when do you allow front seat riding?

ginny4

my 12 yo is driving me bonkers with wanting to ride in the front. its not so hard to put him off at the moment since he heard its not recommended til 13yo. He is practically doing the countdown. he just turned 12 a couple weeks ago. Anyway, i don't know how comfortable i am with him riding in front at 13yo either...he's a pretty big guy & maybe taller than me by then. these next step ups seem to be so hard & to think my 1st will be "old enough" for the front so soon. i'm not ready....

when have you allowed or willing to allow for front seat riding

ADS

purplemama

JUst here to see what people say. I have a 12 almost (july) 13 year old who bugs me constantly to sit up front. I'm tempted but it feels wrong and unsafe.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
my 12 yo is driving me bonkers with wanting to ride in the front. its not so hard to put him off at the moment since he heard its not recommended til 13yo. He is practically doing the countdown. he just turned 12 a couple weeks ago. Anyway, i don't know how comfortable i am with him riding in front at 13yo either...he's a pretty big guy & maybe taller than me by then. these next step ups seem to be so hard & to think my 1st will be "old enough" for the front so soon. i'm not ready....

when have you allowed or willing to allow for front seat riding

I personally wouldn't allow a child up front until they are at least 15 years old, based on the research summarized in this article. I think the feeling you have of not being ready to have him ride up front yet is totally in line with the research available to us. :)

SAHDADDY

my plan is 15, but i have 11years ahead of me is my oldest just turned 4 yesterday

i will not allow it before 13

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
14-15 (kids can get learner's permits at 15 here and I'd like my daughter to have some experience seeing things from the front before she gets behind the wheel) in general.

Probably around 11-12 I'd be comfortable taking 4 kids in my 5-seater vehicle for occasional carpools.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I occasionally let my 13yo ride in the front. My second son I didn't let him ride up front until he was 14 because he's small for his age. My first son grew faster so he got to sit up front when he was 13. At this point there's a huge potential for arguments over it, so if they make it a headache they ALL ride in the back.

That's all for around-town. When we drive on the highway they have to be 15 to sit in the front.

SignCuer

After 12... I'm fine if they prove to me they can follow the seating up front rules... no distracting me, no turning backwards... the seat is fully back and I have no problems for short rides. Like carseatcoach said, they can learn driving skills then since they will be driving in a few short years.

Longer rides, I prefer them to be in back.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well, when I have to. I've had 4, 5, 6 yo's in the front seat due to necessity. Beyond that, if they are 13+ and big(post pubescent).. then I am ok with them being up front even if there are rear seats. I think my personal viewpoint is skewed though, because by age 13, all of our older boys have been larger than me by at LEAST 6 inches :) They get permits at like 15.5 here, so i think a year or 2 of riding in the front is actually very beneficial in terms of learning how to drive, so.....ya.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My 11 yr old is taller than several teachers at his school, but he knows that he sits in back until at least age 13. Puberty is when bone hardening really starts in earnest, so that's why that recommendation is there. As far as what happens at age 13, I'll deal with it then :p. I'm also of the idea that kids need the front seat perspective before they start driving, so I know he'll be up front before then.

thepote

We started letting DS1 sit up front at age 12 occasionally in town, and about 13.5 whenever he wanted to. It was about age 12 where he was heavy enough for the airbag sensor to keep the airbag on.

aeormsby

14-15 (kids can get learner's permits at 15 here and I'd like my daughter to have some experience seeing things from the front before she gets behind the wheel) in general.

Probably around 11-12 I'd be comfortable taking 4 kids in my 5-seater vehicle for occasional carpools.

:yeahthat: (bolding mine)

We have quite a while before needing to deal with this, but by sometime between 12-14 I would allow front seat. I don't want them to start driving without seeing anything from the front seat perspective.

Mysweethoneybee

My oldest son starting getting to ride in the front seat sometimes at 12 but he was only 95th percentile. My middle son started getting to ride in the front seat when he reached 6 foot and 200lbs at age 12 if my husband or I are driving but he has to sit in the back if his brother is driving. I am guessing if he hits a growth spurt he won't be able to cram into a back seat. Most of his friends are very small compared to him and I wouldn't let any of them sit in the front seat.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
My oldest is 7.5 so I have a while before having to think about this but will not consider it before age 13 and we've already talked about it :) He asked when he could and I told him to ask again when he's 13 and we'll talk about it but not before then.

bnsnyde

I don't ride in front. I sit in back and I have my husband or mom do the same. Nobody ever uses the front seat.

Our van seats 8, though. If we ended up with 7 children I might have to put a child in the front. The oldest would be 12 or more by that time. I wish the van had more room!

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I don't ride in front. I sit in back and I have my husband or mom do the same. Nobody ever uses the front seat.
Can I ask why? Is it because of your height? Or do you just feel the front is unsafe except for the driver? Not criticizing at all, just curious...

Our rule is 13, and post puberty... DH breaks it with DD1, I think he likes to listen to me scream :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC