Complete Air Poll

What are you planning on doing with your RF CA?

• No change. I'll keep using it RF above 45* and/or past 40"

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Replacing it with a different RF seat to keep child rear-facing

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Turning it FF (don't have another seat to use or can't afford a new one)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters
ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would make the parental decision to use it, but I can not tell others to do the same.

gsdguenter

I can make it a spare seat, which is what I'll do once I get some time to mess around with seats. I will make more of an effort to get it closer to 45 degrees, but not kill myself or make it so reclined that I can't use my front seat :whistle:

I have thought about selling it, and I would if anyone would buy it locally, but once again, I'm not going out of my way to do anything different or race to the store to replace it, kwim.

opheliajoy

I'm so sorry:eek:, but my ds got ahold of my iPad evidently submitted an answer to the poll. I wish I knew which one he picked, but I don't. So, your results are off by one vote. So sorry!

jessi f

It's a back up for now but if DD outgrows her other seats RF before 4 it will be in use. It will not be installed at 45* and I have tall kiddos...

Unless of course actual evidence of it spontaneously combusting when used by a taller kid or installed at reasonable angle comes up. Then I'll burn it or something ;)

I do understand why techs no longer feel comfortable recommending the seat and hope Dorel gets their act together. The whole situation really is a shame.

rodentranger

I will continue to use it at about a 40* angle, but not over 40". I don't feel that I have any safer options at this time. I cannot afford two more Radians, and I will not ff a 2.5 year old when we must drive on a two lane undivided highway to leave our house in any direction.
I will not recommend to other parents to use it against manufacturer instructions.

krissybear25

I just bought mine like a week ago, so I probably will take it bak to the store. I'm having some problem with the harness catching when I'm tightening and loosening it. I'll probably get a radian or Britax seat. I really like this seat tho. I'm one ofthose people that need to know why. So I don't feel comforatble using it at another angle then recommended. And I won't use it at the angle they recommend as it is way too reclined

mimieliza

I voted "other." It will go back to being used for my 4.5 year old DD, FFing only.

DS is now RFing in his Roundabout (40 lb. version) and SS1. He has exactly 1 inch of shell on both seats. So I'm in the market for new seats.

luckyclov

I voted other, but I'm not sure it really applies, since I don't have a CA.

Just as I haven't thus far, I will continue *not* spending my money on the product(s). The same goes, actually, for Evenflo convertibles. I, personally, don't feel comfortable deviating from the manufacturer's recommendations and I have no use for a convertible that has to be installed at a 45 degree angle (or level to ground indicator) in RF mode.

sunnyday

We reclined it more than it was, but it's not "level to the ground". We'll continue to use it RF this way. We won't exceed 40".

Edit- DH & I decided to install our extra scenera RF instead. When she outgrows her seat in DH's car, we'll have to reshuffle seats and figure it out again, but for now she RF in the scenera.

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I bought a MyRide to replace it today. I knew when I bought the CA that I would be using it against instructions, but I figured the instructions were a technicality more than anything else. Over the past few days, though, I have decided that there are three potential reasons for their rules:

1) The seat actually fails/performs very badly more upright.

2) They haven't tested it more upright.

3) They have tested it, and it's fine, but they don't want to complicate matters.

The problem with Scenario 1 is obvious. The problem with Scenario 2 is that I don't want to support (and can't trust) a company that doesn't do due diligence. The problem with Scenario 3 is similar to 2, but with the added issue that it's very possible that their rules make it LESS safe for an older child. I hate the idea that they might be willing to sacrifice the safety of an older child on the chance that it might get misused for a younger child.

I soul-searched for months before I bought the CA because I had sworn I would never buy Dorel. The air cushions won me over though (and I admit I still find them amazing). However, a potential safety benefit does not, at this point, outweigh my reinforced distrust of the company and what I feel are clear safety shortcomings.

So...my daughter won't last long in the My Ride, but hopefully there will be another option by the time she outgrows it and I can pass it down to the baby.

Not sure what I'll do with the Complete Air. I've only had it for two months or so.

Cryssy Jane

I was trying to sell the CA before all of this came up. More so because it just plain doesn't fit where I need it to now. There'd be no way I could get line to level in either my car or the van though.

momtotwogirls

for now I have it for sale. I bought it because of the 40lbs rf weight limit but my youngest is slowing down on weight. Depends on how old she is when she hits 35lbs i will decide either to get a different seat or forward face.

christineka

for now I have it for sale. I bought it because of the 40lbs rf weight limit but my youngest is slowing down on weight. Depends on how old she is when she hits 35lbs i will decide either to get a different seat or forward face.

Is yours the purple one? If so, I've seen it!

As for mine, 3 of my kids can use it ffing. (The 8, 6, and 4 year olds.) I'm keeping it for a spare. Now that I'm a cpst I find that I need babysitters often and sometimes I have to install car seats. The CA is a great seat for multiple kids to share- even if they are ffing kids. My ds has been turned ffing, but in a different seat. He's over 4 years old, so I feel he's fine. If he was under 4 years old, I would have either changed to a different seat or used the CA against the guidelines. I will be staying tuned and am hoping for more clarification that says more upright is okay. My seat is good for 8 years, so there's time for that to happen.

momtotwogirls

Is yours the purple one? If so, I've seen it!

As for mine, 3 of my kids can use it ffing. (The 8, 6, and 4 year olds.) I'm keeping it for a spare. Now that I'm a cpst I find that I need babysitters often and sometimes I have to install car seats. The CA is a great seat for multiple kids to share- even if they are ffing kids. My ds has been turned ffing, but in a different seat. He's over 4 years old, so I feel he's fine. If he was under 4 years old, I would have either changed to a different seat or used the CA against the guidelines. I will be staying tuned and am hoping for more clarification that says more upright is okay. My seat is good for 8 years, so there's time for that to happen.

Yep. Up on KSL :) Also the Brown and green ETA is mine as well.

Emi's Mommy

I replaced mine with a My Ride and have put the CA away for now. I really like the seat and I hope that they might come out with testing showing it safe to use more upright RFing. If not I will probably use it as a FFing seat in a few years. Or I might sell it, who knows.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I really like the seat and I hope that they might come out with testing showing it safe to use more upright RFing.

Me too. I am quite happy installing it at 40°, but no more than that. In the short run, I will just delay moving DD out of her Onboard Air (which I also love) and continue using the CA for the 5 y.o. I babysit (FF, of course). I hope by the time either the 5 y.o. outgrows it or DD outgrows her infant seat, Dorel will either issue a recall of the seat (and I'll get my money back) or they'll announce that they have successfully tested it at more realistic angles and I will feel safe using it. I don't mind breaking "rules" on technicalities, but I have a fear that this seat actually failed crash testing at normal installation angles and this was the reason for the unusable angle they put their level line at.

I am so stressed out and upset about this. I researched and looked and spend extra money to get the SE fabric because I thought this would be the seat my daughter would use from about 10 months until booster age. Now I'm trying to decide what seat I want to use instead.

I plan to keep mine the way it is until I sell it then replace it with a true fit. (though he can get out of a true fit.. so who knows. ) I am not doing that ridiculous recline angle with it.. I doubt I will have a problem with the 40 inch thing cause mr new torso growth is only 36 inches to my shock

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I found it fairly satisfying to point out the mega recline required and the 40" limit when I was talking to an ERF-wannabe mom today, and she bought a Britax with the lovely RF tether to put in her lovely Volvo with the RF tether spot built in :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC