backless booster for travel

U

Unregistered

[I tried to post this yesterday but must have answered the spam question incorrectly, so I think it didn't go through.]

We will be traveling by plane to Boston with my 6.5 year old son, and riding in my parent's car while there. We plan to use a RSTV on longer highway trips, but I was considering getting a Harmony Literider or a Bubblebum for around town use so we won't have to struggle getting in and out of the vest (it will also probably be hot).

Would either of those low back boosters be a safe choice? Or should I have my parents pick up a high back booster? From what I've seen on these boards, people seem excited about the Bubblebum, but would it be okay for him to use this during travel even though he still needs a high back booster for regular use at home?

My son is 45.5 inches and about 41.5 lbs. He rides mostly in a Radian at home, but sometimes in a Turbobooster.

I'd appreciate any advice you can provide.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The BubbleBum or a Harmony would be fine. Whichever you prefer. The Harmony is cheaper and more accessible, the BubbleBum is easier to travel with. Either way.

I'm going to move this to the Other Transportation forum.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

One more question: would the Bubble Bum be an adequate replacement for the RSTV? If that is the case, I might try to sell the RSTV. I bought it last August and only used it one trip, but I ordered red and it is more of a salmon color (some might call it pink).

BTW, I called the Bubble Bum toll free number today and was told that they hope they will be unloaded and ready for dispatch today or tomorrow.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, for a child that age I'd absolutely use a backless that provided proper fit for short trips on vacation. :) I'm actually planning on a trip to HI with my 3 kids this summer (fingers crossed) and since we'll be using very limited car transport (4 or less taxi rides, 2 airport shuttle rides) I'm planning on bringing RSTVs for the 3 and 5 year olds and a Bubblebum for the 7 year old. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A backless would be fine for travel for a 6.5 year old, instead of the RSTV, yes. My daughter went from an RSTV to a backless when she outgrew her small RSTV. She now has a Bubble Bum and will be using it for the first time this weekend on a trip.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks, this information is very helpful. I hope that the Bubble Bums work out well during your trips.

Last edited by a moderator:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd call your RSTV a travel carseat and list it that way on CL. Then go into details in the description.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC