Vent: My Adoption Agency and Carseats

emtb79

My adoption agency lady sent out a mass email to the waiting parents, stating that she had just taken the CPST class and wow she learned alot of stuff great. Best part was she learned that we dont have to have a bucket seat we can use a convertible to take the baby home. But the best part was that she said that the new recommendation was for rear-facing 2years or 20lbs. Grrr She also stated that when we came to them for placement she would be checking/installing or seats the way she saw that installed better. So there is my complaint for the day.

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
2 years OR 20 lbs? :eek:
How do you think she would respond if you sent her a very kind email back gently telling her that she must have had a typo since 20 lbs is part of the law rather than the new recommendation. You might want to mention that you are a CPST as well and offer yourself as a person she can ask if she has a question or needs an opinion from. This could turn out to be something good for the safety of the children placed by this agency.

Kiss Me Deadly

That's crap! You helped me with my seat installs, and they ended up better than I could have hoped for... Just keep doing what you are doing. It's obviously working! :)

emtb79

Yea I worded a nice email to her about it she knows that and I quoted the new recommendations to her and she responds with you should be good then when I check your seat when you get placed.

My biggest fear is she has just enough info to be dangerous. Im not sure if she took the class and is a tech or if she just took the class like an AUDIT just so she could have the proper info to give out.

I was the one that suggested if she was going to be checking to make sure seats were safe then she should take the class to be a tech so that she could do it right.

emtb79

I just find it frustrating and I feel like if I say something of all the things she put in the email wrong that she could affect me being placed because she is the person that goes and gets the books to show.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess I don't see what the problem is.

I'm assuming the 20 lb part was a typo, but as for the rest of it, I don't have a problem. She probably won't be able to do much to help YOU, but she can probably help other people. Maybe I'm missing something.

emtb79

Oh there was other things in the email about car seat usage and safety. I also tend to blow things out of proportion sometimes, so maybe it isnt that bad.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
maybe it's wrong to assume, but lets assume she got the basics - seat firmly installed in the vehicle, snug straps, chest clip at chest, not tummy... maybe it's wrong of me to feel this way, but even if she thinks it's 2 or 20, she's going to be showing others that those straps need to be snug, the seat should be tightly installed, etc.

TBH, i'd rather see a 20 lb 8 month old ff with snug straps and a decently installed seat, than see a 20 lb 8 month old rf with very loose straps and a seat so loose it's a miracle it doesn't fall down when mom takes a turn. :twocents:

KaiLing

If she's a new tech, I'm sure that she got the 20 lbs thing from her class. My entire class last week was "the minimum is 1 year and 20 lbs" (in text everywhere in the manual, including in the appendix "quotes to help children remain RF longer" section) and "the aap suggests RF *up to* age 2" (over and over again verbally by all three instructors). 1 and 20 is still the bare minimum, with "as long as permitted by the manufacturer" the best practice and if you came into my class not knowing anything, you wouldn't know anything about the AAP's 2 year recommendation.

Sorry, I'm not expressing it well, but in my class, both in the book and from the instructors we heard "1 and 20" and "up to age 2" (as if you should turn FF at age 2) over and over and over again, but we only heard "as long as allowed" a handful of times.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC