As we eek out the last inch or two in our MA's...

zactayaus

...the great Radian debate rages on within me.:p I seriously thought I'd be fine switching Gavin to FF when he outgrew his MA's but now I'm not feeling so good about it. I mean he only just turned 2yo. I'm thinking more and more about the RN's each and every day. I'm really hoping he can make it through the summer in the MA's. I love them so much.

Here's some pics I took from today:

This is with his head leaning to the side:
101_1301-1.jpg

This is with me holding his head upright:
101_1299.jpg

A couple full body shots:
101_1293.jpg

101_1297.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

zactayaus

What about a Momentum? Its not quite as tall as the Radian but it is pretty tall. probably get him 2-3 more inches.

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that. They only issue might be the width in my Suburban because he needs to go in the middle (it's lap belt only) and the seat next to him needs to be able to flip up and down for access to the 3rd row. It definitely wouldn't be an issue in dh's truck though. I'm planning on heading out to BRU tomorrow to check out some strollers. Of course I'll be checking out the car seat isle as well, so now I'll plan on trying him out in the Momentum (I hope the have one there).

Thanks.:)

hrice

I had a TF in the center of my '07 Yukon and was able to tumble the OB seat. The TF is pretty darn wide.

bnsnyde

Yep, we have Britax seats too and one about to be outgrown RF within the year, so our next choice was the Momentum.

I've decided to go with Radian. It fits in our van, and it RF tethers (which was very important to me). Plus, we have this seat. If she goes over 40 lbs. then I'll upgrade to a 45 lb. one.

Evenflo insisted the Momentum had to be full recline RF. They would not budge. So I don't think it would fit where I wanted to put it at that recline. The Radian will create some interesting logistical issues for us. My oldest might have to throw himself in through the van trunk to get in! We'll work it out. :)

Jillybeans5

I got my Momentum when DS out grew his MA by weight at 2, it is quite tall, he has a lot of room in it. As for the recline, the shell is so rounded that kids sit more upright as they get taller and it takes up so little space front to back that it really isn't an issue. I loved my MA's and while I don't love the Momentum, I do really like it.;)

cheerbop

We tried out our 2yo in the Momentum and just an FYI, on *our* DS, the straps hit him way too high onto his belly instead of lower where they should be.
Maybe your DS will fit better, though.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out after trying him in seats at BRU :)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
bsnyde, I'm not completely certain but I think that's mechanical recline. Once it's in the reclined position, you can make it as upright as you want. You just can't use it in the more upright recline positions (if that makes sense.)

Was there a Suburban redesign between '99 and '00? I know Shanna has gone round and round and has found the RN to be incompatible in those positions.

I would probably look at the Evenflo seats, too. If that seat can flip with the MA there it might work with the EFT65 or Momentum, as well.

ETA: Has his weight slowed down sigificantly? If so, maybe a TF? Crazy-tall shell and those 4.5lbs could last quite a while...

zactayaus

bsnyde, I'm not completely certain but I think that's mechanical recline. Once it's in the reclined position, you can make it as upright as you want. You just can't use it in the more upright recline positions (if that makes sense.)

Was there a Suburban redesign between '99 and '00? I know Shanna has gone round and round and has found the RN to be incompatible in those positions.

I would probably look at the Evenflo seats, too. If that seat can flip with the MA there it might work with the EFT65 or Momentum, as well.

ETA: Has his weight slowed down sigificantly? If so, maybe a TF? Crazy-tall shell and those 4.5lbs could last quite a while...

There was a redesign between those years and Monstah and I were able to get a good RN install in the middle 2nd row in my truck last year.

I haven't weighed him in a while. The last time I weighed him he was 30.5lbs and had gained 1.5lbs in just 3 weeks!:eek: He's been sick on and off for the past three weeks and hasn't been eating up to par so hopefully he hasn't gained any more but I'm crossing all 35lb seats off my list just in case.;)

monstah

OMG. Seriously, I :love::love: when you post pictures of him!! My brain sort of goes.. "I wonder if I can offer advi... OHLOOKITZGAVIN!!!AAWWW!!!"

:p

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
He has like 3" in there ;) so he's good for at least several months.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

cryswilkins

I agree that you have more time that you think.

I would also get a Radian, you will have to do the seatbelt anyway so the SL issue is a non-issue. You probably would be able to get a pretty good install with a lap-belt in the center. I find that those are the best for Radians.

cookie123

How can a boy be so cute? Only Matthew is cuter.:) At any rate, he can't already be old enough to consider ff. No way.

zactayaus

Aw, thanks everyone.:D I'll have to get some awake pics up sometime soon. He's even cuter when he's awake.:p

fyrfightermomma

My big guy will be going into a radian shortly as well with a seatbelt install and it doesn't phase me in the least honestly. I've used it for all 3 with no second thoughts. I'd just skip the LATCH (which you are doing anyways)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Wait, you got a Radian installed in the center of your 2000 Sub??? Cause I can't do it in mine (also a 2000). :( WHAT DID YOU DO???? Cause I don't know if Kaylee will make it to 3 in her BV70. And I have 2 RN's....

zactayaus

Wait, you got a Radian installed in the center of your 2000 Sub??? Cause I can't do it in mine (also a 2000). :( WHAT DID YOU DO???? Cause I don't know if Kaylee will make it to 3 in her BV70. And I have 2 RN's....

I don't really remember us doing anything special and we were able to get it rock solid and at a great angle. Maybe Monstah will chime in and tell if she remembers us having to do anything different.:shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC