Question Radian for a broad shouldered child?

P

pat88

Hey everybody :) Forgive me if this has been asked a million times before, but I keep getting conflicting answers from internet searches on this one..

Is the Radian 80 (FF) suitable for a VERY wide shouldered child? My son is 36-1/2 inches tall and 35 lbs at 24 months - and he's built like a tank. I don't forsee him getting any skinnier or narrower, he's been 90th-95th% since birth, and is long waisted and sits high.

The reason I ask specifically about the Radian is we have a 2004 Subaru Forester and he is currently in a Britax Marathon FF. His legs and huge feet are somewhat squooshed behind the driver's side, and his shoes often get stuck between the front seat and carseat, which is already in the more upright "toddler" position. The Marathon just seems enormous back there. From what I have read, the Radians are narrower at the base, more upright, and fit well in cars that don't usually accommodate many seats, but what about the width "inside"? Has anyone put a larger size child into a Radian comfortably, and had the seat last a while? He is snug but comfy in the Marathon, but he will of course be growing :)

I have read here that middle seat installation in a Forester just won't work. Putting him behind the passenger seat is also not an option, because I have an infant in a Chicco Keyfit30 RF there. (That passenger seat is pushed up so far already because of that carseat I feel like I'm sitting on the hood of the car when we drive). My daughter is also 95th% height/weight, but I don't think we will run into an issue getting her into a Radian someday.

Eventually we will probably need another car, as we want to have a third baby, so if the Radian won't work, does anyone have any other suggestions for "wider inside" carseats?

Thank you so much everybody who takes the time to answer! I know that nothing will substitue putting him in an actual seat and trying it out, but I am just wondering where to start looking.

ADS

ctbcleveland

The Radian does get wider near the top of the seat. People accomodate much older children than your son in the seat, but if you are concerned about it, consider a true fit. It sits low to the ground like the radian but is wide and comfy. It looks like a recliner.

The Evenflo Triumph 65 also is nice and wide, but it sits up on a base like the Marathon (although maybe not quite as high), so the higher up the seat, the less leg room you have for a forward facing child due to the recline of the vehicle's front seat.

Another seat to consider is the evenflo Maestro, which is a forward-facing only seat. It isn't a wide seat at the base and sits low to the ground, but it accomodates children up to 50 lbs.

As a reminder, the Radian 80 is no larger than a radian 65, so I am not sure you will actually get more time out of this seat based on your son's stats. He will likely outgrow it by height before weight.

Also, a 24 mos old child is safer rear-facing. It sounds like you've already turned him and he could likely be too big to rear-face in your marathon (some have 33 and 35 lbs limits). But, if you are considering keeping him rear-facing, the Radian would be an excellent choice for him. Just have to add that in because I wouldn't be doing my job if I forgot to mention this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC