Would you get a Frontier85 just to use as a booster?

Would you buy a Frontier only for its boostering ability?

• Yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

2BunniesMommy

DD1 is using the TB that we got for MIL's car and doing very well in it. We need to get that seat to MIL soon. I got her a PWSGL but it didn't work in our van. I really want a latchable booster, have forgotten 3 times already to not buckle in the TB because we'll think she'll be in the car next time it goes and then something will come up and I leave without her and the booster is free. Tried her in the FN85 in booster mode and it was great.

ADS

hrice

Yes, I would. You can eventually pass it down to your 2 year old because of the 9 year lifespan. You can also use it to harness your 5 yr old if you took a long car trip and didn't want to worry about sleeping and slumping out of position.

LuvBug

Are you against just using it as a harness seat until it is outgrown? My very large almost 8yo still fits in the harness of his FR85 and I figure I might as well use it that way until he no longer fits, then move to the booster.

2BunniesMommy

She is in a FN80 harnessed in DH's van. My van doesn't go out of town. So using it in mine, she'll never be falling asleep. Yes, Alli can use it later, very good point. Keep up the enabling! LOL!

AnnieW625

I voted yes, however if you like to change seats when new seats come out then no I would probably buy the best belted highback you can find now and then look for another harnessed booster at a later date when your DD needs one.

hrice

My sig pic is my 9.5yo in a FR85 as a booster. It will get handed down to my 3yo in 2 years when he goes FF.

krystin_21a

I would as long as it was the best option for my son as a booster. I have two other little ones that could use the seat later.

bnsnyde

Well, I buy each seat with the safest option for the present.

I got the Prosport (love the SIP) for the spare car and will use those harnessed until my kids outgrow that harness, then get the Frontier85 (or whatever version it is) to eek out a few more inches of harness. But I won't use it as a booster unless I need to (such as it allows for the highest height limit).

I'd planned to get a separate booster. Whatever is best at the time.
I hate 2 in one or 3 in one seats b/c by the time the child is ready for the next stage something better comes along anyway.

I can pass down seats, of course, so I don't feel like it's a total waste of money.

SignCuer

Yes because it's great for multiple kids, and it's bolted to the middle in the 2009 Chevy Malibu since it has no headrest.

andre149

If it were the best fit for the scenario and I could pass it down to other kiddos I definitely would... I'm not helping the enabling either lol

babyherder

I thought the Frontier80 went a little higher as a booster? If I'm right about that I would booster her in the Frontier80 you already have and use a new Frontier85 for harnessing.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I thought the Frontier80 went a little higher as a booster? If I'm right about that I would booster her in the Frontier80 you already have and use a new Frontier85 for harnessing.

It's about the same...within a half an inch, I'd say.... http://carseatblog.com/5751/britax-frontier-85-review-its-all-new-is-it-for-you/
Though that's what I'd probably do, anyway, if I already had an FR80 :)

I voted Yes. When you get an FR on sale it's not much more than any other comparable-quality boosters (Clek, Cybex), and it's so tall and deep and comfy :love:

Kat_Momof3

Jeffrey might die of embarrassment at this point... but honestly, when he was outgrowing the Monterey... I was wishing I had the money to do just that... so I could keep him in a highback longer... so I could keep him in a booster as long as could be.

When he gets really sleepy and misses the headwings... especially in the van where he has no booster... then he would probably see my reasoning.

Heck, it's tempting to do it for Ruthie now... but she's more petite and would be overkill.

BUT... if you won't use it in booster mode and your child doesn't have a LONG torso... then I'd probably also look at the Clek Oobr or another latchable booster.

2BunniesMommy

My line of thinking is that I could buy a booster only option for around the same price, (I was thinking clek) but then all I have is a booster. On the other hand, if I buy the FN85, since it harnesses, I feel bad if I go straight to booster with it. So, I was thinking of having it harnessed for a short time, pretty much until DD askes to have it as a booster.
She does so, so well in the TB, she loves the independance and I don't want to take that from her and I must admit, I enjoy how much easier it is for me with her in a booster with just having to get DD2 buckled in and then a quick check of DD1 to make sure she's good to go.

HKP1042

I originally voted no based on the price but after seeing you also have a 2 year old you could pass it on to I would go for it.

2BunniesMommy

I had already bought it, right before I posted. Was planning to use at a 5 pt for a while just because it has it, but then started thinking I might just convert it to booster.

It is already here...LOVE diapers.com's awesome fast shipping! I am going to go straight for booster with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC