Question almost time for a new seat-5yr old recaro como

anysia

ok, so i'm really dreading the growth spurt that dd is likely approaching.... she is getting too tall, too quick! we don't have a ton fo money readily available at the moment to get new seats, but we'll figure it out as always.

her como has been her favorite seat since we got it. she managed to erf until around march of 2010 (just under 4 years old). she hit the weight limit for rf at that point. she has a little bit more time in her natilus, but probably not too much more than she has left in the como. i wish i had taken her actual measurements because it's been awhile. I hope i remember to do them tonight...

anywho, she'll be 5 at the beginning of september. i still plan on keeping her harnessed as long as possible. originally i had been planning on a regent because dd's torso has always been rather long for her age, however her weight has always been rather low (she's about 37lbs right now, fully clothed with shoes.... per her last dr appt (strep throat) a month ago.) but with the regent gone (it is officially gone now, right?), has anything else come close to offering a harness with that height?? i highly doubt we'll need a high weight limit for this girl, but we definitely need the height!

this is a bad picture (head on instead of from the side, plus she's leaning her head forward a little), but it gives you a general idea of how she currently fits...

ADS

anysia

thanks! i didn't realize they had increased the height from the original frontier to the frontier 85! :)

is that one the tallest out there/expected to remain the tallest?

i'd love to keep her harnessed for forever, though i realize eventually i'll have to let her out. ;)

littleangelfire

Even the original Frontier's harness was taller than the Nautilus, I believe. Though some people said it really varied depending upon the slope of your vehicle seats and how it installed there. But yes, the Frontier85 is supposed to have the same harness height as the Regent. Another bonus is you got the Frontier85 is that then you'd also be able to use it as a booster later.

And there is no evidence that harnessing is safer than a properly used booster. Personally, I think many kids aren't ready to use a booster properly until about 6 years old, sometimes 5 years old. So some time in the next year you could start booster training if you chose. Not that it's wrong to keep her harnessed - just wanted to throw it out there. And if she is a taller torsoed kiddo, the Frontier85 as a booster is taller than other boosters as well, I believe. And installs a lot easier than the original Frontier.

anysia

i may very well go with the frontier 85. i was just thinking about how we have to drive from wi to pa in august and the last time we did that, she complained about 2 hours into the trip about hurting in her nautilus. we listened to her whine for about 2 hours before giving in and letting her switch seats... At the time we had her old decathlon buckled in as a backup for her younger brother. we changed the harness height and let her ride in it rearfacing the rest of the way (she was right on the cusp weight wise for rf and we had made the choice to take her out of it instead of doing a daily weigh in, but i felt comfortable enough to let her ride that way for the long trip. we needed to retain our sanity! ;) )

in other words, i don't want to use the nauti for the trip and since she's beginning to complain about the como on short trips around town and her height is also so close to the max, i think we may need to cave and buy something sooner rather than later!

disbugsmomma

The top slots are much lower on the True Fit than the Como. My dd is on the top slots in the TF and the 2nd to top in the Como.

I would probably go with the Frontier85 as well. Nice tall slots and very tall booster too, not to mention the 9yr lifespan. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC