Question My friend FF her 15 month old

farrbabies

Hi
I'm new here. My friend responded to a post on fb of my son RF at 21 months. She first asked where on earth I found a carseat that would accommodate that. I responded with my britax and sunshine kids. I also mentioned the senera my babysitter uses for my son and it RF till 40 pounds. She said she didn't want her sons legs to be broken. I responded that broken legs are uncommon but broken necks are more serious. Any tips to convince her to turn her son around? My other friend saw the post and said her kids legs were also too long to stay RF.
Btw my sitter was so nice to reinstall her seat RF for my son. It's so nice "some" ppl understand.

I read your posts as much as I can and I love to learn.

Ellen

ADS

KaiLing

Here's some phrases I use, all across the polite / scary / confrontational spectrum:

"I used to think he'd be uncomfortable, too, but he can sleep so much better RF and I'm not messing with toddler sleep until I have to. He likes putting his legs up, like in a lounge chair, and he can see more out of the window because he'd be so much lower FF."

"Any crash that would break a RF child's legs would likely break a FF child's neck."

"They've still got those baby heads until 24 months, and in a crash their big heads are just too heavy for their spines. I'm too scared of that to go against the AAP's recommendation."

"Isn't it great that they made a Scenera that goes to 40 lbs RF? Only $50 to have my kid 5 times less likely to die or be seriously injured in the second year is great!"

"Yeah, I know we're the only family around here doing it, but I'm trying to teach my kids that peer pressure is less important than doing what we know is 5 times safer. I'm fine with people making fun of me, I'm not fine with spinal injuries."

(No one would ever tell me their kid was too tall or heavy since I've got the tallest / heaviest kid of anyone I know.)

Last edited:

SignCuer

That and I always include:

Legs- Cast it
Neck- Casket

It gets the message through quickly and swiftly. :)

Brianna

I would be as nice and friendly as you possibly can be. Tell her you're amazed at how much you didn't know about car seats and you were surprised to know that it is no longer recommended to FF at 1 year. Tell her you were concerned about legs too but you found out any crash that will break a leg RF will break a neck FF. The more you empathize with her and show her you were unaware too the more likely she is to learn with you.

What I like to do is show people the video I found that convinced my friend to keep her son RF, and tell them that I was shocked about what I didn't know before watching the video. Search youtube for "the importance of rear facing".

Jennifer mom to my 7

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=174166

This.

And, that the most common injuries in forward facing children are lower extremity injuries.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16966993

And my favorite video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car‬‏[/ame]

blog

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car‬‏[/ame]

farrbabies

Omg her husband responded..."there is a danger of sitting cross legged though if you sit to long in that position for period lengths of time even 20 minute intervals blood clots may form killing the kid. Worse yet when the kids legs are broken another projectile to kill em...listen I'm still for safety of my kids and I do what's right for them but nothing beat growing up as a kid travelling in the back of moms car...."

I responded how north American standards are way behind Swedens. They have 0 deaths due to erf. Etc...

I guess I can't convince them. :(

babygirlsmom1005

Omg her husband responded..."there is a danger of sitting cross legged though if you sit to long in that position for period lengths of time even 20 minute intervals blood clots may form killing the kid. Worse yet when the kids legs are broken another projectile to kill em...listen I'm still for safety of my kids and I do what's right for them but nothing beat growing up as a kid travelling in the back of moms car...."

I responded how north American standards are way behind Swedens. They have 0 deaths due to erf. Etc...

I'd like to see his studies showing sitting cross legged, rear facing is a fatal danger to a kid with formed blood clots :rolleyes:

Apparently the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) doesn't think it's much concern with their now min. recommendation of 2 years old http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/carseat2011.htm

That's a new excuse, I will say, I have never heard that one before. I guess I should be thanking my lucky stars my 5.5 year old is still around and not offed by a blood cloth....she was permanently turned forward facing in April of this year when she outgrew the Radian by height, before that, she was rear facing.....

canadiangie

Legs dangling off the edge of a FF seat isn't any better in terms of leg clots.

I'm not sure thrombosis (? Is that the correct term) is common in children.

But like pp said, this is a new excuse I've yet to hear either.

babygirlsmom1005

This post reminds me of a picture I took of Madeline earlier this month....yeap, forward facing leg room is a must, this is usually how she sits in her Frontier....(ignore the mixed matched socks...she dressed herself :p)

230042_229262933754411_100000121171112_1152363_5167785_n.jpg

That pic kinda reminds me of this one when she was rear facing

65456_166714340009271_100000121171112_642574_2028249_n.jpg

SAHDADDY

that is the craziest reason i have heard yet on why not to ERF

hboo22

Jaylee sits the same way in her Frontier!! With some people you can't win, I have just learned to accept that. I know my children are as safe as they can be in the car!

todzwife

Whaaaa? Because when their legs are broken, they fly off and hit them in the head? Honestly, the "we were fine, I remember rolling around in the back of mom's car" excuse gets me so angry. They are still alive because they weren't in a crash. If they HAD been in a crash they wouldn't be around. Plain and simple. But it's the "it won't happen to me" mentality.

You've done what you can. You can't convince everyone. Unfortunately almost everyone in my "circle" turns their babies around right at 1 year, despite my pleading. It's sad, but I've done everything *I* can to change their minds...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC