I'm so glad I've talked to DD about this!! (Bad mommy moment!)

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
DD is very aware of why she rides RFing and how she should be buckled in. I have talked to her about it since she was old enough to understand so that she can always remind OTHER people that she needs to be buckled with her harness snug & chest clip in the proper place...
We were leaving the mall yesterday, I opened DDs door and she climbed into her seat as she always does when I unloaded the stroller, etc... It's our standard routine except yesterday I varied from it the slightest bit and almost made a horrible mistake :(
It was very hot & humid so I started the car to get the AC going and closed DDs door after it kicked in. I finished loading the stroller, climbed into the car and started backing up. Luckily DD yelled to me "I'm not buckled!!"
I can't believe I almost drove off without her buckled. Something as simple as closing her door at a different point made my brain think she was all set. I always leave her door open until I'm done loading everything then buckle her and close it. I'm just so glad I've always told her to make sure she is buckled every time the car moves!

ADS

rachelandtyke

{{{HUGS}}} I've done that, too. If I vary the routine just in the slightest, then I am apt to forget that DD isn't buckled - thankfully she will tell me. Great reminder to be sure we are all vigilant and to teach our children from a young age so they can help to keep themselves safe!

Jennee

I just did the same thing with Dawson a couple weeks ago, he said "uh mommy, you didnt buckle me" with attitude I must ad. dont worry, it happens and at that age the rules tend to be important enough that they are the law and must be followed ALL the time

leighi123

Same thing happened when Levi's harness popped open while driving - he started SCREAMING "mom I'm not safe, pull over!"

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I've done that a few times, being pg w/ Ilana was the worst! lol After that I taught all kids to YELL "Buckle me in, buckle me in!"

Mommy2Marcus

I have done it as well. Once when I was following my IL's. I put him in & then ran to my MIL to hand her something & go put the buggy away. (We were parking in front of my IL's) I then got in & pulled off without buckling him. He started to scream that he was not buckled, so I had to pull over at the gas station below the store & buckle him.

jenfrogmom

I have done it 2 times. :mad: Once when the oldest was just born, we went to the mall, I unbuckled him in his bucket, pulled the shower cap style cover over his seat, then left to go across the street to BRU, I pulled open the cover and there he was, unbuckled. The other time we were going from Target to Wal-Mart, and he said something as we were in between stores. The bad part was, I couldn't pull over for an entire block. :(

babygirlsmom1005

Ive done it. I was leaving wal-mart and had to go to a local pharmacy (one that did compound meds). It was raining out, put Madeline in her infant seat and closed the door (with intentions of buckling her in when I got done putting groceries up). Forgot and drove to the pharmacy with her just sitting in her seat.

Now with Madeline at 5.5 years old, she can fully buckle herself into her Frontier. I am sometimes quicker than her inn getting Marshall buckled in and getting myself in and will start to back out and she'll scream, "I'm not done yet!!!"

Notaclue

I did this last week, only it took dd about 5 minutes into the drive to tell me she wasn't buckled! We were leaving a birthday party, and she was distracted with her treat bag, so she didn't notice she wasn't buckled until we had already gone about 5 minutes down a 45mph road when she started SCREAMING that she wasn't safe. I had literally nowhere to pull over (it was wooded on either side of the road). I squeezed as far off the side of the road as I could, and then reached back to buckle her.

We ALL get distracted, and this happens. Luckily we took the time to talk to our kids and explain why we buckle them in.

NannyMom

I've done it too. And like you, it was changing my routine. I know once it was because it was raining. I usually kept Sofi in the shopping cart while I loaded stuff into the trunk, then put the cart away and walked with her back to teh van and buckled her. It was raining so I put her in the van, then the bags, then the cart back. I then went and got in and ready to drive off. So.... (((HuGS))) I've been there too.

DahliaRW

We did that once, though it wasn't my fault. Dh put ds (who was under 1 at the time) in the car rfing in a triumph. About two miles away I looked back and he was leaning over the side looking at us. I nearly killed dh!!!!!

Lenae

Once on a roadtrip but driving separate cars, DH and I stopped at a scenic overview or something like that, and we let DS out of my car. DH put DS back into my car while I was grabbing something out of his car. He thought I was going to come buckle DS in because I'm pretty anal about how it's done. Well, I just assumed he had done it. Driving down the FREEWAY for about five minutes, DS pops up over the seatback and says 'hi'. I literally screamed in shock, and pulled off the road, like that second. I was sooooo mad at DH for not buckling in DS or at least telling me he hadn't. My hads were shaking for the last three hours of the drive. I was so scared, and almost in tears.

opheliajoy

I have done this more than once, usually when pregnant or if dh is with me. He throws our routine off! Really scary, huh?

AtownMom

I've done it, too. You're not alone. It is actually WAY easier to forget that we sometimes realize it is. And, like you, in the instance that I did/so, I was so grateful that my dd started loudly protesting and telling me. She's now old enough and mature enough that I have even gotten in the habit of asking her to look over at her little brother, too, JIC. It really is one of those moments where if you talk with them as you go about your day, every day, they learn and understand way more than we realize.

TiaxMarie

I did the same thing with Sophie on Saturday! It was raining so I closed her door and I always keep it open to remind me to buckle her. Same thing happend, she yelled at me to stop because she wasn't safe!

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
It's definitely nice to know I'm not the only one that has done this. It's just yet another reminder of why it's so important to teach them so early why they ride the way they do and what is/isn't safe!

libranbutterfly

I have done that a few times too. I taught the girls to tell people if they arent buckled, and we also added thumbs up and blow kisses in the rear view to our routine. I did that when Kamille started buckling herself.

farrbabies

I've done that ONCE! Omg I was so mad at myself. It must be more common with bucket seats. My son was just a few weeks old too. Luckily nothing happened. :)

AnnieW625

I have done that once or twice. The first time I know for sure I put DD1 in her infant seat and didn't buckly it all of the way. I drove to the pediatricians office, which was 10 minutes from home. She was 4 days old. I know I also did only the top buckles before once she was in a convertible or the Frontier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC