My nephew got an upgrade

agave

I posted a few months ago about him needing a new seat because he'd outgrown his by height. I had a chance to measure him last week he was 37lbs and 42" at 4yrs 4 months.

He was riding in this
5833264637_c2a5cb717e_b.jpg

He now has a brand new Parkway.

ADS

hrice

For the price of a PW I would have gone with a Maestro or a Nauti instead. Any reason they didn't get a harnessed seat? 4 is still a little young to booster full time IMO.

He is safer in a booster than an outgrown harness though!

babygirlsmom1005

IIRC, the Parkway has a 40 lbs minimum to be used. If he's in Texas, they are technically breaking the law due to the seat is not being used per the manufactures guidelines (proper use clause).

Is there a way to return the seat and get him something else that is legal for him to use, possibly what hrice suggested a Maestro or Natuli?

hrice

IIRC, the Parkway has a 40 lbs minimum to be used. If he's in Texas, they are technically breaking the law due to the seat is not being used per the manufactures guidelines (proper use clause).

Is there a way to return the seat and get him something else that is legal for him to use, possibly what hrice suggested a Maestro or Natuli?

Good catch! That went over my head! Yes, the PW has a 40# minimum.

agave

When I suggested the $130 nautilus elite he had a bad case of sticker shock. The store he went to didn't have the Maestro but he did have a 20% off coupon. I'm not surprised at all that he went with a booster but I really expected him to get a turbobooster. I suspect that if I hadn't asked about his seat and given my brother some info he would have eventually gone straight to a low back booster.

Considering there is a very good chance he rides in nothing when with his grandmother I'm happy with a booster, I have no idea what he has in his mom's car.

Except for his 400 mile ride home the vast majority of his car rides are under 2-3 miles and and a 30mph speed limit or less I suspect he has one of the nicest seats in his little town.

Phineasmama

Most of the 3 year olds in my DD's preschool are in low back boosters :rolleyes: Soooo...it may not be ideal but it's certainly not the worst option! Hopefully he sits well in it.

agave

I'll mention it, but I'm pretty sure 37lbs is "close enough" for him. It would also be a huge pain to return considering he lives 400 miles from the store he bought it from. Judging from the cover on his old seat I'm pretty sure there will be no denying it's used by the time he could get back to the store.

AnnieW625

Good for you for doing that. I think your brother bought a great seat and he'll hit 40lbs in no time with clothes on I would take heart in knowing that he'll be safe for many years to come. I'd rather deal with the close enough than have a child that small in a LBB full time.

Baylor

I would be concerned with a 4 yr old in a booster full time. He really should be harnessed. I would save the booster and get a harnessed seat. I would not be comfortable it full time.

Lenae

My niece is boostered full time now, she's 4 years 8 months. Would I do it? No. But for my sister, who was letting my nephew ride in nothing at 3 years old, it works for me. I bought a Nautilus for said nephew, my sister bought a TB for my neice, put older DNe in a NBB (he's 8.5) and put youngest DNe (6 months) in a RF Scenera. She'll probably turn youngest DNe around 18 months. It's not the setup I'd have, but honestly, she's at least making an effort now, whereas before she never had.

I too agree that your nephew would be safer in a harnessed seat. Maybe mention it to your brother. But if he doesn't go for it, I wouldn't stress about it. He's at least making an effort. It's a lot more than some people do.

nevaehsmommy

It could be a lot worse. My Niece went into a full time high back booster at 18 months and "almost" 30#

I am not a tech but I would think a booster used correctly is safer then a harnessed seat not used correctly.

babygirlsmom1005

It could be a lot worse. My Niece went into a full time high back booster at 18 months and "almost" 30#

I am not a tech but I would think a booster used correctly is safer then a harnessed seat not used correctly.

Assuming the little boy knows how to sit properly 100% of the time in a booster, I agree. Going strait from a harness into a booster without some type of booster training, IDK which one would be worse....as far as "safety" if he doesn't stay still, lean, slump, mess with the seat belt...

Mommy2Marcus

I am glad that he got a nice new upgraded seat. While it is not the seat I would choose for a child that age, at least he is in a good fitting booster that will hopefully last him a good long time & be used properly. I might suggest a harnessed seat, but if he does not go for it, then I would drop it. At least he took the time & spent the money to get him a good seat.

Both of my nephews were in backless boosters by the time that they were 2. :( My 7yo nephew now rides in nothing in the front seat & his 5yo brother rides in a backless still, but not properly buckled. :( So, at least this little boy is in a high back & is properly buckled.

monstah

I'm thrilled. :D Now just work on convincing brother too keep the high back on & use the low back as long as possible to get every single pennys worth out of that booster. ;)

agave

I'm thrilled. :D Now just work on convincing brother too keep the high back on & use the low back as long as possible to get every single pennys worth out of that booster. ;)

I think the back will stay on for a while, he wanted the side impact protection and if he'd wanted a backless he would have bought one. I think the old seat had been outgrown for a long time, so I don't think he's going to go out of his way to change anything that doesn't need to be changed.

I expected some people to point out the 3lbs that he lacked to meet the minimum and his age. It isn't ideal but it's an improvement and he'll get that 3lbs soon and when this seat is outgrown he'll likely be tall enough to not need another one. I was hoping he'd go shopping with me when I had to replace a seat after being rear ended last week but he had no desire to budge from the recliner when I went but my nephew really perked up when I was asking my girls what color seats they wanted and started including him in the conversation. I'm sure he's a happy boy right now.

Amazingly in spite of it's looks, the old seat is not expired and I don't think it has been crashed unless my nephew was with him when he hit the deer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC