Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Kushies Training Pants/Potty Training help please

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.kushiesonline.com/Training-Pants-s/244.htm

I am going to start potty training my DS next week. He is showing signs of readiness, dry some mornings when he gets up, or just wet, not all soggy. Tells me sometimes when he is wet and so on. I tried the Gerber Training pants for my DD but that was a train wreck, horrible. I have been putting him on the potty at various times, especially when everyone else is going in to go out to swim or something. They other day, I sat him down tried to get him to go, he walks outside in his swimsuit and pees on the deck... We DD it was easy, sat her down, told her to push and she went... I don't really know how to approach it with my DS... Anyone have any tips for potty training a boy?
    Jane -
    DD - January 03-Seat belt
    DS1 - November 04- Seat belt
    DS2 - April 08- Graco Affix or Evenflo Amp

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: Kushies Training Pants/Potty Training help please

I am a huge believer in naked potty training.

My ds is 27 months and we are on day 5.

Here is our progress so far!

Day 1. Kept Evan naked all day, only one accident! So proud of himself that he is using the potty!

Day 2. One accident about 20 minutes after waking up, even though he had peed just a little when he first got up, then we spent 6 hours at my friends house, he was dressed the entire time and stayed DRY!!! WAHOOO!!! He used the potty there 4 times, still not fully emptying his bladder every time, he gets excited when he pees and jumps up to say "I did it all by myself" and won't sit to finish peeing

Day 3. Naked at home again today, no accidents at all today. YAY!!!

Still no poop, but he only poops a few times a week, he should be pooping today or tomorrow since he went Sunday.

Day 4. No pee accidents YAY!!! However, he did poop on the floor, but then went and sat on the potty telling me "poop" I was so excited (didn't realize he pooped on the floor yet) but when he got off the potty there was no poop in the toilet, but a little smeared on the seat -- so off I went to find it!

Day 5. One pee accident, he had on undies and peed right through them.

However, we spent about 3 hours at the park & he stayed dry the entire time, kept saying "no" when I asked him if he had to use the potty.

Today is day 6
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

CPS Fanatic

ugh... we're trying to start PT with DD1 this week. she's been ready for a long time, but with DD2 crawling around now it's become nearly impossible!

we're trying the training pants method first, and if it doesn't work, we'll go the naked route.

so far DD1 has the problem with knowing to get to the potty *first* (like gypsy's DS, she pooped/peed first then said "need to get to the potty now".
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I was just reading that Kushies are kind of stiff and small... (uh.... um...sorry, lol), and most of their other stuff is on the low end of the quality spectrum, from what I read. Nikki's are supposed to be nice, and there're some nice products at www.theecstore.com
    Somtimes you have to UNdiaper train before you potty train... don't worry about where the pee and poo is going, as long as it's not in a diaper...kids are really addicted to that diaper feeling and it can be uncomfortable to let loose any other way... just get some enzyme cleaner and a lot of towels and let him run free. Leah's only 16 months and happily runs to the puppy pad on the floor in her kangaroo climber to pee... gross to think about, but incredibly easy to clean up, and it's NOT a diaper, which is my only goal right now
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

I've heard Kushies aren't very absorbent for potty training. I'd go with one of the other ones or go with the heavier cotton training pants and put pull up plastic pants over top if leaks are a real issue.

We also went the naked route and then went straight to panties within a day or so. She figured out everything including pooping in less than a week and is even in panties at naps and we bought pull-ups for night to call them her "night- time panties." She's always had cloth diapers, so she doesn't realize her night time panties are basically a disposable.

Funny thing, prior to using the potty, she pooped every few days. Now it's almost every day.

Not to discourage you, but my dd showed signs of readiness for 10 months before being ready to actually go in the potty. We had her potty chair available her and talked to her about going on the potty, got her a book that talked about learning to use the potty, and then just let her call the shots. I was resigned to her still being in diapers when she celebrated her 3rd b-day, then she just all the sudden "got it."

Oh, one thing I have heard about little boys learning to use the potty is that they love the idea of peeing standing up. Granted I've also heard it makes a mess and can be a hard habit to break.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Senior Community Member

I'm teaching my ds to sit at a toilet and stand at a urinal... I don't imagine he will be anywhere near a urinal until he is at least 8 (homeschooling & always with me, not dh in the bathroom) when he can go in a mens room by himself (with me waiting at the door) & yelling in every minute or so

Less mess & it will be a natural step to poop too instead of peeing to stand and having to switch to sitting to poop.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

Senior Community Member solmama's Avatar

We also went the naked route. My dd saw right through the training pant method and continued to use them as diapers. So, she went naked. It took her about a day and she was ready for underwear! Yay! She still has little accidents once in a while. If the training pants cost and arm and a leg, try naked first. Good luck!
    DD-12 years, 68"
    DS-10 years, 60"

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Between Kushies and Bummies, I like the Bummies much better! However, I only recommend them if you're going out for relatively brief periods. Neither is really suitible for all-day, every-day wear. They don't breathe very well and can get quite sweaty inside, even on not-so-hot days.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Senior Community Member

I used Imse Vimsy Training pants for dd, but ds doesn't seem to need them... maybe when we start taking longer trips away I'll use them. http://www.frogandelephant.com/catalog.php?category=98

I also have some One Step Ahead cloth trainers that are really great! Super absorbent and waterproof. I'll probably use those first, ds is wearing pull-ups when we go out and overnight now, when they are gone we will move onto these. I just checked and they no longer carry the ones I have (dd trained over 4 years ago).

The Bummis were too tight on my dd's thighs, I hated them. They would be better for a child with slim thighs.

Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar

We're in the process of PT DS now at 3ys 5mo, which is about the same age his 10 yr old brother was when he PT. We started about 5 days ago, saying "we'll take your diaper off tomorrow and you can use the potty all day." And he agreed, so off it went! A few pee and one poop accident through the next couple days -- as the PP said, he definitely needed to UNdiaper train first and was not happy to see the stuff running down his leg. He figured it out really quick to get in the habit of going to the potty to pee and poop, or outside to pee in the woods

He also was weighing in at a consistent 33 lbs this week so we turned him FF in his MA

Good luck!

Amy
    mom of three boys
    DS 1: 10 yrs; 70 lbs -- Parkway booster
    DS 2: 3 yrs 5mo; 33 lbs -- FF as of 5/30/07 in MA
    DS 3: 12 months; 19 lbs -- RF in MA

I'm a fan of the naked method, too, but since we did most of dd2's training in the winter, and since daycares tend to frown on children running around naked , we had to use trainers.

I LOVED the Imse Vimse trainers. If it's a really big accident, it's going to soak through to their clothes pretty quiclky, but for small accidents they keep the clothes dry. I liked the Nikkis a lot, too, though they couldn't hold as big an accident as the Imse Vimses. Bummis were ok, just not a good fit for dd2. The leg holes are tiny and dd2 has those luscious chubby legs Kushies.... didn't use them, but I saw them irl and didn't like them. Seemed kind of stiff and plasticy. The cheapest option, and what we used quite a bit, is probably to get a few packs of the Gerber trainers, or the Penneys version, and to use a pull-on style diaper cover over it when you need it to be waterproof (like when you go out, or those days at home when you just can't face one more puddle on the floor ). The Bumkins covers are really nice, not to mention adorable, but they're pricey, $10+ last I checked. The Dappi nylon covers work just as well and they're about $5 for a 2-pack.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I should have known to ask you first, Nisi ....you always have the good scoop on the dipe stuff
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy

We started "potty learning" DD two weeks ago. We started doing the naked potty training three days ago. Today she is peeing on the potty without even telling me. It is amazing! No accidents today. I am not sure how we are going to transition to panties and pants. Maybe she'll just wear dresses all summer! On the second day of naked potty training (she wears a shirt or dress), she told us she had to go, but only with about 5-10 seconds of warning. Today she was able to run to the potty on her own. I just wanted to add that the naked potty training seems to be working for us.

Thank goodness for tile and summer! I still put a diaper on her when she has to poop, since she is more comfortable that way and the last thing we need is a constipated toddler!

Sorry I don't have any info on the training pants. We were thinking of buying some, but I haven't had a chance to run to the store. I am not sure if we are going to buy any though. We'll see how tomorrow goes! I had no idea potty training is this much work (not to mention having a little guy crawling around as well)! HTH and just wanted to share our experience so far...
    DD (10y&68lbs&132cm) - Harmony LB booster
    DS (8y&50lbs&117cm) - Britax Parkway SG and Compass B505C

We never used any trainers at all. At home she was naked from the waist down at all times. When she showed us she wasn't ready for underwear, we continued using diapers when we went out, but by that time she would often hold it until she got home, or ask to use the potty while out. We kept a small potty seat in the car just in case she asked.
    Completely painless for us all, and a lot cheaper than buyig trainers.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley