Vent anyone else sick of cramming in their RFers??

laudymama

DS is only 1 week away from 20mo and I am already so sick of cramming him into his seat rf. I can't even imagine shoving him in at 3, let alone 4 which is truly my preferred rf goal. Not that he will make it to 3 rf in his current seat short of a miracle but still my point is the same! Do seats really make a difference once kids start getting so big or is it just the nature of certain seats? I feel like he looks so safe and protected in his advocate and so wish it was easier! I won't turn him ff out of convenience, but am just getting so frustrated buckling him in lately-especially with the deadly summer heat. Ok, I just needed to get that out and hopefully find that I'm not alone!

ADS

Lenae

Loading my leggy DS into his TF was a whole heck of a lot easier than cramming him into the MA. My DD is in the MA now, and luckily a teeny thing at 17 months, because the MA is probably the onlyseat she'll ever be RF in. I turned DS at 3 years 3 months, and it was getting pretty difficult to fit his legs all in, and that was in the TF, which has a ton of RF legroom.

Phineasmama

Uh yeah! It doesn't help that I have a ginormous preggo belly and I have to lift him up into my SUV either :p

My MA70 is really hard to get DS in and out of. I feel your pain!

Phineasmama

Loading my leggy DS into his TF was a whole heck of a lot easier than cramming him into the MA. My DD is in the MA now, and luckily a teeny thing at 17 months, because the MA is probably the onlyseat she'll ever be RF in. I turned DS at 3 years 3 months, and it was getting pretty difficult to fit his legs all in, and that was in the TF, which has a ton of RF legroom.

Good to know because I'm probably gonna get a tf soon!

Chely7425

Yup, I just turned my 3 year 2 month old, he was in a radian (lots of leg room) but we have a tight 3 across so he can't hang his legs over the edge OR cross them so his knees were like in his chest and he was complaining about his butt hurting.

cookie123

Matthew isn't crammed. I love the Radian for older rfers.

http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad184/peggyranden/?action=view&current=IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Sorry the pics so big. Matthew also climbs in on his own. I put his seat in the middle, then either he can climb up or I just set him on the seat. He gets in on his own and he can now buckle up himself. He's been able to do the chest clip for a long time. He's 2.5 in this photo. He's 3.5 now.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Mine climbs in herself, puts her straps on, and holds her feet out of the way while I buckle. She's been doing that since about 18 months. Perhaps time to teach the kid to climb in alone, get straps on shoulders, and position feet out of the way for buckling?

Chely7425

Mine climbs in herself, puts her straps on, and holds her feet out of the way while I buckle. She's been doing that since about 18 months. Perhaps time to teach the kid to climb in alone, get straps on shoulders, and position feet out of the way for buckling?

That only works if a) your car is such that they CAN climb in alone (T1 and T2 can not in my car RFing) and b) your car has room for their feet to GO somewhere else.

andre149

I got sick of it around that age... then she started climbing into her seat on her own. Now I literally just sit down next to her, put the harness on, tell her to bend her legs out of the way, and that's it. It actually gets easier as they get older, I think :)

ETA: Chely: we cross posted... very good point, I guess it's really car and "back seat situation" dependent. Hadn't really thought of that...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That only works if a) your car is such that they CAN climb in alone (T1 and T2 can not in my car RFing) and b) your car has room for their feet to GO somewhere else.

When she started doing it, I had 3 across RF, and she was in the middle; she now climbs up into a high van and over a high-lipped seat. I'm not saying every kid can, but I bet the majority can learn how. As for feet out of the way, UP and APART is out of the way...

bnsnyde

I have the Advocate too, and I keep it b/c I like how safe it seems, for SIP especially. It is very difficult to get a kid in RF, though. Mine is in the middle, too. I agree 100%. My nearly 2-year-old has a fit most of the time anyway since HE wants to do it himself, but he never does so I have to cram him in.

My 3.5-year-old goes right in RF, buckles, and I tighten. Easy!

I know if I had a different seat it could be easier with the 2-year-old. Pros and cons. Maybe the toddler will outgrow this.

Aurezalia

When she started doing it, I had 3 across RF, and she was in the middle; she now climbs up into a high van and over a high-lipped seat. I'm not saying every kid can, but I bet the majority can learn how. As for feet out of the way, UP and APART is out of the way...

It depends not just on the child, but on the car. ;) In my car I had a 1 1/2 year old perfectly capable of climbing into his seat alone, but it's not possible in Chel's car/3-across. There's nothing for them to grab or lever themselves into the seat.
So yeah, for most people this is sound advice, but I think you can rest assured that the regulars on this site have already evaluated what is and isn't possible in their situation.

Chely7425

It depends not just on the child, but on the car. ;) In my car I had a 1 1/2 year old perfectly capable of climbing into his seat alone, but it's not possible in Chel's car/3-across. There's nothing for them to grab or lever themselves into the seat.
So yeah, for most people this is sound advice, but I think you can rest assured that the regulars on this site have already evaluated what is and isn't possible in their situation.

Yes, what Aure said.. and she is very familiar with my car/carseat issues.

cookie123

I put an Advocate rf in a 2010 Outback at a check recently. I have to say, looking at it, it seemed it would be difficult to get the kid in. There's practically no entry space.

If I had to rf 3 kids in a tiny car, I probably would also be complaining. It was bad enough when Hannah and Brett both rfed. When Matthew came along they were both ff. Plus, I rarely have all 3. Mostly just Matthew. Changes ahead though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Wasnt saying it was. I was saying for MOST kids in MOST cars/seats, it is. ;)

aeormsby

The 15-20 months is also when my kids went through phases when they didn't like getting buckled. And when their legs were starting to get cramped and not long enough to cross easily yet. It got easier until they were 3yo and truely cramped in the seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC