So how many of you are going to keep your CA's more upright?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
kidzndogz said:
Whatever Jennie, you totally have the seat because if the mini airbags in the headrest. It has those, right? Because that's what the guy at BRU told me. ;)

LOL, isn't that what I said? You know, the whoopee cushions.

Look, I'm already ashamed that I own the seat in the first place. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

ADS

lovemybabies924

LISmama810 said:
FTR, the ONLY reason I have this seat is because of the air pockets. I truly believe they could be hugely beneficial. If it weren't for those I'd ditch the seat in a heartbeat over this issue and the fact that I can't stand Dorel.

Is there data to show the air is better than eps? Or equal? I really like them as well :)

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Emi's Mommy

I'm trying to sell it.

We installed DH's AOE in my car with the line level and my front seat is pretty much unusable right now. And I hate how her head is flopped over. It annoys me greatly. So I'm wavering and might reinstall it the way it was in my car. I really like my CA, but all this nonsense bothers me.

Shanora

Meh I just did an instal with one this morning, I installed it at about 35*. Didn't even think twice about it.

Something that was pointed out to me this past weekend was that the average parent only has access to the vehicle and car seat manuals, and goes with that. Also to keep it as simple as possible.

Well you can use it to 40lbs, and 40" Tall. Now if I'd heard the 1" rule before as a parent, and it had been recommended to me by another tech, chances are I'm going to use the seat to that point, as long as it fits the child weight wise.

I think that to many people over think things, and then thats where the panic comes into play.

It passes safety Standards both in Canada AND the USA and it doesn't over rotate rear-facing with a 40lb child, then I see no issues with using it or recommending it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
lovemybabies924 said:
Is there data to show the air is better than eps? Or equal? I really like them as well :)

No real data. I just like the idea of a pre-inflated airbag sitting next to my kid's head. As a front seat passenger I'd rather hit air than foam, so why not in car seats too?

cookie123

So, those of you who plan to use it, are you installing at 45 degrees, or to make the line level with the ground?

it took me forever to even get one cause I HATED the air bags.. the stupid boob implants next to their head, and I truely believe eps foam is better.. but when radians were having issues, everyone was recomending the CA.. I thought maybe I should give it a try.. and it installed annoyingly but it was fine.. I got a second in swap and figured I would just use those seats from now on since Nolan is getting so big, I wished it did not have the big air bags, but oh well.. I like radians better, I should have just done seatbelt installs with mine and got over it. I am just using the CA like it is, cause I can't fit it when it is laying down.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
At Lifesavers there was an airbag session and Dorel showed some footage of a dummy head hitting various surfaces. I don't know if EPS/EPP was one of them, but the heads basically just bounced around. When it hit the air, you could see the bag absorbing the forces.

I had actually gotten rid of my Complete Air the day before I left for the conference. The airbag demonstration was enough to convince me to get another one. :rolleyes:

jjordan

If I had one I'd put it more upright in a heartbeat. They have not changed anything since the seat came out years ago. They have always recommended the line be level, and acknowledged that it can be more upright for older kids. They simply said it again this week.

Wendy

My reading of what they wrote is pretty much the opposite of that - they specifically said that it can NOT be more upright for older kids, right? It's always been techs who go by the "30*-45* reclined" rule of thumb rather than the overriding rule of RTM that say it can be more upright.

DahliaRW

Russ is reading and giggling maniacally at all the people buying Radians because of this. Lol.

If the stupid radian didn't overrecline in my van I'd have that instead of the MR I bought and the CA I bought. I have no other tall-shell rfing option other than the CA for my vehicle. Unless something new comes out or SKJP is smart enough to redesign the recline boot of the radian!

Stelvis

DahliaRW said:
If the stupid radian didn't overrecline in my van I'd have that instead of the MR I bought and the CA I bought. I have no other tall-shell rfing option other than the CA for my vehicle. Unless something new comes out or SKJP is smart enough to redesign the recline boot of the radian!

If they make the front of that boot any shorter, my guess is it would cause even more Superlatch issues...there would nowhere for it to lay flat with flat webbing.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Shorter may not be the answer for the boot - perhaps a longer boot that places the seat further from the seatback, or extends underneath the seat further. (Option a could also have the potential to solve sl issues by changing where the adjuster hits, as well.)

Sorry that was ot for the thread. I don't have a CA but would not change any educated decision I had formerly made.

Stelvis

Carrie_R said:
Shorter may not be the answer for the boot - perhaps a longer boot that places the seat further from the seatback, or extends underneath the seat further. (Option a could also have the potential to solve sl issues by changing where the adjuster hits, as well.)

Sorry that was ot for the thread. I don't have a CA but would not change any educated decision I had formerly made.

That's a good point.

mykidsmylife

I will still use mine upright as long as I have it. I am selling it as I am wanting a Radian XTSL...

At checks I will inform the parents of the rules, install seat at 45 degrees and let them decide how they want to re-install and document that decision.

pastrygirl

Well, I installed my new-to-me CA65 in my husband's car, and used the embossed line as a guide, rather than the sticker, which is WAY off angle. It actually installed pretty well. It doesn't look too reclined, but not as upright as I might normally do. The front seat is pushed up slightly from where it was before. That gave me hope, so I reinstalled it in my car. It ended up slightly more upright than the line, but I'm OK with that. More reclined than it was, but I think the front seat is in the same position.

I'm very comfortable with my installs.

rodentranger

Since my current options in MIL's and my mom's cars are to a) install at a 30-35* angle or b)install forward facing, I intend on going with (a) until YDS is 3 or outgrows by height. I am going with the 40" limit, as I chose to do with ODS in the CA.
At the point where YDS has outgrown the CA, he will continue to rf in my vehicle in the XTSL and be ff in the other vehicles unless something else comes out that allows for longer rf'ing without importing.
I live in the middle of a triangle of two-lane undivided highways. I don't even like that ODS is ff'ing and has to be outboard in MIL's car, but I don't have any other options.

ntrenary

I planned to keep mine RFing just the way I had it (about 30*) but I had to take it out so my DS could ride with grandma today, and when I went to put it back in my car I decided to install it FFing.
My DS will be 4 next month and I felt it wasn't worth all the stress when he's perfectly safe FFing now. If he was under 3 I'd probably take the chance and keep him RFing.
The thing I'm concerned about isn't over rotating because it was braced against the passenger seat, but I was worried about it rebounding because my car doesn't have headrests in the back seat so my DS would rebound into the hard plastic behind the seat or the back window. I wish the CA allowed a RFing tether.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC