Cotton nightgowns for girls -- where to find them?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The problem you are going to have is that it is literally illegal to have a cotton inghtgown for kids. Childrens sleepwear is required to be either flame resistant (chemically treated) OR it must fit snugly. So...there are options like the one under "gap kids" that ulrike posted...it isn't a nightgown, but a snug-fitting underwear set. Or, like the link under "hanna andersson", you can get something not designed to be sleepwear (thus not falling under the regulations) that is loose and nightgown-like, and made of pure cotton. But you can not find a loose, flowy, 100% cotton nightgown, because it doesn't meet fire laws.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Gap one says it's a nightgown. It may not be pretty and flowy, but it's still "dress-like" sleepwear.

The Boden one is designed to be sleepwear and is 100% cotton. It is treated to be flame retardant.

Regardless, it is not illegal to *HAVE* PJs that are not flame resistant, it is merely illegal to *SELL* PJs that are not flame resistant.

BrookeSLP

That really stinks. I don't like the nylon/polyester ones and my girls have decided they want nightgowns, not PJs. Thanks.

amy919

My girls reguse to wear anything but nighgowns, too. I love the ones from Baby Gap and Gymboree!

Amy

Simplysomething

I don't have girls, so I don't know. But I looked that the hanna anderson link--and was reminded of when i used to wear dresses...and slips under them. (until I was about 7. lol). My grandmother always called the slip a petticoat, and it bugged me (she still does).

Googling "cotton nightgowns for girls" is zero help.
most of the ones i get aren't actually cotton, but polyester.
This one says they have cotton.
http://www.bestdressedchild.com/sleeppajslip.html

If you want to dress your daughter like Laura Ingalls...
(Oh, shoot, the dresses are really cute)

twokidstwodogs

Skivvydoodles makes really nice, loose-fitting cotton summer pajamas, including nightgowns. They say that their cotton is treated for flame resistance, but it feels like ordinary cotton. DD#1 has a nightgown and a pair of short pajamas made by them, and she really likes them. Lots of cute print. Just Google it--you'll find web sources easily enough. So you know, they run large and don't seem to shrink all that much. Sara's Prints is another brand that might work for you.

But Hanna Andersson won't be much help. I adore their stuff, and we have lots of it. But they've had to revamp all their pajamas to get them up to flame resistance standards. All their organic long johns and short johns are getting redesigned to make them more snug-fitting. Rats!

Edited to add:
Here's a link to a site that sells them:
http://fitsyou.stores.yahoo.net/girlsgowns218.html

I've never bought from there, but the selection seems good. Try www.bestdressedkids.com too.

Tracy

CPST Instructor
no help for finding cotton nightgowns, but you reminded me: when my youngest was little she used to called her nightgown a 'nightingale'. :D She got it from watching the opening of Cinderella where she wakes up and sings about a nightingale. It was hilarious to watch her sing the song to her little nightgown when she took it off in the morning...

teekadog

Try looking overseas. When I was a little girl, my mom's friend in France would always send us some wonderful ones. Of course this was years ago :rolleyes:

OnTheBrink

I had this problem, too. I ended up hiring someone local to make some basic ones. Emma and I went and picked up cotton fabrics that she liked and gave them to the woman. She said it was super easy and it ended up being fairly cheap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC