RSTV?

lanwenyi

We're looking at buying a RSTV. We fly freq (4-6x/yr) and the next time we fly, DD will be old enough and mature enough that we'd like to let her just ride in the plane seatbelt. We'd love to not lug a carseat along, but to do that, we'd need the RSTV on the other end. If we continue to take a carseat, we will install it on the plane for her.

Here are my questions:

How easy is it to use?

How well will it fit a 30lb, 38", long-torsoed (size 4-5 shirts), short-legged (Size 18 mths-2T pants), super skinny 4yo? (I know the old-style small will not)

Is [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Traffic-Systems-GD10101BWB-Travel/dp/B0034CUT0C/ref=pd_cp_ba_2"]this[/ame] the new version?

How comfortable would you be using it on the rare occasion (abt 1x/mth or less) that DD rides in the Miata w/ DH? (front seat, airbag switched off, lap/shoulder belt, NO top tether)

Any safety concerns with these?

Anything else I should know?

TIA

ADS

DahliaRW

Yes that is the new one.

It should fit fine. We started using it on my ds when he worse size 4/5 shirts, he's long and skinny, and it fit him great. Now my not as skinny but slightly shorter torsoed ds2 is using it and it fits him fine too.

It is fairly easy to use. The instructions are in a hidden side pocket, so they are hard to find at first. But it's a great place to keep them! Just put the vest on, tighten. Then you feed the shoulder part of the belt through the shoulder belt guides and the lap part of the belt through the 2 lap belt guides and buckle. Oh, and attach the upper tether if using. We find it easiest to just leave in the car once we've used it. To get out, after unbuckling, remove from the one lap belt guide closes to the buckle and unbuckle the vest and get out. Reverse to get back in.

They meet NHSTA standards and such, so perfectly safe.

My ds2 uses the RSTV in dh's car on occassion. Front seat, airbag is there (hopefully off due to weight, but we don't have another option in the 2 seater car), seat as far back as it will go, lap shoulder belt, no tether. I actually prefer the vest to a car seat in that situation because it puts him a few inches further back from the airbag since there is no shell pushing his body forward a few inches.

monstah

If OP doesn't mind me hijacking for a sec... How well should my 37 pound 3y10 month old fit? 4T pants and shirts.

Sent from my Nexus One using Car-Seat.Org

lanwenyi

Thanks DahliaRW! I appreciate your insight.

I thought all 2seater cars had airbag switches already?!? Our Miata is a 2006 and has a keyed switch. It's turned off when DD rides w/ DH. (It's the only car in which she rides FFing, and she's only done it once.)

I'd love to hear more experiences/opinions on it. Would this be better/worse/same as using a Nautilus/Radian untethered in the Miata?

We'd love to have the RSTV fill both needs rather than buying both a RSTV and a FFing harnessed seat for the Miata.

Monstah - I don't mind the thread-jack. From her response, it seems that your LO should fit fine, but I can't say for sure. Here's a bump in hopes that someone will respond to you!

DahliaRW

Thanks DahliaRW! I appreciate your insight.

I thought all 2seater cars had airbag switches already?!? Our Miata is a 2006 and has a keyed switch. It's turned off when DD rides w/ DH. (It's the only car in which she rides FFing, and she's only done it once.)

Unfortunately no. They can have the switch or the weighted sensor that switches off based on weight (which is less reliable, IMO). The latter is much more common now because they don't trust us to remember to turn it back on. My dh's car is a 2006 Mercedes SLK. They do make special seats with sensors that for sure turn off the airbag, but they only go to 40lbs ffing and have a low-ish harness height. My 3 yo would have outgrown it, and they're super expensive. We might invest in the booster with the sensor at some point, but the dealer was not able to order that one with us directly because it was backordered.

monstah - it sounds like it would, but can't say for sure, or course.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC