School busses OK or not?

mlohry

So my boys' have always been driven to and from school because they go to a specialty math and science school that is in our district, but not the bussing route. Anyway, I signed them up for a summer program at school and it sounds like they can be bussed. They are 6.8 and 8.5 years. They have been on school bussed for field trips, but that's all. I would really like the option of sending them on the bus, so I don't have to bring DD out if I don't want to, but honestly I am nervous for them to ride on a bus. Maybe more nervous about what they might learn on the bus :) would they be safe?

ADS

babyherder

Statistically I'm pretty sure they would be safer on the bus than in your car. They're old enough (and I assume big enough) for the bus to be safe.

Evolily

Stats are for the US

In 2009, 3 school bus drivers and two school bus passengers were killed in accidents. 13 pedestrians were killed by busses in that same year, and 91 passengers of other vehicles involved in bus crashes were killed. 1,108 school aged children (5-15) were killed, in total, that same year in all accidents, the majority in passenger vehicles. a little bit more than 33,000 people were killed, in total, that year in automobile related accidents.

Busses are extremely safe, something like 800% safer than a family vehicle.

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/

mlohry

Alright, maybe we should move closer to the school than! It's hard for me to let them be not in my control. Good to know they will be safe. A couple years ago there were a few kids killed on a bus around here, so I guess I think about that.

Pixels

Kids are eight times more likely to be killed riding to school in their parents' vehicle than on a big yellow bus. Kids are more likely to be killed getting to or from the bus stop than they are while riding on a big yellow bus.

As for what they'll learn while on the bus - um, ear plugs and blindfolds, perhaps? LOL Can't help you there.

KaiLing

Just out of curiosity, am I right in assuming that that is yellow school buses, and not the children who are bussed on city buses? I think city buses are extraordinarily safe, too, but having never ridden on a yellow bus myself, I wonder about kids who like me were sent on city buses.

Pixels

The yellow buses are held to strict safety standards. City buses are not held to those same standards, but still have some of the same things going for them. Buses are high up, raising the passengers up out of harms way in most cases. Buses are large -have you ever heard "The most lug nuts wins?" Buses are highly visibly to other drivers, and bus drivers have better visibility than a car. Also, bus drivers have additional training.

Evolily

Just out of curiosity, am I right in assuming that that is yellow school buses, and not the children who are bussed on city buses? I think city buses are extraordinarily safe, too, but having never ridden on a yellow bus myself, I wonder about kids who like me were sent on city buses.

I can't find detailed data through FARS about transit busses like I can school busses, but for comparison there were 89 school bus crash related fatalities (5 of which were actually on the bus) and 79 transit bus related fatalities. I would tend to believe transit busses are less safe than school busses due to the lack of passive restraint, but still very safe when compared to smaller vehicles.

Just the sheer size of busses makes them very safer due to a tendency to "win" in crashes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC