Played with the Momentum and Radian today (pics)!

zactayaus

So Gavin and I headed out to BRU today to play with some seats, check out some strollers, and meet lorinick form here who just so happens to work at BRU.:D

It was great to meet another c-s.orger and Lori was so nice and helpful.:) Gavin on the other hand was being his little uncooperative toddler self.:rolleyes:

First we tried out the Momentum. Gavin did like this seat and happily got right in and let me buckle him up without issues. I'm not sold on this seat though. I didn't think he had much more room above his head than he has in our MA's and if he did it wasn't a significant amount. I dislike the harness system, although I'm sure I could live with it. It did seem comfy and it did seem to have more leg room then in the MA's, but I still like the MA better.

Here are some pics of Gavin in the Momentum:
101_1305.jpg

101_1306.jpg

101_1307.jpg

After this seat Gavin was done with car seats and flat out refused, in all his toddler glory, to get in the RN so we moved on to the strollers where he fell in love with the newest version of the Jeep Liberty stroller (sorry, no stroller pics). He didn't even want to get out of it. I put him in the BJCM for like a minute and all he wanted was out of that and back into the Jeep.:rolleyes:

We walked around a bit and heading back for the car seats where I was able to persuade Gavin to try out the RN but it only lasted for a few seconds and then he wanted out! I'll start by saying I hate, hate, hate the harness adjuster on this seat (what a PITA!). Gavin did however have a ton of room above his head. If I happened upon a killer deal on an RN I would seriously consider it but it'd really have to be one heck of a deal.

Here are some pics of him in the RN:
101_1310.jpg

101_1312.jpg

Trying to escape:p:
101_1309.jpg

Completely and totally done now:eek::
101_1311.jpg

And a pic of Lori:
101_1308.jpg

I seriously wish I lived closer to BRU because I would so love to get a job there.:cool: I would be in my glory.

ADS

bnsnyde

Does he have a long torso?
:) Looks similar to my oldest two with the fit of the seats.

Wish the Radian harness adjustor were different, too. It's a pain.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
He has loads of room!

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

cheerbop

Thanks for this! Gavin looks like he has the same amount of room in the Momentum as our DS we PMd you about. We just could not get the harness to go correctly over his thigh area. It kept ending up on his waist.
I also liked my current MA better than that one.

I so wish, though, that our BRU had a RN to try But you are right, he does have a ton of room.

We ended up getting a new, but damaged box MA70 on NoBetterDeal for $120. We are hopoing he will get much more time in that weight-wise.
Now if he grows a ton in the next year, we may *have* to look at a RN.

zactayaus

Does he have a long torso?
:) Looks similar to my oldest two with the fit of the seats.

Wish the Radian harness adjustor were different, too. It's a pain.

Yes he does have a long torso, although it has slowed down quite a bit to allow for his legs to catch up.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Whoa I didn't know BRU carried the Radian in some areas? Ours definitely doesn't! I had to go to BRU yesterday and I strolled through the car seat aisle but there was nothing exciting... I did look at the Rumi... omg :thumbsdown: it's horrid!

He's so funny trying to break out of the harness!! lol two year olds are sooo fun sometimes!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
He's adorable.

What BRU was that? I've never seem one that carried Radians!

Pixels

Thanks for this! Gavin looks like he has the same amount of room in the Momentum as our DS we PMd you about. We just could not get the harness to go correctly over his thigh area. It kept ending up on his waist.

Harness over the waist is fine. You can't control it, it passed testing that way and the only harness-related injuries I've ever heard of are bruising on the thighs and shoulders.

I have a seat with an adjustable length crotch strap. The instructions specify that the crotch strap is to be adjusted so that the bottom of the harness strap is 1.5 inches above the top of the thigh. Of course that puts the harness up on the waist, not the thighs.

zactayaus

He's adorable.

What BRU was that? I've never seem one that carried Radians!

It was the Cherry Hill, NJ BRU. They are a test store, so they get stuff that other BRU's won't sell in store. If it sells good I guess then they'll let other BRU's sell it. How far away are you from them?

creideamh

WOW your BRU looks awesome!! Ours has like 10 car seats total :p
I've seen the Momentum IRL, and in theory it looks nice, padded, etc, but holy moly it seems SO HUGE!!

Kat_Momof3

I don't mind huge (unless you will need it in a 3-across), and I say if he's happy, then we all should be happy (as toddlers can be gruesome when unhappy)

I like how he looks in the Momentum... there's plenty of grow room and he'll at least be able to rearface for another year or two... (I say this since I see you mentioned his legs have started to grow)

However, what's his weight at? I know your other kids are REALLY slim and I'm wondering when that usually happens for you guys... because if he's going to be built like them and not gain soon, then he might be able to get away with a First years truefit, which would offer THE MOST headroom.

heck, if he's still that weight in your siggy, the almost 5lbs should get him at least that year or so he'd have rearfacing in the Momentum.

zactayaus

I don't mind huge (unless you will need it in a 3-across), and I say if he's happy, then we all should be happy (as toddlers can be gruesome when unhappy)

I like how he looks in the Momentum... there's plenty of grow room and he'll at least be able to rearface for another year or two... (I say this since I see you mentioned his legs have started to grow)

However, what's his weight at? I know your other kids are REALLY slim and I'm wondering when that usually happens for you guys... because if he's going to be built like them and not gain soon, then he might be able to get away with a First years truefit, which would offer THE MOST headroom.

heck, if he's still that weight in your siggy, the almost 5lbs should get him at least that year or so he'd have rearfacing in the Momentum.

Gavin is built totally different then my other kids. He is solid and has what dh affectionately calls "tree trunk" legs.:eek: I just weighed him now and he is 30lbs in only a dipe and he has been sick on and off for the past 3 weeks so hasn't been eating up to par. The last time he was weighed he had gained a pound and a half in just 3 weeks. My other kids did not hit 30lbs until they were 3+ years old, so he's on his very own growth curve. I'm afraid to get another 35lb seat in case he decides to make up for the past few weeks and pack on the weight again. I mean if he gains two pounds in the next few months (highly likely) and then has on a pound worth of clothes/shoes he's already at 33lbs. Then again he may slow down considerably on the weight gain and we could have tons of time but I'd rather not spend the money on a 35lb seat just in case. KWIM.

zactayaus

I also keep forgetting the fact that dh has a pickup truck. How do you all feel about non tethered RF'ing seats in pickups? There is no headrest in the center position (were his current seat is installed) so I'm afraid he'd rebound into the rear windshield. Is my concern a valid one?

Kac

It was the Cherry Hill, NJ BRU. They are a test store, so they get stuff that other BRU's won't sell in store. If it sells good I guess then they'll let other BRU's sell it. How far away are you from them?

An hourish. Do they have CCOs? I might have to go check it out!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I also keep forgetting the fact that dh has a pickup truck. How do you all feel about non tethered RF'ing seats in pickups? There is no headrest in the center position (were his current seat is installed) so I'm afraid he'd rebound into the rear windshield. Is my concern a valid one?

We have a RF Scenera in DH's Dodge Dakota Club Cab... I was really worried about that too, but I read one of the more senior techs here (I think Pixels?) saying that the seat rebounding that far and with enough force by the time it gets to the window to be scary is pretty unlikely, that eased my mind a lot about it.

Kac

No they didn't but I believe BBB does and they are only about 5 min from there.

Ok, I think we all need to get together then! Seriously I had no idea you worked there too!

I'm so there if you all take a trip there. I want to play with a CCO, so I could go to BBB after. :)

Pixels

zactayaus said:

While my preference is to tether if it's a tetherable seat, just in case, I have also chosen to use a non-tetherable seat even though I had Radians available.

Most likely, the seat won't rebound that far. In the crash test videos I've watched, I don't think I have seen one where the child actually made contact with the vehicle seat/headrest - admittedly , it's been a while so I could be misremembering. In order for the glass to be a problem, not only would the seat have to rebound far enough to hit the seat back, it would have to rebound hard enough to throw the child's head an additional couple of inches to the glass and impact with enough force to be significant. Highly unlikely scenario IMO. In a crash with enough energy to cause that much rebound, RFing instead of FFing is going to be a much more significant factor. If it worries you, I would instead focus on getting a seat that will allow for maximum RFing time, regardless of tether capability.

cryswilkins

I really like his fit in the Radian. Why did you not like the harness adjuster? I don't find it any more of a pain than any of my Britax seats.

Is there not a good tether spot in the truck? My preference would be to tether a seat in a truck if it was a seat that was able to be tethered.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC