Safety 1st clarifies CA limits on FB

ADS

njkj

Re: Saftey 1st clarifies CA limits on FB

Your faster than me :).

Clarification that I will NOT ever have a Ca :(. I was going to get one to give DD more leg room but now, I guess not :(.

Brianna

:yeahthat: Facebook is blocked at work and I'm dying to know!

njkj

Safety 1st fans:
We realize that with the dialogue back and forth yesterday and conversations spread out among numerous posts, there may have been cause for confusion about our recommendations for proper installation of the Complete Air. Because of this, we want to clarify three areas for you:

Height limitation of the Complete Air: If you would like to rear face your child in the Complete Air, he or she must be 40” or under and their head must not reach past the top of the headrest. If your child is 40” but still has clearance to the top of the headrest, we cannot recommend that you use the Complete Air to rear face your child. Once your child has reached 40 lbs or 40" or if the top of your child's head reaches past the top of the headrest (any one of these criteria), we cannot recommend you use this car seat to rear face your child.

Recline Angle: When the level-to-ground line on the Complete Air is used correctly, the back angle and the level-to-ground line that is molded in the side of the car seat should be 45-degrees. If you cannot achieve this angle in your vehicle, we cannot recommend you use this car seat to rear face your child.

Clearance from the top of the shell: When rear facing your child in the Complete Air, we do not use the 1” clearance rule of thumb. Instead, we state you can use the seat up to the point that the top of the child's head does not go past the top of the headrest as long as your child is not over 40" or over 40 lbs. At this time, the 1" rule only applies to our infant car seat. It is a specific guideline to each manufacturer, not an industry standard.

It is our policy and CPS Curriculum to follow the manufacturer's written instructions. It is the case with all of our car seats (except the onBoard Infant Seat which has dual level positions),to use the level-to-ground line for all weights and heights while rear-facing, which is 45 degrees. We are in touch with our consumer relations department to ensure that all information provided to consumers is consistent.

We are committed to providing our consumers with good, solid information about our products and hope this helps clarify your questions.

Here you go :)!

sunnyday

Your faster than me :).

Clarification that I will NOT ever have a Ca :(. I was going to get one to give DD more leg room but now, I guess not :(.

I literally JUST sat down at my comp and saw it come up on FB. I immediately ran here and posted :p

For DD, the 40" isn't really a problem. She's a peanut so I'm sure by the time she reaches 40" she'll be old enough to FF. The recline angle is another story though, I have no idea if that's actually going to fit in our vehicle. May need to move her over to the passenger side to achieve that, and I'm sure she's not going to be pleased about practically laying down.

I do wish they had clarified WHY exactly the recline angle was necessary, as well as the height issue. I love the seat, but all these limitations make me kind of regret the purchase. Had I to do it over again, I would have gotten her a MyRide.

smackeen

Hmmmm, looks like I will need to be fiddling with pool noodles...:(

Luckily the 40in does not come into play yet, but that recline sucks. :(

sunnyday

Hmmmm, looks like I will need to be fiddling with pool noodles...:(

Luckily the 40in does not come into play yet, but that recline sucks. :(

The thing is, we've already got a 3-noodle tower underneath! Is it even safe to do more?

smackeen

The thing is, we've already got a 3-noodle tower underneath! Is it even safe to do more?

I don't know what the limit would be. I have/had a great install without, but now I must go and uninstall and try to find the pool noodles where ever I placed them.

ahgirls

Yeah that!
To what Pixels said. I am slow typer.

Does anyone have pictures of more then 3 noddles? I would love to see them.

Last edited:

Dorothy

ahgirls said:
Yeah that!
To what Pixels said. I am slow typer.

Does anyone have pictures of more then 3 noddles? I would love to see them.

Wendy had a five noodle pyramid under a TF. I found it searching for "noodle pyramid".

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

Luckily my 23 month old is only 30", so he's good heighwise, but there is no way it will fit in any of our vehicles RF at 45*. Luckily I have a spare seat, and I think the CA is going to be relegated to storage.

InternationalMama

This is such a disappointment. Because of this

It is the case with all of our car seats (except the onBoard Infant Seat which has dual level positions),to use the level-to-ground line for all weights and heights while rear-facing, which is 45 degrees.

We are going to have to stop using our Safety 1st Avenue to travel. I already use a 3-noodle pyramid just to get a decent recline angle and there is no way I could carry more. I also doubt it would fit in most cars we rent with front passenger room when reclined to 45 degrees.

I always happily ignored the recline angle line on the advice of techs here. I now regret advising others to do the same. Even though I still don't think it makes much sense, I think I will be vigilantly following manufacturer instructions from now on.

smackeen

Just attempted the recline. It is NOT going to happen. It would almost make the passenger seat unusable in our van.

Guess I will have to turn my 30lb 3.5 year old. Thankfully, this is not DS#3's seat (yet).

Dorothy

InternationalMama said:
This is such a disappointment. Because of this

We are going to have to stop using our Safety 1st Avenue to travel. I already use a 3-noodle pyramid just to get a decent recline angle and there is no way I could carry more. I also doubt it would fit in most cars we rent with front passenger room when reclined to 45 degrees.

I always happily ignored the recline angle line on the advice of techs here. I now regret advising others to do the same. Even though I still don't think it makes much sense, I think I will be vigilantly following manufacturer instructions from now on.

We have an Ave... :-( Good thing its ffing right now.

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC