So how many of you are going to keep your CA's more upright?

I went and installed mine with the line level and it is the most rediculous thing, Nolan was LAYING DOWN.. and honestly looked terrified.

I do not know if it will sell since I doubt anyone wants to buy one this second.. SO I was thinking about it, and honestly, the recline they want, seems very unsafe, esp for an older child.. also we go against manufacture guidelines all the time for using seats more upright.. and kids come out safe in most cases. I think I personally am going to keep using the seat installed more upright, and honestly the height thing is not a big deal to us.. Nolan is a walking Torso these days, but is only 36 inches tall! I thought he was way taller than that! lol

that buys us time?
Am I the only mom who feels this way?

ADS

SignCuer

I doubt it...

I'm gonna keep it as it was before as a tech decision but will inform all parents like I always do.

However it's installed FF right now. I may get another CA anyway. I prefer those over the Radians.

momtotwogirls

I have brought mine in the house and put the FN in for my oldest. Im trying to sell it and Im going to wait until next yr to see if something else comes out that i can use for my 2 yr old. Right now she is in a TFP but I think she is going to outgrow it in weight by 3.

christineka

If I put mine back in rfing, it will be more upright. I have to put it all back together and do a photo shoot with it. I'm going to try to sell it. I haven't decided which seat to put in yet. I have until tomorrow to make a seat decision.

sunnyday

Ours is reclined more than it was, but it's not level with the line. It's either use it as it is, or turn FF, and I'm confident that she is safer RFing in it this way than she would be FF.

pastrygirl

I haven't done anything yet. I might try to install it like that video, where it starts level but gets more upright as it tightens. I'll have to see what the 65 looks like in my husband's car, and decide then.

DahliaRW

They way they word it is "we cannot recommend" not " it is unsafe to do so". FWIW, I would use it more upright and I would use it above 40". They originally claimed that the 40" thing was due to overrotation (which I doubt anyways) and if so, being more upright is going to help with that. My guess is they have not tested it differently so they cannot officially recommend these practices.

That being said, ds2 outgrew the CA rfing before 40" (by weight). Though he was more upright in it the whole time he used it. I think dd will outgrow her MR within a year or so (she looks like she has more room, but that is becuase the foam is about 1/4 to 3/8" above the top of the shell). She probalby has 1 - 1 1/2" before outgrowing rfing by height. If she's not 4, I will use the CA for her, more upright.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I'm going to *try* to get a 45* angle and go from there. He's 38" and all torso so after hearing about the over-rotation, I'm not confident in going over like I was prior to hearing that. Now with this 45* thing, we are looking at getting a Radian. We'll get by until then but I will be selling it. It just sucks because there aren't many options for us with his long torso and huge head. I discovered the other day that he has outgrown the Scenera RF..He's right at the top slots but his head is right at the 1" mark :(

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If I had one I'd put it more upright in a heartbeat. They have not changed anything since the seat came out years ago. They have always recommended the line be level, and acknowledged that it can be more upright for older kids. They simply said it again this week.

Wendy

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I gave mine away because they were outgrown. But, I'd absolutely install one more upright still. And use over 40 inches as long as the child had good head clearance.

Maybe you can help me feel better about it? :eek: I was ok with it but now I feel like I don't know what to do. I'm so anxios over it. We can't afford another seat right now and I was doing good to get to 35-40 degrees when we bought it. No idea how I'll get more..plus he's 38" :(

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have mine installed more upright and it will remain that way.

I can't recommend what other people should/shouldn't do, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it, just like I didn't lose sleep over it before.

Last edited:

smileybrea

CPS Technician
If I had one I'd put it more upright in a heartbeat. They have not changed anything since the seat came out years ago. They have always recommended the line be level, and acknowledged that it can be more upright for older kids. They simply said it again this week.

Wendy

Would you use it over 40" (with proper head room)?

flutie128

If I had one I would install it more upright because I doubt even a baby needs a recline you achieve with the line level. I think they need to check the level line they stamp on their seats.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Would you use it over 40" (with proper head room)?

Absolutely. Since the concern is whiplash protection from the shell of the seat to the level of the eyes, a child with the top of their head at the top of the shell should be well protected, regardless of their overall height.

Wendy

kidzndogz

Russ is reading and giggling maniacally at all the people buying Radians because of this. Lol.

I don't have a complete air but I guess I'm in the minority that I would probably ditch the seat. Not because I think kids are gonna start spontaneously combusting if they aren't laying down at 45 degrees, but because if it's an issue of them just not testing it more upright, it irks me that they are half-assing it and not bothering to test it in a way they KNOW people are using it. Because come on, how many people are going to have it installed that reclined? It's their seat and they should know how it performs when it's not freaking laying down on it's back. It's like they tested it at an angle for a noob and just quit there because they were satisfied with the bare minimum. I'm not really into the bare minimum when it comes to my kid in a wreck.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
FTR, the ONLY reason I have this seat is because of the air pockets. I truly believe they could be hugely beneficial. If it weren't for those I'd ditch the seat in a heartbeat over this issue and the fact that I can't stand Dorel.

kidzndogz

LISmama810 said:
FTR, the ONLY reason I have this seat is because of the air pockets. I truly believe they could be hugely beneficial. If it weren't for those I'd ditch the seat in a heartbeat over this issue and the fact that I can't stand Dorel.

Whatever Jennie, you totally have the seat because if the mini airbags in the headrest. It has those, right? Because that's what the guy at BRU told me. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC