Hay ride? Parade?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
My dd is going to a birthday party next week, and there will be a hayride from the house to the dairy farm (about 1/4th mile, private dirt road). They will be going slow & do this for all the grandkids for birthday parties, holiday parties etc.

My dd will also be in a parade in September, her dance class is riding in the back of a pick-up.

Suggestions? Opinions?

ADS

jennsmile

I love hayrides. We go on one every year at the pumpkin patch. I am sure it will be fine. It is a case of living and enjoying life.

As for the parade I would definately be more concerned about that only because I have never done that myself.

Jenn

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
We go on hayrides at the apple orchard or petting farm on private property closed to traffic. I'd be a lot more nervous about riding in the open pickup for the parade. :twocents:

natysr

I'd be fine letting her do both.

I would consider the parade to be relatively low risk. Roads are blocked off. All traffic is going in the same direction. All traffic is going very slow..usually about 5 mph. Actually for a parade, I'd rather my child be in the back of a pick up, or on a float than say Walking in a band or dance group where another car is following right behind. KWIM?

CandCfam

I'd be fine letting her do both.

I would consider the parade to be relatively low risk. Roads are blocked off. All traffic is going in the same direction. All traffic is going very slow..usually about 5 mph. Actually for a parade, I'd rather my child be in the back of a pick up, or on a float than say Walking in a band or dance group where another car is following right behind. KWIM?

Ditto

I would want to make sure that there is a tail gate on the hay ride though.

We go on a drive through safari where we let the girls out of their car seats and on our laps - but it's an extremely controlled environment, very low speed, traffic (I wouldn't call it traffic, as there MIGHT be one or two cars anywhere near us, we've never had more than that near us) going all one direction. We just feel there is no imminent danger in this scenario.

Last edited:

beebear23

Senior Community Member
IMO, you gotta have some fun! We can't be safety freaks constantly. sometimes, fun is best..

I'd let my son do it. actually we have. The pumpkin patch we go to has hay rides and you ride them out to the pumkin patch...

Michi

I have ridden in the back of a truck for a parade before. The truck went VERY slow, and there were adults walking next to the truck, keeping an eye on the kids. You might want to ask if that is an option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC