State Trooper told me I need to turn my DD FF and RFing her was dangerous...opinion?

KatieGrace

Today I was stopped by a State Trooper because my tags were expired...I had the receipt from where we had gotten my car inspected yesterday and had sent off for the registration, so he was letting me go, and then saw K in the back seat and asked me to roll down my back windows. He looked at her and asked me how much she weighed...I told him she was 33# and was in a seat that could RF to 35#. (she was in a original Britax Marathon). I told him I have another Britax seat on the way that RF to 40# (Britax Boulevard 70). He and the lady trooper that was with him both told me that it was more dangerous to have her RFing than FFing at this point because her legs would break in an accident. I tried to tell them that the recommendation is to RF until the seat restrictions say they should be turned around by outgrowing the seat by weight or height. They told me that it was still worse to have her turned around RFing at her age (she's 3) because of the leg issue. Is the leg issue really that big of a deal? I mean, if you're in an accident, and the kid is RFing, their force is pushed back into the seat and not towards the back of the car back seat, right? So, it's not like their legs are being pushed against the back of the car's back seat, true? Unless rebound is the issue with their legs? I don't know.... I want to do what is safest for K, and I have always been a car seat nut so I thought I was doing the right thing, but now they have me second guessing myself. I mean, I don't want her to break her leg(s), don't get me wrong, but I also don't want her to get a head/neck injury, either. Can I get some feedback on this? It seems kinda silly to me, and I don't think I am going to turn her around FF until she reaches the seat limits, but I just want to make sure I'm not putting her in more danger by not doing so, either. I'm a little confused now because they seemed so adamant about it. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They're wrong. Do you have their names or their squad or troop? Then you can educate them.

Forward facing her legs are more at risk because of impact injuries. Rear facing they'll just come into her chest. Besides, like you said, her spine is far more important than her legs. One she can do without. The other, not so much.

http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

I like the video on the bottom of that page. It explains the legs visually very well.

It's nice they were concerned. I hope they haven't resulted in injuries or deaths because of their lousy advice.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Nope, not correct. Legs are MUCH MORE likely to break FFing than RFing.

Check out what happens to the legs and arms in a crash FF vs. RF:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube - ‪Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car‬‏[/ame]

Also, read this:

Lower Extremity INjuries Uncommon for Rear-Facing Children

Hopefully that reassures you. :)

ETA: I think I may print that second article out. Also, you could, if you're worried about getting stopped again.

Wow.
The techs on here can give you all the technical info, but I hope you send a packet of it to the state troopers who pulled you over, and their supervisors.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Leg injuries are actually quite common forward-facing and almost unheard-of rear-facing. If I were you, I would write a letter to the headquarters/chief/whatever and let them know their deputies are giving out incorrect and dangerous info.

KatieGrace

Thanks, everyone. I think I may write a letter. It's been bothering me all afternoon. I tried explaining my side, but then just quit because they both were so quick to tell me I was wrong and started lecturing me on why. I knew it was pointless and didn't want to sit there and argue with them. The car seat issue took up more time than the whole reason why they pulled me over in the first place. sigh. Thanks for the links and videos. I really appreciate it!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Usually it's the Captain that has the most direct contact with officers and will get the most done so that is who I would write to (I used to work for a constable's office). I would call and get the mailing address for their Captain and write him/her a letter sharing the information. Make sure to let them know that their officers were polite and doing their jobs but handing out inaccurate and potentially dangerous information. Good for you for doing your research and keeping your child RF as well as seeking the correct information rather than just following what the troopers told you.

KatieGrace

Oh, and if anyone else has any solid evidence about the leg issue and other safety issues, I'd love to have it so I can print it all out and send it in.

KatieGrace

Oh, and one more question...They said that "at her age and size" it was more dangerous...and if she were younger it wouldn't be an issue, but since her legs were longer, it was more dangerous. Of all the statistics saying safety is better RFing, do they include older toddlers in that,too? Or is it the smaller ones?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
There hasn't been much study on older rear facers. In Sweden it is commonplace to RF to 4+ and go straight in to a booster. They have virtually no automobile accident deaths in children less than 4 because of this.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Not sure where you are, but you could also see if there would be a CPST nearby who'd be willing to write a letter supporting your position as well. Another thought would be to contact your local SafeKids to let them know. (They don't have any say over law enforcement, of course, but they might be willing to offer a training class for them.) And/or you could include the information for the local SK with your information as a place where they could get training for their officers.

KaiLing

So sorry this happened to you! Please do write a letter: everyone here will support you and be thrilled that you took the time. You might even do some real good: if they'd said that to the mother of a giant 15 month old (my 18 month old was way bigger than your 3 yo) they might have scared her into turning her FF dangerously early.

MommaWhitney

Id defiantly send a letter and see if there is a tech on here that is in your area that will write a letter providing useful information. That way the captain can educate others.

Cattitude

That's awful. I am waiting for the day some well meaning LEO tries to tell me something like this, they'll get a polite earful!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC