehicle than on a big yellow bus. Kids are more likely to be killed getting to or from the bus stop than they are while riding on a big yellow bus.

As for what they'll learn while on the bus - um, ear plugs and blindfolds, perhaps? LOL Can't help you there.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Technician

Just out of curiosity, am I right in assuming that that is yellow school buses, and not the children who are bussed on city buses? I think city buses are extraordinarily safe, too, but having never ridden on a yellow bus myself, I wonder about kids who like me were sent on city buses.
    Kathleen, CPST and mom to a pair of Cs.

The yellow buses are held to strict safety standards. City buses are not held to those same standards, but still have some of the same things going for them. Buses are high up, raising the passengers up out of harms way in most cases. Buses are large -have you ever heard "The most lug nuts wins?" Buses are highly visibly to other drivers, and bus drivers have better visibility than a car. Also, bus drivers have additional training.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KaiLing View Post
    Just out of curiosity, am I right in assuming that that is yellow school buses, and not the children who are bussed on city buses? I think city buses are extraordinarily safe, too, but having never ridden on a yellow bus myself, I wonder about kids who like me were sent on city buses.
    I can't find detailed data through FARS about transit busses like I can school busses, but for comparison there were 89 school bus crash related fatalities (5 of which were actually on the bus) and 79 transit bus related fatalities. I would tend to believe transit busses are less safe than school busses due to the lack of passive restraint, but still very safe when compared to smaller vehicles.

Just the sheer size of busses makes them very safer due to a tendency to "win" in crashes.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos