Question Carseat Decisions

BabyO'smama

I have a (newly) 3 year old (40", 35lbs) who is currently riding in Britax Advocate CS 70 and I have an almost 1 year old (29", 21lbs) still in, but rapidly outgrowing, her Graco SnugRide 35. We are getting ready to make a new carseat purchase, but here is my question:

Do we move my older daughter into a booster seat and give her current seat to little sister? Or do we buy little sis a seat just like her big sisters?

Buying a booster makes the most economical sense, as we'd have to buy one down the road anyway when she outgrows her Advocate, and she is big enough for the booster (we are looking at the Britax Frontier 85 SICT), but is she any safer in the Advocate?? I don't want to compromise her safety by moving her up prematurely... Thoughts?

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A booster doesn't have a harness, and no, it's not an option. A combination seat like the Frontier is fine. It and the Advocate are both forward facing harnesses, neither is safer.

If your three year old is forward facing I wouldn't buy another convertible. That's not economical. I'd get a forward facing seat for the three year old and pass down the convertible.

Wendy

BabyO'smama

Thank you, Wendy. That does make the most sense, doesn't it? I just thought it might be too soon to move the 3 year old up, but the Advocate and the Frontier look fairly similar when used as FF only, so I think that is what I am going to do!

Mommy2Marcus

I completely agree with Wendy. A booster seat that does not have a harness in it is not a safe option for her at her age. However a combination seat that harnesses now & turns into a booster later is a good choice. I would deffinatly buy her a new seat & pass the Advocate 70 down to little sister.

A couple of good seats to look at for the 3yo would be: Britax Frontier 85, Graco Nautilus or Evenflo Maestro. All will harness her for quite a long while & then all make good boosters. The Frontier 85 or the Nautilus would be my 1st choices though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC